R1100RT, needing the collective wisdom. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

R1100RT, needing the collective wisdom.

I have an opportunity to acquire a 1999 R1100RT with 80k on the clock It has been well maintained and is a strong runner. What kind of life expectancy can I anticipate from a machine of this mileage, what can I expect to break, would you stay away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 3:02 pm

I know of very few other makes of motorcycles that 80K miles isn't really considered to be 'spent'. Especially if it has indeed been well maintained.

Still - it's kind of a loaded question. Personally, I went with a R1150RT because of the high amount of freeway miles I ride - having a 6th gear was important to me. But for the right price and the right riding situation? You bet - I'd not be afraid of it.

FWIW - Kelly Blue Book pricing on it for my area is just shy of 5 grand trade-in and just over 7 grand retail. I'd figure anywhere around 5-6 grand is a bargain.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:34 pm

Smile RT Mileage

I have a 96 with 50000 on it replaced the halls censor at 30000 other than that tires an brakes an a tune up every now an then wich I do myself .
When I go to rallies one thing I like to do is look at speedometers milages .
I,ve seen lots of them with over 100000 showing . Somewhere down the
pike I exspect to have to deal with the final drive splines so i,ve heard an
read . If you,ve been around Beemers you know it has a dry clutch . They
aren,t bad to give trouble unless a rear crank seal or input shaft seal on the
the tranmission leaks an gets oil on them . But it seams that the K Bikes are
more prone to those issues . That being said when you test ride it if you
smell a burt oil smell , park it an look under the bike on top of the cathletic
converter, if theres alot of burnt brown or black stains Theres your sign as
Jeff Foxworthy would say. I will say this I bought mine 4 years ago an have put 20000 miles on it . I bought a new 2005 LT mainly for the added comfort
for my wife we put 14000 on it I just sold it a couple months ago . I use the
bikes alot just for transportation an I found myself always jumping on the RT .
It wasn,t a hard choice for me my wife wasn,t exactly trilled . WE just wern,t
travelling enough to justify it an my love for the RT won out . Sure would
like to have one of the new 1200RT,s but its not because I ever give a 2nd
thought to my ole 96 takeing me as far as I want to go there good there fun
you,ll like it just look her over good .

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:24 am

Smile

My '96 RT has 176,000 miles on it. It's been a wonderful mount.
Engine has been nearly perfect; burns no more oil than when new (About 1/2 quart between 6k changes on petroleum oil). I think the basic engine will go forever.
I do all work on it myself, including maintenance according to the book.
Has these issues:
- Trans shifting has deteriorated since 80k: now slips out of 3rd sometimes during upshifts. But, I can live with it, and it's quite expensive to have corrected.
- Hall Effect ignition sensor failed at 135k in Nova Scotia. This was BMW's fault for not advising to clean the sensor area (behind the lower alt.belt pulley), as road dirt gets in over time, making an ugly slury, which can short out the sensors when rain water gets in, which it will, as there's no effort made to keep it dry.
-That's it.

- Clutch is original. Yes, abuse can kill it in a hurry, but as I ride one-up always, and am careful to go easy on it (no fast starts), It's been reliable.
- Rear end has been faultless. Change the oil as directed.

My suggestion is to be careful to buy a bike that has had careful maintenance. You can tell a lot about a bike by checking it carefully and asking for maintenance records. And, talk to the dealer who does the service.
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Lets see A 1999r with 80,000 miles that has been well taken care of. This bike is almost 9 years old, or less than 10,000 miles a year. there are many riders that put over 25,000 miles a year on their mounts. What we really need to know is what has been replaced and when. What the asking price is and most often you will get what you pay for when buying a BMW. Most of the owners that are also riders (80,000 miles means he is a rider to me) will be honest and helpful when selling their mount. After 80,000 miles on the seat you begin to have feelings for the mount and often don't really want to sell it to just any one. If you are buying from a shop try to talk with the owner of the bike. If it does'nt feel right keep looking. A real rider does not want to see any other rider with problems along side the road kola

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in