Considering "new' 04 R1150GS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Question Considering "new' 04 R1150GS

My dealer has a new 2004 R1150 GS that has been on the floor for quite sometime. As a longtime LT owner and member of this list I value the information gleened from this list. I am trying to decide between 3 bikes. ( I have sold my LT )

#1 2004 R1150GS New but has 440 miles on it.+ Sale Price $10600. I have owned 2 K1200LTs and 1 R1100RT. +This is the bike I want but -service department is backed up 2.5 months, and -when I leave the parking lot I am on a 3 year old bike that has a trade in value of $7700.- BMW Reliablity is issue with me.- Not trying to start a flame but all 3 BMWs I have owned 2 new 1 used had problems. -Also don't know how long this dealer will be in business. I have heard rumors. -If/when this dealer goes under the nearest dealer will be over 300 miles away. -Also can't trade 06 Kawasaki Brute Force in there. ( I know I know the Brute Force was the dumbest thing I have ever bought). -Will have to spend $860 for bags on this bike. +8.9apr fixed. +Insurance $319 year

#2 2006 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. +New out of create +current year. +/-Can trade in upside down 4 wheeler in on this and still have+ incentive APR. +Plenty of solid dealers in area for service. +Jap reliability. -Just another jap bike. - -Chain drive. -Will still leave dealer $3000 +/- upside down if trading 4 wheeler.- Still must buy bags, -windshield etc.- Insurance $457 year - -Chain drive yuk

#3 2006 Triumph Tiger. +New,+ 2 dealers with 100 miles,+/- Unknown Triumph reliability,+\- Unknown company stability.+\- Unknown dealer stability, +Purchase price between 9-9500, -No trade on 4 wheeler,- higher APR 13.5, +Comes with bags, +/-Like this bike better than suzuki but less than BMW. - - Chain drive Yuk

This will be my 21st bike purchase in 15 years. I normally keep a stable of 2 or 3 bikes of different purpose. But bills and problems have reduced me to 1 bike. I know is has to be a Dual-sport for my type of riding. I have never had a problem making my mind up but I am stumped this time. Heart wants BMW, Common sense and budget wants V-Strom, Tiger may be good compromise. It will be one of these 3 so please keep opnions to these 3

Thanks again, I need to make decision this week. I know this is a BMW list but over the years I have found the majority of guys on this list to be pretty unbiased. SO let me have it fellas

Last edited by Martin_Hayes; Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:11 am
kip

tough decisions

not really knowing the triumph
having talked to a few vstrom people

to me, when you are faced with a gut wrenching decision......particularly on an issue that so touches an area of personal passion as does the motorcycle you are going to ride........when at all possible, i try to go with the the thing that is going to make me the happiest.....

as you walk away from the bike.....looking back at it....as we all often do....which one is going to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing you have the thing that most moves you......

thats how i tend to make those kinds of decisions.....it sounds like, from the tone of your posts, you want the bmw......

in all liklihood.....(ducking from the flying debris).....the cost of ownership of the bmw will be higher than the vstrom......so.....the real question for you is.....is owning the GS going to give you enough additional satisfaction to warnant the higher cost of ownership.......

if the financial front is a serious concern......i would bet the VStrom is going to be the most economical way to go all the way around.....

but....as you walk away from the bike....glancing back....which bike are you going to be happiest to have ridden in on?

<the triumph is just too much an unknown to me personally to comment on>

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:54 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I know you're looking for a new bike, but have you considered a well cared for used one? Maybe this would be a good compromise for half of what you're looking to spend?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:08 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Tiger Eliminated

Rode the Tiger today, cost too much and just not the bike for me. Too soft. Great engine, great trans, not much else. Bags are a joke

I can't get a good APR on used so gonna buy new. Unable to pay cash.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

2004 R1150GS Purchased

Thanks for the help, got the GS.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:03 pm

Congratulations !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in