K1100LT Sidestand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 18th, 2014, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

K1100LT Sidestand

So first post I just inherited my fathers 1997 K1100LT he hasn't registered or riden it in 4 years. Cleaning out the fuel system, cleaning electrical connections oil lude and fluid flush everything nothing too excessivly expensive thus far that is till I got to the side stand, for such a weak under engineered piece they really want alot for a new one.

Current one is snapped off I was unaware of the flimsy nature of the sidestand when we trailerd the bike to my shop and it resulted in the sidestand snapping 100 feet from home.

My question is what bikes side stands will work on the K1100LT? (So I can search ebay and the like for the best price since $160 from BMW just isn't gonna happen) Does anyone make an aftermarket sidestand that is an upgrade, not looking to store it on the sidestand but would be nice to leave it on the stand when running around a bit, at reast stops with the group or just pulling it out of the garage getting ready.

I will say the center stand is great on this bike easiest bike to get on centerstand I've ever owned.

Pland B will be to fill the sidestand with a metal rod as a plug and weld it as one solid sidestand then heat and quench in oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 19th, 2014, 6:48 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: K1100LT Sidestand

Welcome Tiny,
Fist question is were you towing the bike while it was on the side stand?
If so that is why it broke, You never ever trailer a bike on its side stand as it is not made to take the stress. The stand is not that flimsy under proper use.
The Part number is 46532312787
Here is a google search of that number

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 3 Old May 25th, 2014, 12:44 am

Re: K1100LT Sidestand

Don't you know someone that can weld it for you? I once too made the mistake of putting down the side stand on my Dakar while trailering it thinking it would be more stable. It was until one day when I put the kickstand down and the stand made a crack sound and fell over. I just had a friend grind it up real nice and welded it. the hardest part was finding the right angle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 K1100LT
2005 K1200LT
2006 Dakar F650GS
MOA #193478

Tags
k1100, sidestand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in