BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New to me k100

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  harrowbmw 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am purchasing a 1987 BMW K100 with 11,000 miles on it. It has been sitting for 9 years since the last registration, and was owned by a mechanic so I hope it was put away correctly.

I am not new to motorcycle repairs or rehabs (I have a small fleet of early-mid honda CB's) but am new to BMW bikes and their idiosyncrasies.

Basically all I know is that the bike is physically in good shape, has had a mouse nest in the airbox, the gas tank is full of varnish and the engine isn't stuck. I will be picking it up later this week so will have more info at that time.

I know that 11k on this bike isn't even broken in, but are there any real deal-breaker items that I should check before I pick it up?

#4 ·
Remove and check them. The dampers have been known to crumble into chunks. If you try to start it and the pump works, the chunks can jam the pump.

I would pull the pump,hoses and filter as a unit and go from there. The hoses will probably be shot, so use only fuel injection/immersible rated hose. BMW is 1/3rd the cost of NAPA for the hose the last time I checked.

#6 ·
for a heads up, have a search through Chris Harris' youtube videos ... he's a mechanic with a love/hate relationship with Beemers... if you "get" his style then you can learn some good info about the earlier bikes, and have a laugh at the same time as he occassionally rips into BMW. :bmw:

#7 ·
I purchased a 1988 K100RT with just 800 (Genuine) miles on the clock back in 2006.

I gave her a full major service and she was fine. The only issues I ever had was a few years later the engine seals started to go, so she started to leak oil. However after the seals were patched I didn't have any further issues, until the brake disk cracked through wear!

Currently she has 34530 miles on her - unfortunately I have to sell her to make some room in the garage! As a long distance bike with the comfort saddle she was about as perfect as you could get.

Hope you have fun and enjoy her.

Best regards
Sleuth

#8 ·
phaedrus314 said:
Hello all, I am purchasing a 1987 BMW K100 with 11,000 miles on it. It has been sitting for 9 years since the last registration, and was owned by a mechanic so I hope it was put away correctly.

I am not new to motorcycle repairs or rehabs (I have a small fleet of early-mid honda CB's) but am new to BMW bikes and their idiosyncrasies.

Basically all I know is that the bike is physically in good shape, has had a mouse nest in the airbox, the gas tank is full of varnish and the engine isn't stuck. I will be picking it up later this week so will have more info at that time.

I know that 11k on this bike isn't even broken in, but are there any real deal-breaker items that I should check before I pick it up?
Cooling fan is another known weak link. They run so infrequently that the bearings seize. I believe that a VW fan is direct replacement.

At that age all the rubber may be dried up and cracked. Check the "Z" tube breather hose and the throttle body mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.