K1200 RS as Viable Touring bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

K1200 RS as Viable Touring bike

Hello All,
I've recently had the chance to test a 98 K1200RS that I am thinking of picking up. Mint, Corbin seat, BMW side bags and Givi top case. The price is right and all the maintenance records are in order.
My issue is...Is this bike really a tourer? Is there adequate wind protection? I've ridden the RT and love it. I'm actually looking at an RT as well with double the mielage. I like the protection of the RT but this seems like a really good deal.
Do you think I would find this more sport bike for my taste? I feel that I am moving away from that time in my life. Not really looking for the speed, though I understand this is a fast bike. I'm really just looking for a weekend tourer.
Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 4:05 pm

Re: K1200 RS as Viable Touring bike

I recently purchased an 04 K1200GT. Which, I believe is essentially the same bike as the RS you are looking at. The GT does have some plastic add ons to provide a little more wind protection. I've been doing some long day/weekend rides on the GT and love it. I previously had an LT. I definitely have less wind/weather protection. But, I wouldn't trade back.....
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 2:07 pm

A stock K-RS had inadequate wind protection and way too long reach to the bars to be suitable as a serious tourer- unless you're a kid and think a sport bike (which K-RS isn't)is also suitable for touring. It does have plenty of luggage capacity and a reasonable size fuel capacity.
I ride an 08 RT, an 02 K-RS, a wedge K-GT and an R1100S. The RT is by far the best long range tourer of the bunch, more than a few pros think it is the best there is.
The K-RS I ride has a RhineWest chip and a slip on exhaust and is by far the sweetest motor of the bunch- possibly the best motor BMW ever made. It is my choice for day ride fun but I wouldn't grab it for a week long trip to mountain twisties- its not comfortable enough for that kind of miles even though its seat is much better than a stock RT. Mine has a larger windscreen and barbacks so I can get a proper riding position with my 34 1/2" sleeve length. The strength of the K-RS is the way it drives out of fast sweepers when you ask for it- matched to a lovely wide powerband. Wouldn't be much fun for an all day rain ride- which is sometimes needed when touring.

The brick K-GT is a better tourer than K-RS and not as well recognized as it should be- its a great bike. The LT is way heavier than many want to mess with, including me- helps to be 6'4", 250 lbs...I'm 6 even, 175, and getting older..

No such thing as a "do everything well" bike. Own more than one if you can..RT + K-RS = darned close to nirvana...Unless motocross is your priority...

Last edited by racer7; Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:19 pm.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

So racer do you think at 6'4", 220 I'd be really uncomfortable on the bike? The previous owner had installed a tall wind screen and a Corbin seat for comfort. Thanks for such an informed reply. I think that a 98 with 27000 miles for $5000.00 is worth a look. Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:58 pm

Carl,

I'd suggest you ride both the RS and the RT before you decide. At 6'4" you may feel cramped on the RT, but the RT may suit a passenger better than the RS. If your intention is mostly to ride alone on shorter trips, the RS will provide lots of fun. And with the footpegs in the lower position you shouldn't have a problem with those long legs. I'm a little shorter than you and I prefer the stock RS handlebar position without barbacks. To improve wind protection you can also add the deflectors from the GT, but it will never beat the RT in that department. I'd recommend you make sure it has cruise control though, it helps to rest the wrists on those longer short trips.

And if you need to add confusion, go ride an LT. It is heavy, but once it starts moving it turns into a ballerina.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 5:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
A stock K-RS had inadequate wind protection and way too long reach to the bars to be suitable as a serious tourer- unless you're a kid and think a sport bike (which K-RS isn't)is also suitable for touring. It does have plenty of luggage capacity and a reasonable size fuel capacity.
I ride an 08 RT, an 02 K-RS, a wedge K-GT and an R1100S. The RT is by far the best long range tourer of the bunch, more than a few pros think it is the best there is.
The K-RS I ride has a RhineWest chip and a slip on exhaust and is by far the sweetest motor of the bunch- possibly the best motor BMW ever made. It is my choice for day ride fun but I wouldn't grab it for a week long trip to mountain twisties- its not comfortable enough for that kind of miles even though its seat is much better than a stock RT. Mine has a larger windscreen and barbacks so I can get a proper riding position with my 34 1/2" sleeve length. The strength of the K-RS is the way it drives out of fast sweepers when you ask for it- matched to a lovely wide powerband. Wouldn't be much fun for an all day rain ride- which is sometimes needed when touring.

The brick K-GT is a better tourer than K-RS and not as well recognized as it should be- its a great bike. The LT is way heavier than many want to mess with, including me- helps to be 6'4", 250 lbs...I'm 6 even, 175, and getting older..

No such thing as a "do everything well" bike. Own more than one if you can..RT + K-RS = darned close to nirvana...Unless motocross is your priority...
Thanks for the comparison between these.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 12:11 am

I have a 2000 K1200 RS but I put aftermarket pegs on which give an inch to inch and a half extra length to the seat to peg distance. They do not give less clearance to the ground. Got them from pirates lair. also have a little extension lowering the shift arm, also from pirates. I have ridden the bike 900 to 1000 miles a few times. Not difficult but you're ready to get off at the end of the day. I also have a SARGANT seat. I love the bike and is the bike of choice when I go anywhere myself. When my wife wants to go, we take the k1200lt. As far as protection from the elements, wind doesn't bother so much unless you have 30 mph cross winds on the plains. As long as you keep moving an keep knees in, you don't get wet in rainstorms if windshield is in up position. It is a great bike. Period!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in