Patience...I guess - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Patience...I guess

OK I see I've had 53 views but no one wants to comment. Is there a proto call I'm not aware of or have I committed some cardinal sin on this sight? Just don't know the secret handshake perhaps or do I simply lack patience? Come on folks I'm not asking for much and can't be an owner until I buy one. Just want some opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 8:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Patience...I guess

Check your original post.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 8:52 pm

You are asking a difficult question without giving much away to indicate your preferences. The K series spans from the K75 to the latest K1600 and in that range there is something for everyone except dual purpose. The older K75/K100's are great for project bikes and classics but lack the modern comforts and safety improvements. The older K1200LT and RS/GT have more power and solved the vibration issue of the K100, but the LT is aimed at a different rider than the RS and the GT. The 2005 and younger LT increased power and added features like the electrohydraulic centerstand, but compared to the RS/GT it is heavy. And then there is the slant K1200/K1300 range with even more power, less weight and the hooligan actor. So you see it can be very difficult recommending a specific model. Each has its own appeal and it really depends on what experience you are looking for.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 4:37 am

Thanks for that it's exactly what I needed. I'm not ready for the rolling armchair yet but maybe at a later time.

I hope your summer is just like
filled with surprises.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 6:27 am

Depending on whether or not you want touring protection, I'd be looking at a GT or RS with the brick (flat four) motor if I could find one in good shape.
I ride a wedge 1200 and a brick 1200 (RS) and prefer the motor and power curve of the brick for most use- for one thing, its not as flat on the low end as the wedge motor is- though the wedge will eat it at top revs. The brick bike also has unlinked brakes which I prefer.

The older Ks are too down on modern features for me- in that era I's prefer a V-4 Honda (despite their legendary crappy fuel economy).

BUT what I actually recently bought for an old bike was a very nice condition 89 Transalp- for around town and fire road stuff. A bit soft on the power curve compared to my BMWs but a sweet older ride that is dead simple to maintain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in