Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2013, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

I'm new to the BMW motorcycle world having never owned one but having always wanted to. I have, however had a couple of their cars. I intend to purchase one soon and have always wanted a K series. I fell in love with this bike when I first saw The K 75. So my dilemma is which one to buy. I haven't ridden in awhile but have owned a number of bikes in the past. An Enfield Bullet,an Ariel 250 monocoque, a BSA C 11G a couple of Hondas and currently a '65 Bonneville that is a retirement rebuild project. I would greatly appreciate advice on which model to buy and the best and worst years as I plan to start with a used bike.Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoo
I'm new to the BMW motorcycle world having never owned one but having always wanted to. I have, however had a couple of their cars. I intend to purchase one soon and have always wanted a K series. I fell in love with this bike when I first saw The K 75. So my dilemma is which one to buy. I haven't ridden in awhile but have owned a number of bikes in the past. An Enfield Bullet,an Ariel 250 monocoque, a BSA C 11G a couple of Hondas and currently a '65 Bonneville that is a retirement rebuild project. I would greatly appreciate advice on which model to buy and the best and worst years as I plan to start with a used bike.Thanks for the help.
I have a 90 K75 and use it to commute to work. Great for short trips (for me anyway) However the LT is the way to go if you are interested in touring for 500+ miles/day

There is a lot of activity on the Yahoo Group [email protected] <[email protected]>;
Lots of opinions on all K75s there.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm

"Luxury Touring" refers mostly here to the K1200LT and to similar bikes. Not a lot of talk here ever about 20+ year-old bikes. Better info at other forums as suggested.

To keep some connection to "touring," however, might think about K75RT. It was hot stuff at the 1992 BMW MOA National rally in Rapid City.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 30th, 2013, 8:18 am

It looks like you've owned some lighter weight bikes, just make sure you test ride every model you are considering and don't buy anything "cold". Example- The LT is a very comfortable, well-behaved mount, but if you are coming from a 250 you may feel intimidated.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 3:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoo
Thank you all.
You might want to check this site also http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/index.php

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

PMitchell... Thanks for that it's exactly what I needed. I'm not ready for the rolling armchair yet but maybe at a later time.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 2:19 am
cws

Garage

I bought a '96 K75RT when I got back into riding after a long break... once I worked out how to stop banging my shins on the fairing it was a fun bike to get back into riding on for about 2 years I owned it. Loved the whine of the 3-cylinder. Had to replace the clutch at about 80,000km, and I traded it soon after on a new '05 K1200LT... chalk and cheese between the bikes in fun & comfort value.
The LT really didn't seem that much heavier than the RT, just generally bigger all-round but far more ergonomic for touring. 2 years on the stock RT seat, even with sheepskins, were enough... but then the LT is the same in that regard too... lol.
If you can stand his dry, obnoxious sense of humour, Chris Harris has some good tech videos on Youtube about earlier K-bikes and things to look out for.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BavarianBomberWrench/videos

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Chris, Thanks so much for the link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in