Windy riding conditions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Geoff
  • 1 Post By Palerider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2012, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Windy riding conditions

I have owned a LT so I know what to expect riding in windy conditions with that bike. I have also owned Harley touring bike(very good) and at present a Victory Vision(good). My 1984 R100rs(best) was great and really unaffected by wind.
How is the K1200RS riding in windy conditions? I am thinking of buying one if I can sell the Victory. I got used to to the LT but there were times wind played some spooky tricks on handling at high speed.

Thanks,
Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 9:27 am

Re: Windy riding conditions

I've owned a couple K1200RS in the past. The bike does well in windy conditions, especially with the system cases removed. Unlike the LT, it has less surface area (painted panels) on the sides, making it less susceptible to wind.
cws likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2013, 9:08 pm

A lot of this is ones personal reaction.

If you ride with a light grip and let the bike do its thing, making only necessary course corrections, riding in typical gusty stuff isn't all that bad on most bike.

I ride a K1200RS, a K1200GT and an R1200RT. Of the 3, the K-RS is the least susceptible to being moved by gusts according to my feel- but YMMV.....Can't say that any of them is really much of an issue in crosswinds- but the RT likes its suspension set harder than the way it came from the factory, even with my only 185 lbs on board- it wallows a bit otherwise and that doesn't help handling in gust. My K-RS has Ohlins BTW...

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:08 am

what the racer man just said, if you are constantly "fighting" the LT in the wind it's a lot of work,
loosen your grip and have confidence in the bike and she handles superbly

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 14 Old May 7th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Interesting and timely for me. Last Thursday (day of nasty SoCal fires) I did a ride to the Regan Presidential Library and it was WINDY! Pushed me around big time on my RT ... hard to picture loosening up in that, but also tuff for newbies off road to understand "when in doubt, gas it" ... so the advice here is to go with it to some extent and not be so tense and ready to fight the push at any moment, eh? Bout pushed me into another lane a few times :-0

Chris

President SCBMWRC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

All the above advice is very good. I just want to say to check the case seam between he engine and transmission on the right side. If damp with oil stain the output seal from engine to outer surface of the clutch basket (engine driven part of the clutch group) is leaking, it is an O-ring. Everyone commonly says output seal or main seal but it is generally that O-ring. Main rear seal is in the same neighborhood. There are two threads on how to repair it in I-BMW.COM a good K bike site. Plenty of folks there that will help you. I personally like the 1998 to 02 bikes the best. There are few problems that are hard to fix other that that pesky o-ring. And if it is leaking or has not been replaced yet, accept that you will be doing this and just go for it because after it is done you'll love the bike. A low miles bike can be had for 5,500$.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 24th, 2013, 10:32 am

I have found in cross winds that moving the winglets help sometimes. And not necessarily having them both directed the same. I find that having the winglet closed on the windward side and the winglet opened or partially opened on the other side helps some of the buffeting around my head on hot summer days. And you still get a breeze. YMMV

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 24th, 2013, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech
All the above advice is very good. I just want to say to check the case seam between he engine and transmission on the right side. If damp with oil stain the output seal from engine to outer surface of the clutch basket (engine driven part of the clutch group) is leaking, it is an O-ring. Everyone commonly says output seal or main seal but it is generally that O-ring. Main rear seal is in the same neighborhood. There are two threads on how to repair it in I-BMW.COM a good K bike site. Plenty of folks there that will help you. I personally like the 1998 to 02 bikes the best. There are few problems that are hard to fix other that that pesky o-ring. And if it is leaking or has not been replaced yet, accept that you will be doing this and just go for it because after it is done you'll love the bike. A low miles bike can be had for 5,500$.
hmmmm ..... looks like we wandered outta the thread topic?!
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Back in the old days when BMW first offered "alloy" wheels rather than spoke wheels (Snowflakes) the translation from German in the parts fiche was "cast iron wheel."

Well, with twin brake rotors besides, the wheels are pretty heavy and there's lots and lots of gyroscopic pressure working to keep things straight. A side wind strong enough to overcome friction of rubber on road is too much to be riding in.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 7:44 pm

Garage

Windy experience
On my recent trip west I encountered very strong wind gusts. In 3 different states Nebraska was first going west on I-80 between Grand Island and North Platte the cross winds were terrible. Every overpass has airfield pennants . . . a cone with the top open they were completely horizontal. Then riding the coast somewhere in CA. there are wind gust signs but seems like they were posted in the wrong place. Could have been warned sooner. My third stint with wind was leaving Yellowstone on the east via US 14/16 in the dam area around Cody the wind was sweeping down the mountain towards the dam on the other side of the road and rode that affair all the way into Redbull and beyond. In all but one case the Lt stood up to the test. On the coast highway got too close to the mountain side and clipped right boot, peg and rear brake peddle on a wayward rock. Happy to stay upright and write about it.
ride safe
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 10th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo View Post
what the racer man just said, if you are constantly "fighting" the LT in the wind it's a lot of work,
loosen your grip and have confidence in the bike and she handles superbly
What Hans said...........I'm in Wildoming and I assure you .........."it never blows here'..............under 80...............

don't fight the big girl. Look where you want it go and relax..............when you get to feeling how she handles you can relax a little more and enjoy the sceanery. this has been a year of some Hellish winds out here so just go for it......................

B-Safe.......Jim
Toaster likes this.

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 10th, 2014, 4:39 pm
cws

Garage

A few people wandering from OP's question a little... anyhow...
I've got both an LT and an "RS with added fittings" (the GT).
On the GT/RS I certainly notice the wind more in my experience - even without the sidecases which is how I have 99.9% of the time, partly because its a reasonably lighter bike, also its far more sportsbike than luxury tourer so its a very different ride.
Actually, its not just the bike that's winded affected as much more air hits your body than it does on the LT, and perhaps that's the other key difference.
On the LT when a gust hits it's the bike that gets moved around, not the body... on the GT both body and bike get moved more equally, IMHO.

That said.... great bike, great engine

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2014, 10:23 pm
cws

Garage

ooops... sucked into an old post... oh well..

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 14 Old Mar 26th, 2015, 6:35 am

I have also owned Harley touring bike(very good) and at present a Victory Vision(good).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in