05 K1100LT... need help won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:09 am Thread Starter

05 K1100LT... need help won't start

Greetings

We are Absolute PowerSports NH in Gorham NH. We have installed a Hannigan trike conversion on a 2005 K1100LT (our first BMW conversion) and the bike will not start.

We are a Honda and Yamaha dealer and do not know much about these bikes. It is a long ways to the closest BMW dealer for help.

So here is what it does.... the motor has spark and will run on starting fluid. When you turn the key on you can hear/feel the fuel pump run. The starter spins over and as noted it will run on starting fluid.

In addition to the pump running we get a flashing warning light in the dash when we turn the key.... an exclamation point inside a circle. We also get all of the running lights including the blinkers on steady.

During the installation process we started the bike after the rear suspension and body were installed and the bike started and ran for roughly 30 seconds before we shut it off thinking all was OK. Once assembly was complete we again started the bike, it ran for a only few seconds and died out like it was out of fuel. The bike has fuel.

The kit includes and auxiliary fuel tank. The auxiliary fuel tank is a transfer system to the main tank. There is a separate manually operated fuel pump that is used to transfer fuel from the aux tank to the main tank through the return line from the main fuel pump located in the primary tank. This should not effect the main fuel pump or the fuel injection. However, the motor in not getting fuel.

The kit installation does not require any re-wiring or wiring changes.

We are looking for help or suggestions.

Thanks

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Re: 05 K1100LT... need help won't start

they stopped making K1100LT 1998 - if it is an 05 it is a K1200LT which is a very complex beast - lots of interlocks and the security system can cause a lot of grief

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Talking Re: 05 K1100LT... need help won't start

NO fuel, tells me you might have run your transfer pump to the pressure line instead of the intended return/low pressure line. Check your pressure line on the left side of the engine. I bet you have no fuel coming through the hose. Also, check inside the tank to make sure the filter didn't work loose and make sure the pressure line has no slit/leak/ in it. Sometimes if the tank is below 1/2 full you can turn on the key and listen for fuel squirting around in the tank. You shouldn't see a swirl of gas moving around nor hear gas squirting. The pump only runs for a few seconds. It won't continue running ieven if there is a leak. An 05 is old enough to need a new hose going from the pump to the filter. Pretty common leak.
I just made that repair on an 05 a couple months ago. The hose was even goey and held no pressure. $16 fix as that's the usual cost of a short piece of hose for inside a tank.
Good luck and hope I've put you on the right track.
Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

And while you probably already know this, fuel line inside the tank must be immersion rated and not just standard FI hose. I agree with the previous post. Likely you hooked up to the pressure side of the FI rail. Only other thing would be to ensure the fuel line quick connects are fully seated.

post #5 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSNH
Greetings...We are Absolute PowerSports NH in Gorham NH. We have installed a Hannigan trike conversion on a 2005 K1100LT (our first BMW conversion) and the bike will not start....We are a Honda and Yamaha dealer and do not know much about these bikes. It is a long ways to the closest BMW dealer for help....
Jim
First BMW conversion? Did you all offer this guy a discount for being a guinea pig, or was it one of those times the customer begged and twisted your leg until you said "okay, we'll do it!"?

Maybe someone saw big dollar signs when they gazed upon the out-of-place customer with a BMW?
I took my LT to my local HD shop just to get a state vehicle inspection. One of the mechanics whimsically shared with me how one of the service advisors was drooling, while mentioning out loud how he'd love to sell the owner a couple of tires and the related labor to change them. Apparently, it's a real gravy job.

At least you're honest Jim. Welcome to the forum!

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in