Major electrical problem with a '88 K100LT. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Major electrical problem with a '88 K100LT.

Riding to see my dad in the Hospital (son of Wood614 here...big man is doing better, but he is not out of the woods yet), and my K100LT had the battery rock forward and the negative connector and terminal hit the bike's frame, and possibly, I am pretty sure of, the starter/alternator (right side of the bike above the engine). Heard the arc before the bike lost all power. This happened as I was braking and hit a large dip at a stop sign. The battery is okay and has a full charge. But I cannot get anything to turn on. When I turn the key off, the clock fades on and flashes 0:00. All fusses are intact.

What just happened, and is there a way i can fix it without trailering my poor BMW back home? I am going to brush the leds clean and replace the screw the negative wire was attached with on to the terminal tomorrow.

Jim Woodring
Monroe (Fly Speck), Tennessee
2001 K1200LT Canyon Red
1988 K100LT Tobacco Brown
1976 R60/6 Red
1975 Norton Commando Black with oil spots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 1:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Major electrical problem with a '88 K100LT.

I'm not familiar with the K100s but I've been turning wrenches since I was twelve and that was a bunch of years ago. Most likely your issue is not with the negative side of the battery. Unless the bike is a positive ground system like the old British cars, hitting the frame with the negative side would have no effect on the system. I suspect you grounded the positive side or possibly hit the positive terminal of the alternator with the negative side. There should be a main fuse, possibly separate from the fuse block so start tracing wires from the positive side of the battery. The other thing to look for is a fusible link which looks much like a regular wire but will have an amperage rating printed on it. Many times they will take on an oily appearance when they blow. So make sure the ground is tight at the battery and frame, clean the battery terminals (even if they look good on the outside) and start tracing voltage from the hot side of the battery. You should find it pretty quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:26 am

If your still having problems you might try asking your question at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kbmw/messages

There seems to be a great deal of knowledge and expert advise available on that Forum.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood614
The battery is okay and has a full charge.
Are you sure the battery is still Ok, did you have it load tested?

Quote:
But I cannot get anything to turn on. When I turn the key off, the clock fades on and flashes 0:00. All fusses are intact.
Anytime I see something strange like this happening, the first place I go is ground wire. In this case you need to check the plus side also, high current surges make for bad connections.

Quote:
What just happened, and is there a way i can fix it without trailering my poor BMW back home? I am going to brush the leds clean and replace the screw the negative wire was attached with on to the terminal tomorrow.
I think you are on the right track here. Take a careful look at the wires also to see if there is any discoloration, that will tell you where the current spike caused damage. For instance if the plus ( RED ) wire turns brown at any connection...that is a problem.

HYH, good luck.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 8:51 am

If your 88 is like my 85 K100RT these are negative ground systems so if you got a huge arc and then everything went dead your positive terminal shorted to the frame.

Do you get any head lights, dash lights when the key is turned on? If no, like other have said start tracing wires.

good luck

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in