Sitting and spin starter? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Sitting and spin starter?

I have a 86 K100RT The engine won't turn over, Installed a new starter and the starter relay, Now I am hearing a spinning noise from something when I hit the start button.

AND, the headlight is not working nor are the turn signals. When I hit a turn signal the dash lights both indicators and the on side signal..as long as I hold it. Once I let go all turn indicators and signals go out. What does work is the park lamp, tail lamp and all idiot lights. I've checked each fuse and they are good....ANY Ideas as to what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 9:21 am
Gold Supporter

Re: Sitting and spin starter?

The headlight and some other lights ground thru the starter. When you push the start button the load shed relay drops out and kills the headlight. I would check the load shed relay and make sure that the starter is grounded properly. I do not have a k100 wiring diagram anymore so I cannot get more specific. When I had my k100 I put a switch on the ground side of the load shed relay so I could turn the light off when I serviced the bike. You definitely have lost a ground some where you might try unplugging the various connectors under the tank and cleaning them. The headlight is not fused.
Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaiwanna
I have a 86 K100RT The engine won't turn over, Installed a new starter and the starter relay, Now I am hearing a spinning noise from something when I hit the start button.

AND, the headlight is not working nor are the turn signals. When I hit a turn signal the dash lights both indicators and the on side signal..as long as I hold it. Once I let go all turn indicators and signals go out. What does work is the park lamp, tail lamp and all idiot lights. I've checked each fuse and they are good....ANY Ideas as to what happened?

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

HP I think your on to something here. The lights went out on my way home one night They do not go on at all. Nor does the bike start. Ordered a rebuilt starter today Thanks

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 4:25 pm

I'm guessing there are two (or three) unrelated issues -- the load shed (relief) relay is exactly where I'd look for the headlight issue. The turn signal issue may/may not be related; let us know whether it is fixed when you address the load relief relay. The fact that it sounds like the load relief relay AND the turn signal unit have issues would make me want to inspect their respective plugs for corrosion/shorting.

On the starter, the flying brick K's are well known for the sprag clutch between the starter and the flywheel "sticking" and not transferring starter torque to the flywheel -- the starter works fine; it will sit there and spin all day. The only "for sure" fix is a real pita: split the engine and intermediate housing to access and clean out the sprag rollers/springs. Before doing that, many have had some success with using various chemicals to try to dissolve the sticky deposits which are preventing the sprag's rollers from moving as needed. I'd suggest a search of the BMWMOA K-bike forum for examples of different approaches.

Good luck!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm

The fact that both turn signal lights illuminate is telling me you've dropped a ground somewhere...They're now connected in series instead of each one going to ground.. The grounds are still together for the two lights but somewhere after that it's come loose...

Go back in and look for a brown wire hanging or broken.....You'll find it..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JPSpen; Mar 20th, 2012 at 7:56 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in