How to lower an '85 K100RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 18th, 2011, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

How to lower an '85 K100RT

I'm an old BMW vet that used to ride an R52 back in the 60's. I just returned to riding after nearly 40 years, but at age 62, I think I've started to shrink (my inseam is about 29"). I've recently bought an 85 K100RT. It came with a stock seat and a Corbin. The Corbin barely lets my tip-toes hit the ground and is too unsteady for me. The stock seat allows the front half of my shoe to touch ground, which is much better, but I would really like to find a way to lower the position to where I can plant both feet totally on the ground. I figure I need to lower the riding position about 2-3". I've tried the rear shock adjustment, which made no difference. Is it acceptable to raise the forks ever so slightly in the front fork trees? I've read that this can lead to balancing issues. Can anyone recommend an alternate seat or seat-maker that could lower my seating position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 6:14 am

Re: How to lower an '85 K100RT

By shock adjustment do you mean you installed a shorter shock? There are some companies that make shorter shocks for this bike. I believe they are around 3/4 of an inch shorter.

Works suspension, Ohlins, Hyper-Pro are three companies that I believe make these.

On the front you can only slide the triple clamps up around an inch before solid parts start hitting other solid parts. Not sure about handling but I suspect that if you get the front to much lower than the rear it could possibly cause some stability issues.

As far as seats: possibly Russell Day-Long, or Mayer. These are both Custom seat makers. Not sure if Sargeant makes custom seats or not.

Good luck

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
By shock adjustment do you mean you installed a shorter shock? There are some companies that make shorter shocks for this bike. I believe they are around 3/4 of an inch shorter.

Works suspension, Ohlins, Hyper-Pro are three companies that I believe make these.
I meant that I adjusted the stiffness, which does seem to reduce the height a little. I did look at a Progressive Gas Shock today that is 3/4" shorter - do you know what such a difference would translate to in seat height above the ground?
Quote:

On the front you can only slide the triple clamps up around an inch before solid parts start hitting other solid parts. Not sure about handling but I suspect that if you get the front to much lower than the rear it could possibly cause some stability issues.
Yes, I would think that as well - again, any idea of what an inch of triple-tree lowering would do for seat height?

Quote:
As far as seats: possibly Russell Day-Long, or Mayer. These are both Custom seat makers. Not sure if Sargeant makes custom seats or not.

Good luck

Roy
I've got a decent dual canyon Corbin which is very comfortable, but too high. It turns out they make a "Sports Saddle" for the 85 K100 that's much lower, and if you order it new from them, they'll custom cut it down even further.

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:44 am

I have an '85 K100RS and personally wouldn't mess with the suspension other than a shock upgrade. For an older machine it works well as designed. A better option would be to try to come up with the optional lowered seat that was available back then. It;s possible Corbin may have something similar. I used to ride with an inseam challenged friend who installed the factory lowered seat kit and it worked great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in