K1200gt Abs---help!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 2:17 am Thread Starter

Question K1200gt Abs---help!!!!

Please understand my frustration:
I can honestly say this...I WILL NEVER purchase another motorcycle that has ABS nor will I ever recommend that anyone be so foolish to do so.... Caveat emptor....buyer beware, warranty or not!!!

My story: I finally returned to BMW after several years of ownership of "other" asphalt eaters after letting go of my 1981 R100RS and I recently bought a used 2004 GT "as is" with less than 24K original miles on it... not even 4K on it and I suffer an ABS failure. The very essence of my failure is that I do not have ABS, resulting in the following deficiencies: lost my speedo/odo, cruise control, etc. The bike is still rideable, which I do for commuting to/from work and have since maintained a mileage log recorded with every ride. The entries are sometimes entered with SWAG calculations, but tend to be as acurate as possible to the best of my abilities.

My faith in German engineering is shattered!

The dealership who sold the ride says I need a new motor controller. The modern rendition of "the Wizard of OZ" analytical toy they use behind the curtain in the backroom/dungeon of mechanical repair wizardry says it has suffered catastrophic failure. YES INDEED! a $3K ($1500 part/$1500 labor "guesstimate") repair bill for my wallet is catastrophic!!! I tend to believe this initial interpretation of the OZ tool was initially confusing and was immediately referred to the Dept of Alchemy (making of gold from others) for their specialized diagnostics input.

I read posts that others say they put in brake fluid, new brake pads and charge the battery. I have also seen postings on other BMW owners sites that this could be as simple as a "relay" that could be the culprit. Can the ABS system itself be bypassed altogether in order to recover Speedo/odo operation?

The bike is perhaps one of the nicest rides I have ever owned (although my heart still lies with my old RS ) and because of this failure, I am very reluctant to recommend ABS to anyone from any manufacturer being produced.

Despite my disappointment, I would like to maintain my GT ownership (along with my wallet) and I reach out to any/all with a sympathetic ear who may have also suffered my situation as well as their findings/remedies to cure this ill. Thank you.

Correspondence through my e-mail is welcomed as well. I am currently in Iraq and will be returning late April.

"CaptDave"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 7:35 am

Re: K1200gt Abs---help!!!!

Never wanting ABS again just because of one failure from one manufacturer is kinda like never wanting tires again after your first flat. There's just not a lot of logic there ... with all due respect.

My current bike is a 2010 Kaw Concours14 WITH ABS! Frankly, I'm not sure I'll ever own another bike without ABS. Not one that's a long-distance tourer anyway. This is my third bike with ABS (first an '02 LT, then an '06 GT, and now the Connie), and I not only love it, but trust in it. If my '83 Honda had ABS, I wouldn't have crashed back in '95. But that's a whole other story.

Having said ALL of that, I feel your pain and can empathize with you. The second year I owned my '06 GT, I started having ABS issues. Fortunately, the bike was still under warranty. But after two rounds with two separate BMW dealers, I STILL was having the intermittent ABS brake lights flashing. They couldn't seem to figure it out. Between that and a failed final drive earlier that year, I lost all confidence in the bike and the dealers in my area that support it. (My favorite dealer near me closed that year. ) That October, I sold the GT (with the ABS issue still there), and set my sights on a Connie. Not that I won't ever buy another BMW. I just need to find a better dealer to support the product.

Good luck with getting your issues completely resolved. This board is awesome, and hopefully someone in your area will come along and rescue you ... for a fraction of the $3000 you've been quoted. But don't lose your faith in ABS. And don't even get me started on traction control. I'm starting to *need* that as much as ABS.

- Joe
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:11 am

I will jump in and say that from this point on, I will buy only motorcycles with ABS.

I am truly sorry to hear about your bike's ABS failure and the resulting cost, but I wouldn't compromise on safety. In my opinion, ABS provides such a significant safety boost that it is worth the risk of failure and potential expense. I have over 30 years of near daily riding experience, and have taken too many safety training classes to count, mostly on bikes without ABS, It is technically possible to out-perform ABS on a comparable non-ABS bike, but I have found that in most situations it doesn't work out that way. The last two classes I took, I was best in the class during the braking exercises, and I believe that the credit goes to the ABS system on my K1200GT. (Note: I have a different BMW ABS system on my 2007 K1200GT, not the "servo" one that is on your 2004 K1200GT, which is a very different motorcycle than mine.)

I hope (and believe) that ABS failures like yours are reasonably rare.

Perhaps the dealer can help soften the blow by offering some type of discount on the repair. Even though you bought your K1200GT "AS IS", a responsible dealer should have inspected it thoroughly before the sale, fixed any obvious issues, and found no imminent failures, such as on your ABS. 4,000 miles isn't a lot - there should be some shimmy room on the repair costs and the dealer should step up to owning responsibility to have provided you with a decent working bike. By buying from a dealer, you were relying on their experience and professional expertise to inspect the bike thoroughly. (Note that there is a inherent conflict of interest where the dealer is acting as the seller and the "impartial" inspector.) Nonetheless, customer goodwill and a high reputation should be important to the dealer, too. Just my 2 cents worth.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Joe-
Thanks for jumping in! Yeah, I admit I was a little harsh, but then again... frustration does run high. I get it on the ABS. It is awesome to have WHEN it works. My craw is somehow, shelling out that kind of money (for a part that is actually smaller than a small box of kleenex) that is more than 1/2 of what the bike is actually worth (KBB) is a very tough pill to swallow. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox...

When I return from Iraq, I am going to charge the battery, flush the system, check the sensors and lead wires, try to locate that mysterious "relay" I read about as well as inspect the pads. In the meantime I hope somebody out there who has experienced the same dilemma can dial me in on the best way to resolve my situation as economically possible.

Also, I am very happy to become a member of this site. Thank you for having me. I am really quite a fun loving person... but this ABS has got the better of me and it is maddening because I can normally figure things out and well.... My wife has threatened to sell the thing IF I don't change my attitude on this ABS issue...LOL!!

"The Admiral" (wife) is always right!!!
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:53 am Thread Starter

XMagnaRider-
Thank you. I did write to the owner of the dealership and he responded that he would get back to me to help make things right. Well, that was over 6 months ago and I haven't heard a thing since I replied that I would be looking for his follow up response. hmmmmm

I won't give up that easily, but as I responded in an earlier input...it is a very tough pill to take on a part (and labor) that is so small and over 1/2 the KBB value of the bike itself! (makes me when I return from Iraq to want to get out of the business of disarming bombs and get my own dealership.. )

OK to anybody out there that has experineced an ABS failure on 2004 or earlier, I would appreciate your advise and help.
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I hate to be the one to say it, but that's exactly what "as-is" means . . .

If you bought from a dealer, they should make it right. If you bought from a private party, well then I'm sorry.

Also, I've asked that this thread be moved into the
Other K-Bikes Discussion
forum, where you may get more model-specific help with your Flying Brick GT.

As you've already discovered, common issues with older ABS bikes are weak battery causing the warning lights to come on, low fluid causing the warning lights to come on, worn pads causing low fluid and warning lights. You could also have old, gummy brake fluid causing the internal ABS solenoids to stick. Or it could simply be a broken wheel speed sensor or wire, which would also account for the lack of speedo.

So your proposed plan is correct: charge battery, inspect wheel speed sensors, and completely flush out all old brake fluid. There is a set of instructions for how to do this on Brick RS/GT bikes, but I don't have that link handy at the moment. There may also be a guy who can rebuild these older ABS units, but again, I don't have a direct link.

After all of that, see where you stand and maybe we can offer additional advice.

As for the ABS debate, I've ridden the last 300K miles on ABS bikes, and I won't buy another bike without it, period. If you never need it then no big deal, but the one time it saves your ass it's worth whatever extra you paid for it . . .

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 3:23 am Thread Starter

Meese-
Thank you!
Being new to this site, how does one transfer the topic of discussion as you mentioned, or... has it already been transferred? Still have to travel around inside this website to figure my compass bearings...LOL!! Thanks for your support/advise....much appreciated!

Respectfully,

Dave
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 9:28 am

This sure sounds more like a sensor on the rear drive issue. The common things about that sensor are that it also runs the speedometer, which of course is part of the cruise control system.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:01 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
This sure sounds more like a sensor on the rear drive issue. The common things about that sensor are that it also runs the speedometer, which of course is part of the cruise control system.

Ron
After looking at the wiring diagram I tend to agree. But it is either the sensor itself or the main board in the ABS unit. Since the controller takes the signal from the wheel sensor and passes it to the speedometer. The main board could still be the culprit.

Worth a check anyway. PN 34522333490 is $118.00.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 7:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The topic has already been moved to the correct forum by a friendly Admin.

Sorry I was a bit general here, but it's been a while since I've worked with the older ABS systems. I'm sure some of the guys here can be more specific to your case.

Good luck on getting it resolved.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2011, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Kellenbenz & Jzeiler-
Many thanks to you. So... I am NOT crazy after all?? Within reason.... LOL

rear wheel Speedsensor is linked to the speedo as well as the cruise control...thats good news to know. Now is the speedsensor a vital link to the ABS? Having this sensor fail, would that cause the ABS to not function as well? (forgive my ignorance, for I do not have a repair manual in front of me to review.)

How would one go about testing the sensor when it is removed? assuming that it is of electrical orientation, is there an electrical impedance or value that it should carry when operational vs damaged if I put a mulitmeter to it? I guess taking it to another dealer that I didn't buy the bike from and have them test it would confirm this as well... and if it is indeed bad, well I am right there to buy a new one....

Keeping my fingers crossed, $120 is far more easier of a bill to deal with when compared to a complete ABS pump replacement......

Thanks again for your thoughts...well appreciated.... only 49 days until I leave Iraq!
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thank you for your service Captain Dave.

I don't know exactly how to check but there are two of them so meter comparisons may show a fault. Often it is a cable tie that has cut into the wiring and caused an open so that should be pretty evident. Good luck with it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 13 Old Mar 13th, 2011, 1:43 pm

I am working a similar situation on my 2004 GSA. Dealer wants to replace unit = $2400.00. Parts only.
Going to have the whole system checked, flushed, etc. first.
These are not just ABS systems but, Power assist braking with ABS. At least on my LT and GS. Nice system when it works.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in