K1100 100k cam chain rail maintenance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:32 am Thread Starter

K1100 100k cam chain rail maintenance

I guess at 100k, these engines need to have all the cam chain rails replaced. Has anyone ever done this? Would appreciate some insight into this before I tackle it. Like do you have to take the cams out? Also what spooks me is the sensor that's on the cam cover. Hall sensor I think it is. What does it take to remove it, will you have to retime it or is it mounted in a way that's not necessary. Thanks for your help, insight and tips! I can do the spline lube and change clutches so hopefully I can tackle this. I do have a clymers for it.

Tim

Also if you have a parts list needed (I know, don't ask for to much )

Tim

1996 K1100RS
2001 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:40 am

Re: K1100 100k cam chain rail maintenance

Why do you think you need to replace the rail guides? Just because of the mileage?
Your best bet is to remove the cam cover and just look at them to see how worn they may be.

You don't have to remove the cams, thou you will need to remove the cam cover, gears and chain to replace the guides. You can use some zip-ties (2 on each gear) to keep the chain timing as close as possible.

The Hall sensor will have to come off in order to get the cam cover off, as well as the wires to the temp sensor and oil pressure sensor will need disconnected as they route thru the cam cover as well.

If you can mark the location of the hall sensor and are very careful not to turn the crank/cams while your doing any of this you shouldn't have any timing issues when you get it back together.

Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:03 am Thread Starter

Scott, thanks for replying. I only think this cause the mechanic at the local dealer said it should be done otherwise I wouldn't know it needed done. Would running hi speeds most of the life of the bike make it more necessary to do or not? Other post I found after posting this made it sound like it shouldn't need done. Guess I'll have to venture into at least taking the cam cover off to know for sure.

Tim

1996 K1100RS
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 4:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer96
Scott, thanks for replying. I only think this cause the mechanic at the local dealer said it should be done otherwise I wouldn't know it needed done. Would running hi speeds most of the life of the bike make it more necessary to do or not? Other post I found after posting this made it sound like it shouldn't need done. Guess I'll have to venture into at least taking the cam cover off to know for sure.
I had a noise in my LT once that seemed like a chain rattle. (later found it was the front two exhaust header stubs broken inside the head. I purchased the chain guides to replace them, and the dealer asked why I needed them. He said they had only replaced ONE set, and that was on a K1100 with 175,000 miles on it.

Most here agree that they should not even need looking at until at least 100,000 miles.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 10:02 am

Yeah, Don't get carried away yet... Pull the cover and look at the rails..

Then if you need them, You're halfway there. Chances are you won't...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 5th, 2011, 12:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I turned the bike over last year to 102k so that's my concern. The 100k mark. Love the bike, just don't wanna lose the motor from lack of maintenance. I'll give her a look see inside.

Tim

1996 K1100RS
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in