A K1200RS FD failure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

A K1200RS FD failure

Pics posted for owner of the drive and others who might be interested

Bike is a 2001 K1200RS with 45K miles on it.
Owner noticed roughness, no oil leak.
(would have been leaking very soon.)

Addendum:
Calculations for new bearing done.
Original shimming was (0.40+0.50mm)= 0.90mm

My calculations (excel spreadsheet attached) yielded recommended shim thickness of 0.55mm using both DMAN's dial indicator method and the BMW service manual depth micrometer method. That would suggest that this FD that failed at 45Kmiles was overshimmed by (0.90-0.55)=0.35mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS bearing 003.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	28123   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS bearing 005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	28124   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS bearing 006.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	28125   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS bearing 008.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	28126  
Attached Files
File Type: xls K1200RS.xls (16.0 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Re: A K1200RS FD failure

Curtis - I had not seen that posting. Interesting how much discrepancy between the BMW Book recommendation & the actual, and how your method came out the same as the recommended method. That bearing is so much toast that there probably isn't anything to be learned from it.

I've been trying to think of a way that the axial deflection of the hub could be measured under a thrust load. The thrust could be applied by a fixture supporting the case, & using a non-rotating drill press & a torque wrench on the drill press handle. The deflection could be measured with a dial indicator & an appropriate zero stress fixture to hold the dial indicator with respect to the housing. Sort of like you have now.

I would expect that the line of contact between the races and the balls shifts quite radically as the preload force is applied. Too low a preload = lot of deflection, & very little preload = not much deflection. It might make a way that the preload could be approximated on an assembled unit. This would allow a more direct measurement of preload than the present assembly method which is probably sensitive to things such as shaft diameters etc.

It would be necessary to both push as well as pull on the hub measuring hub-to-housing deflection. I would expect a force of maybe 500 lbs would be necessary.

Of course the tapered roller bearing would also enter into any deflection vs load measurement, but I suspect the line-of-action of the tapered roller bearing remains very consistent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in