What the clutch? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

What the clutch?

I need some advise from some experienced K owners. I have a 2000 K1200LT. I bought it last year with 7k miles on it. Hopped on this morning to take it to work and couldn't get it into first gear without stalling. Will not roll freely with clutch handle depressed. Immediate assumption is that I lost my clutch cable. What next? How do I confirm the problem? How do I repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 3:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: What the clutch?

Hi ,... well come to BMWLT.com . Your bike has an hydraulically activated clutch . Start by checking the clutch reservoir . If it is low , you might be lucky and have a bad hose .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Patric,

Thank you for your response. I took a look and the reservoir and it was empty. Just had the bike serviced about 6 weeks. Found no fluid under the bike. What is my next step? Do I just add brake fluid? Any direction you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:06 am

Sorry, you've probably got a bad slave cylinder and it's leaking and probably contaminating the clutch.

Time to spend 1500 or so at the dealer or tear it apart and fix it yourself.

Sorry for the bad news..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:09 am

Dean,
To add fluid, Bike on Centerstand, Bars full RIGHT >, wrap rags around the Clutch Master cylinder... carefully remove cap screws, carefully check for water in the rubber insert and dry until you can lift off the rubber part.... wipe "ALL" fluid that drips...

from a fresh bottle, 'add' fluid to about the top of the sight glass. Pump the clutch several times, SLOWLY... or you will see fluid squirt out of the reservoir. Do NOT look directly into the fluid. The hope here is you will "free" any air bubbles that may be trapped at top of the line.

When you put the rubber back in, it will fill up more of the master cylinder. Replace cover.

Clean all fluid

try starting and using clutch again... is the problem resolved?

If not, then you need to "flush" the Clutch hydraulic line. The "bleeder" is just beneath the right tipover cover.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:12 am

Oh.. if you are "losing fluid" it's what JSPEN said...

My recommendation is based on the hope they just neglected to fill the reservoir...

Definitely check with the dealer with your problem.. to see what they recommend.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:49 am

I'm basing my input from the fact that it DID work at one time.. So obviously loosing fluid..

Here's to hoping it's not serious though...

After you refill. Start the engine. Put the bike in gear and hold the clutch lever in..

Well, maybe not start the engine... Tie the clutch handle down after you get some pressure.
come back in half an hour.. Is the clutch still disengaged ? This will probably be your indicator of a leaking slave....

Good Luck

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I'm basing my input from the fact that it DID work at one time.. So obviously loosing fluid..

Here's to hoping it's not serious though...

After you refill. Start the engine. Put the bike in gear and hold the clutch lever in..

Well, maybe not start the engine... Tie the clutch handle down after you get some pressure.
come back in half an hour.. Is the clutch still disengaged ? This will probably be your indicator of a leaking slave....

Good Luck

John
That's wonderful advice, John! Thanks!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:55 am

Did they do a flush of the clutch fluid last service? It's also possible that the grub screw is leaking if that's the case, so if you fill and everything works, I would monitor fluid level to see if you are losing fluid. If you are, and if your clutch is NOT slipping in 5th gear, you'll need to check the seal on the grub screw under the right tupperware.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #10 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 9:42 am

I've never been so optimistic to think it might be a leaking grub fitting..
But, Hey, Who knows, It could be.........

It would go along with the theory the trouble usually comes from the last thing that was screwed around with....

Hey Chan,, Do you think if someone had a helper, You could pull the entire rear assembly off in one piece ?

As in leave the rear tire and final drive on the swingarm and just remove the whole mess at the swingarm pivots and pop the drive shaft loose there at the trans output ?

I'll be someone has done this.. It would require a helper to pull off though..

John

post #11 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:36 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
I've never been so optimistic to think it might be a leaking grub fitting..
But, Hey, Who knows, It could be.........

It would go along with the theory the trouble usually comes from the last thing that was screwed around with....

Hey Chan,, Do you think if someone had a helper, You could pull the entire rear assembly off in one piece ?

As in leave the rear tire and final drive on the swingarm and just remove the whole mess at the swingarm pivots and pop the drive shaft loose there at the trans output ?

John
The hard part is the drive shaft. One end will most likely stay on the tranny and you will have to remove the rear drive to hook it back up. Much faster to just remove the rear drive first. But you might get lucky if you can pop it off the tranny through the pivot hole. But then how do you pop it back on when done?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I cannot imagine being able to pull "everything" as one assembly. I would be impressed to see it.

With the rear swingarm attached to the frame and separate from the gearbox, I think that would put too much stress on the boot where they connect... including the universal..

If you weigh the whole set of parts, I'm gonna guess it would take quite a "heavy lifter" to handle it, too.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Do you think if someone had a helper, You could pull the entire rear assembly off in one piece ?

John
I've sort of done this. I removed the rear tire and brake caliper, but left everything else in tact including the drag link. I separated the lower support from the frame and the swingarm pivots. I used tie downs to support the swingarm assembly while I worked on it. You have to get a long screwdriver or other prybar up to the driveshaft to separate the driveshaft from the transmission to avoid pulling the driveshaft apart on removal.

The difficulty comes on re-assembly. I ended up separating the final drive from the swingarm in order to get everything back together correctly. I ran into a conflict between getting the driveshaft re-attached to the transmission and re-installing the boot that goes between the swingarm and transmission. With the boot installed, there is no room to get the driveshaft seated and once the driveshaft is seated, there is no way (that I found) to get that boot installed properly with the wire support inside. Tried for a couple of hours but ended up taking it all apart anyway and installing it all in accordance with the Clymer instructions. Easy enough but several more steps.

So, it is possible to remove it all in one piece (and not all that heavy) but installing is a puzzle I never figured out.

Good luck,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:17 am Thread Starter

All,

Thank you for the advise. I have spoken to my mechanic and we will be tearing down the bike shortly ( in multiple pieces, not as one unit!). Thanks for the info. Helped me decide how to handle the problem. I hope to be back in the saddle with bugs in my teeth shortly!

Dean
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Oh no you don't.. you can't leave us hangin'.. what does the mechanic EXPECT the problem to be?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

I will keep you informed. Belief is that the slave cylinder has failed. This has resulted in fluid flooding the clutch. Expect to replace the cylinder and possibly the clutch plate. Won't know until we open her up! I will let you know how it goes.
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_kacos
I will keep you informed. Belief is that the slave cylinder has failed. This has resulted in fluid flooding the clutch. Expect to replace the cylinder and possibly the clutch plate. Won't know until we open her up! I will let you know how it goes.
Very common failure. Be sure he replaces both the front and rear transmission input shaft seals, brake fluid on the seals causes them to fail later.

Your mileage is awfully low, so probably do not need to replace the engine output shaft seal and o-ring, although the time on them is very high compared to the mileage. If it was mine, I would replace them also. Not much extra cost since the clutch will be removed already. Just have to remove the clutch drive plate and replace the seal and o-ring.

If he is a SMART dealer mechanic, he will drill the slave drain hole in the transmission housing boss as MANY of us have done. Some dealers have done it on request, but only the smart ones. The "by the BMW book only" dealers that cannot think for themselves won't do it for you. The smart mechanics see the need and advantage.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in