New owner of 04 K1200 GT- need your help …thanks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Wink New owner of 04 K1200 GT- need your help …thanks

Hi, ..bought recently this bike. New to BMW bikes, I have couple things I would like to ask the more experienced riders...
Bike is 04 K1200 GT with 19K miles…. I am about 6’ 2’’ tall rider
1) After starting the bike smokes quite a bit, then it goes away… when opening the throttle the RPMs first drop a bit before going up… this bothers me sometimes when engine is not warm as the engine stalls sometimes. Even right after the start, when still on stand it will die quite often when throttle opened slowly..
What could be the problem…. Throttle cable?, should I decarbonize?
2) Volume of gas tank… even when running about 40miles with reserve light on and then stopping for refill – it only takes about 4.5 gallons…. It should take 5.55 gallons according to manual. why?
Also the gas gauge is so weird…not linear !!
3) I am 6’2’’ tall : currently have the seat in higher position, bars risers and backs are installed and do not have much space on the bike.
Wind it hitting me basically below the helmet (around my neck). I am thinking of larger (largest available) windshield I can get (any recommendations?) and peg lowering kit.
2 questions here: How likely it is I will be scraping road with lower pegs? What will happen and is it dangerous? Could I crash? Please bear with me I never experienced this… . Thanks for your thoughts on the fit… should I try to adjust bike in different way to accommodate for larger rider? (anyone wants to trade larger windshield for stock? )
4) I have ridden on the bike about 1000 miles and have not done any maintenance since I bought from previous owner: I am a good mechanic with cars and plan to do it myself…already bought the Clymer BMW manual:
What are the major things I should not skip (except checking all the fluids and changing oil which I plan to do) ?
Many thanks for patience and your advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 6:16 am

Re: New owner of 04 K1200 GT- need your help …thanks

the bike smokes because oil seeps down the cylinders when on the sidestand. if it bothers u, put the bike on centerstand. i have lower pegs, and bike scrapes more than before. in my mind, the bike is a tourer anyway, i wouldn't try to make it a twistie bike.

now, about the cold throttle response. partly due to bike being cold, but bike had a sort of recall in 2006 for electronic control units. dealers decided whether u needed upgrade. mine didn't. u may want to go to a dealer and see if they will honor an ecu replacement.

the gas problem is due to reserve not being calibrated, prolly. it should come on with 1 gallon left, but is probably coming on early.

i bought the parabellum +4" touring windshield. it works well for me. gives me nice wind in the down position, and for touring, i simply crank it up and get a nice quiet day on the bike.

after fluids, i'd be sure and change fuel filter and air cleaner. they are accessable in the same procedure. the bike also has a design flaw in the fuel lines under the tank. the plastic disconnects crack and can spew gas, potentially causing fire. the qd's are replaced with metal ones from omega. do a search on forums. i paid $60 or so for them at www.beemerboneyard.com , which by the way is a good source for oil filters and brake pads. speaking of, the front pads should be changed at 50k miles, u will need rear pads every 15k miles. the boneyard has rears for $27.95 or u can go to your dealer and pay $125 for oem pads. u don't need to drop calipers or take wheels off to install pads. just search forums for instructions or pm me and i'll help. i'll also help with fuel filter replacement if u need help.

good riding!
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm

Re: New owner of 04 K1200 GT- need your help …thanks

I just bought a 04 K12GT and was thinking of putting a Parabellum 25inch windshield on. does anyone have any pros/cons? the bike came with bar-backs on it ( which I like) . I get a lot of buffeting with the stock windshield.

thanks
mark

Mark West
99 K12LTC
ride ride ride let it ride
216k and counting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in