Problem: Paralever removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Question Problem: Paralever removal

hi, haven't posted in a long while, so I'll get to it. I haven't needed to do any major repairs til now. My '99 LT, with, (belief it or not) 66K on it, has started leaking at gearbox/engine area and I think it is gear oil. The problem is the bearing journals on the left side seems to be seized and the right one took an impact wrench to remove, which seems a bit much for a 14mm fitting. I have already broken two cheep 14mm sockets used with a cheater bar. Ok, the question is, has anyone had this problem, and if so, have they used anything than penetrating oil and/or heat to loosen it? Perhaps, there is something I missed and perhaps one of you can ilu, illu, educate me. I need some help, gotta vacation coming up at the end of May.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 10:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Problem: Paralever removal

This could have been posted in the K1200 area. But I have had problems here as well. I busted a good snap-on socket even. I did get each of them apart but one required the use of an outside easy out that was driven over the buggered 14mm post. The second one I could not get out on the bike. You can remove the swing arm with one of the pivot posts removed and the other on in place. You have to remove the drive shaft and exhaust then it will swing out.

Now for the bad news, Doug Rooda has his at the dealer and even with the swing arm out they cannot get the pin out. He has a used one coming from Dick in TX. His is a 99 by the way.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 17th, 2010, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Problem: Paralever removal

Fortunately, for me, I got some insight from an old mechanic. it took a week of soaking it in penetrating oil, and then a bit of heat to warm up the steel and it broke loose. That made me very happy. So, i guess a bit of time, liberal application of penetrating oil and heat seems to be the answer and patience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in