sidestand switch on k1100lt? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

sidestand switch on k1100lt?

Can anybody send me a pic of the sidestand switch on a k1100lt or of one like it.
I think something is broke or missing. The bike won't start unless the clutch is pulled in and the kickstand is up.
The switch arm is open when it should be closed, (sidestand down)
Anyway, a picture is worth alot of words. any help would be great...Thanks....Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 9:15 am

Re: sidestand switch on k1100lt?

Quote:

I think something is broke or missing. The bike won't start unless the clutch is pulled in and the kickstand is up.

What's the problem ?

The bike shouldn't start unless the side stand is up and the clutch is pulled in.
You shouldn't need the clutch if the bike is in neutral.

But the SIDE STAND MUST BE UP TO START THE BIKE ANYTIME....

My CLC will crank with the side stand down but not start. The LT shouldn't even crank with the sidestand down.

If you've got it in neutral and on the CENTER stand the bike should start.
If not then you need to look at the neutral switch..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 6:18 pm

I am trying to recall, but, Im thinking that this switch you are talking about was a paddle switch mounted to 2 of the centerstand bolts with the wires running under the engine to the right side frame tube behind the footplate and side cover. The colors should be green and green/red with a connector in that area. What we did with a problem was to use a 3m connector on the harness/ top side of the connector and fooled the system into thinking everthing was good. The connector is somewhere behind the side cover on the right.

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

So your telling me that this is the way it was set up, you can't warm up the bike with it on the side stand?
Steve
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 7:09 am

I cant remember for sure, but i think it will run on sidestand, but quit when attempting to put in gear with sidestand down, hard to remember everything.
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 7:36 am Thread Starter

your correct about everything except about it running on the side stand. That is the complaint. It won't start on the side stand. I don't know if it will run on the side stand or not. I'll put it back together and find out after work today. Thank you John and dgoodbmw, I never thought about it being designed that way.......Steve
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 10:18 am

I just did a google search on k1100lt sidestand switches and got a multitude of posts with various info as to function, disabling and testing. probably your answer is there somewhere.
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 16th, 2009, 10:47 am

You shouldn't start or warm it up on the sidestand anyway... It's just too dangerous.
Could vibrate off...
Then there's the issue of oil circulation. The oil would tend to pool up in the top end of the motor if running on the sidestand...Gravity is the only thing used to get the oil back to the pan..

I'm fairly sure you want to warm it up on the centerstand.....BMW says it doesn't need to warm up. Just start it up and ride off.. I always warm it up a little before I ride though.
But just a few seconds with me astride the bike.

Harley's and a lot of other bikes have the engine turned the other way so it's not as critical.

Good Luck.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2steve
your correct about everything except about it running on the side stand. That is the complaint. It won't start on the side stand. I don't know if it will run on the side stand or not. I'll put it back together and find out after work today. Thank you John and dgoodbmw, I never thought about it being designed that way.......Steve
It will not run or start with the side stand down. It's a safety feature that disables the Motronic so you don't ride off with the side stand down.

You can find the connector under the seat and just short it if you want it to be able to run with the side stand deployed.

If the switch isn't getting properly depressed when you retract the side stand then a simple fix is to slide a small section of vacuum hose over the tang that depresses the switch. This depresses the switch better.
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:08 pm

I do not know about the k1100, but on my LT, I tried this out yesterday. I took the bike off of the center stand and put the side stand down. It started with no problems.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2009, 3:39 pm

+1 on the response from Flying Duck. It was installed by BMW because the side stand does not automatically retract when weight is removed from the side stand, as it did in previous models. If you forget to manually retract it, take off & lean it to that side, the stand will make contact with the ground & you will do a pole vault like maneuver, which is less than graceful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in