'04 GT-Any Problems? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:56 am Thread Starter

'04 GT-Any Problems?

I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. She's a beauty...and I need a run around bike. The bike only has 8k on it and appears to be sound.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is there anything to look for?
Any help would be appreciated.

It is the fastest color....Blue

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:25 am Thread Starter

'04 GT-Any Problems?

I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. Something to ride around town in....not quite as cumbersome as the LT.

Has anybody had any problems with the '04 GT?
What should I look for or look out for?

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:32 am

Re: '04 GT-Any Problems?

Other then hang on for dear life LOL that's one fun bike

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. Something to ride around town in....not quite as cumbersome as the LT.

No known problems to speak of - the only complaint I have with mine is a few of the tupperware screws that can be maddening, pretty standard fare for BMW. You will love it!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #5 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Re: antenna problem

I am curious about what to do with the antenna on the K1200LT when it comes to putting a bike cover on. Even the Gold Wing has a folding antenna so as to facilitate a bike cover with no problem - but BMW chose not to consider that. Even taking the antenna off is not that easy. Is there any other short-type antenna that will fit the BMW mounting system? Even the BMW antenna mounting system is different than any other factory motorcycle antenna mounting system.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 8:18 am

Quote:
I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. She's a beauty...and I need a run around bike. The bike only has 8k on it and appears to be sound.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is there anything to look for?

It is the fastest color....Blue
My buddy bought an 03 this past spring, really a great bike and in my opinion better looking then the new GT's.
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:30 am

Quote:

Typical RS/GT issues:

Broken plastic fuel disconnects (look for them to have been replaced with metal ones).
Rear main seal leak. Look for a oil seep along the transmission / engine mating faces.
Clutch slave leak ... the clutch slave should have been resealed with a new one with a wiper.
Headlight ground wire failure ... should be replaced with a newer headlamp assembly.
Weep/seep at timing chain cover.
Rough idle ... there was a "voluntary recall" on the ECU's. Customers complaining of rough idle, and having a build date within a specific time window, were eligible for a free ECU replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in