left blinker not working.....'85 k100 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 2nd, 2009, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

left blinker not working.....'85 k100

Let me just say that this Bmw forum is fantastic! People on here have help me alot with my flying brick.....small problem, when I turn on the left blinker, the right one comes on?? I check the fusde and the bulb and they are fine; I recently had a problem with my starter relay and I removed it and re-installed it and since then the left blinker is not working....I didin't chexck the fron bulb yet....gotta be something simple...thanks in advance for any help.
Steve in maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Re: left blinker not working.....'85 k100

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug1024
Let me just say that this Bmw forum is fantastic! People on here have help me alot with my flying brick.....small problem, when I turn on the left blinker, the right one comes on?? I check the fusde and the bulb and they are fine; I recently had a problem with my starter relay and I removed it and re-installed it and since then the left blinker is not working....I didin't chexck the fron bulb yet....gotta be something simple...thanks in advance for any help.
Steve in maine
Steve,
since the problem started after you worked on the starter relay I would recheck the wiring and connections in that area first.Since these bikes have two seperate turn signal switches it sounds like you may have a loose wire or possibly even crossed one some how. Double check both the hot lead and the ground connections.

good luck

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 5 Old May 5th, 2009, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Roy,
I checked the connections on the starter relay and they look good; would it be possible the 'flasher module went bad? Are you talking about checking the wires at the handlebars at the 'switch:? Before it stopped working I noticed when I put the left blinker on it was flashing erratically; when I put the right one on that worked , then switching back to the left it worked for a few 'blinks' then stopped for good......

post #4 of 5 Old May 6th, 2009, 7:19 am

Steve,
I am not 100% sure but I believe the flasher is common for both turn signals so this might cause the problem. On my 85K the left turn would would intermittantly work but it never effected the right. I found that the connector for the switch under the fuel tank was loose. I have read multiple posts that these old bikes are susceptable to the connections getting corroded and also wires breaking do to age. May want to follow the wires down from the left turn switch to the connector under the tank. Mine has a clear plastic cover over the connector which makes it difficult to take apart and reassemble. While you have the tank off look at the ground lug on the left side of the back bone just behind the steering head. These also can corrode over time causing wierd problems.

I personnaly find that intermittant electrcal problems are the worst thing to diagnose.

Good luck

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 5 Old May 6th, 2009, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips; I pulled the tank and checked all connections and they look fine; I also checked the negative connectionj on the backbone and its all good; I'll probably just buy a new flasher module....I'll change the coolant tommorrow while the tank is off.thanks again...
Steve in MAINE

19985 K100 (it's a real rocket)
1972 Triumph Bonneville

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in