Throttle Tension - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Throttle Tension

I am riding a LT, it is my first BMW.
I have only put 300 miles on it but the throttle tension is annoyingly stiff.
The dealer says it is normal, I just switched brands after 15 yrs on HD because of the annoying 5th gear noise in their 6 speed tranny.
Is there a fix for this or do I need to start looking at other brands?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Re: Throttle Tension

OK Jim,

Hard to tell for sure based on what you are saying. If your bike is older could it just be the throttle cable needing replacement?

Had you tried twisting the throttle on other LTs (or other Beemers) at the dealer to compare?

I don't believe the throttle on mine is too stiff and haven't heard of it being an issue.

You don't have "Sally-Wrists" do ya

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 3:16 pm

What year is your LT?

This has been a common issue with earlier LTs, and BMW has changed the design of the cables at least twice. There are MANY posts here regarding cable replacements and upgrades. Use the search feature and look for "Throttle Cable Replacement" and you will find much to read. Get a new set of cables from your dealer and have them installed, or if possible do it yourself. A bit of work, but well worth the effort. The latest cables require a little rework of the lower plastic cover for the right handlebar to clear the cable.

If the throttle does not "snap" back closed when you release it, the cables need to be replaced.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

The bike is an 02 but has less than 13,000 miles on it.
I did compare the tension to a 08 Demo bike sitting next to it and couldn't tell any difference.
As far as "Sally Wrists" go I don't think so as I work out every day and have all my life.
Being a rock climber I do specific exercises for my wrists also.
The BMW just has the most tension of any brand bike I have ever been on.
If I can figure out how to get the throttle apart I will lube the cables etc. to see if it helps at all.
Thanks
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVBurt
Being a rock climber I do specific exercises for my wrists also.
Well heck, then just look at it as further exercise.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 4:51 am

Smile Re: Throttle Tension

Now, John, that is just NOT helpful. I'm going to demonstrate how to post a polite reply. Take notes.

Hello, Jim, and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful people here, and a wealth of information representing the collective experience of hundreds of LT riders. Let me point out the "Technical" link at the top of the page, and the "FAQ", "Hall of Wisdom" (often abbreviated "HoW" in posts) and the "Accessories" links in the dropdown menu. The "Articles" link will also take you to some very helpful articles, with photos, showing how to perform maintenance and to install certain accessories. The site has a search feature that will turn up scads of posts on almost any question you can think of. This is not to discourage you from posting a question, but they are site resources available to you as a tool.

The forum also provides opportunities for LT riders to get together for rides and "tech sessions" where you can learn to service your bike and install "farkles" (gizmos and accessories). Check out the regional forum for your area of the country for that. The community's annual rally, the Curve Cowboy Reunion ("CCR", no affiliation with Creedence) moves around every year and is worth checking out. See the "Reunion" link at top right for more info.

I happen to agree with you that the LT has a heavy throttle compared to other bikes I have ridden. I also agree with the other replies that upgrading the cables to the newer design introduced on the 2005 bikes often makes a significant improvement in the throttle effort and smoothness. I have a 1999 model that had a really stiff and sticky throttle. John helped me to install the upgraded cables on my bike. "Helped" meaning that he and another list member did most of the work while I kept my thumbs out of the way. He is really a nice guy-he would give you the shirt off his back, or even the underwear off his, well, you get the idea.

If there is no difference in the feel of your bike and the throttle of a new bike on the showroom, the prior owner may have already performed the upgrade. You can tell from the appearance of the cables near the right grip; if the cables pass through a little flared area on the bottom edge of the lower handlebar cover, you probably have the original cables. If the cables pass through a hole several inches from the edge of the handlebar cover, you have the redesigned 2005+ cables.

If I had the older cables I'd upgrade them. If you have the newer cables, check to see that they are not binding and that the twistgrip is turning freely (part of my problem, aside from the old cables, was sticky gunk inside my grip; cleaning that made a difference). After you cover that, the only suggestion I have is to use the LT's excellent cruise control to give your wrist a break now and again.

If the bit about the difference in the cables is not clear, send me a private message and I'll post a picture or a link to a picture. It's a lot easier to show than to describe.

Part of the fun of owning an LT is figuring out the tips and tricks. The folks here like to talk about their bikes and are always eager to welcome a new LT rider. Have fun!

[See, John, that wasn't so hard.]
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 6:01 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Now, John, that is just NOT helpful. I'm going to demonstrate how to post a polite reply. Take notes.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Easy for you say I would still be typing that response, given my skills in that category

Thanks for pointing Burt in the right direction.

Later Weyman,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVBurt
If I can figure out how to get the throttle apart I will lube the cables etc. to see if it helps at all.
Thanks
Don't lube the cables! They're teflon coated on the inside and lubing will FUBAR them.

Velcome!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in