k100 backfire and not starting :( - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 9:17 am Thread Starter

k100 backfire and not starting :(

i uncovered my previously trusted steed after letting it stand outside for a few weeks . i started it no probs ,then went inside to get the gear on so i could go for a spin. when i tried to re start it it backfired and now wont start , thought i may have flooded it so i left it 24 hrs ...still the same symptoms .is it possible i have bent a butterfly in the air box/throttle housing .seem to remember i did this with a fuel injected car some yrs ago ,and had similar symptoms . any help would be greatly appreciated . feel i have let her down not riding for such a long time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 11:31 am
Gold Supporter

Re: k100 backfire and not starting :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso58
i uncovered my previously trusted steed after letting it stand outside for a few weeks . i started it no probs ,then went inside to get the gear on so i could go for a spin. when i tried to re start it it backfired and now wont start , thought i may have flooded it so i left it 24 hrs ...still the same symptoms .is it possible i have bent a butterfly in the air box/throttle housing .seem to remember i did this with a fuel injected car some yrs ago ,and had similar symptoms . any help would be greatly appreciated . feel i have let her down not riding for such a long time
I would ask a question first. Is it trying to start? Did you check the usual things,Kill Switch, Side stand switch? If OK check the area where the air box ties to the throttle bodies and make sure the connections are physically sound. Also make sure the air control valve is working. It is in the bottom of the air filter box. I have seen a few of them go bad over the years. One other thing to check is that the fuel filter inside the tank has not split or cracked. Sounds like a air flow problem for the most part.

Good Luck

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jim ,
thanks for speedy reply .no nothing silly im afraid. engine is trying to start ,then im getting sounds like combustion in the exhaust .sort of a whoosing noise ,just ocassionlaly. hence pretty sure some fuel is getting into motor ,engine is cranking as usual with normal regular sound ,so no lack of compression etc.
rgds Steve

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 30th, 2008, 2:36 am

Maybe one of the ignition coils or wires gone bad. Was the "backfire" a real backfire (in intake) or an afterfire (in exhaust)? If it were an afterfire I would suspect ignition problems. You could check each plug for spark and see how that does.
If the initial "backfire" was through the intake you could have bent a butterfly BUT it would have to be a pretty violent backfire since the throttle blades are pretty small. and with just one bent it should still start, roughly, but still start.
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 1st, 2008, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

just to keep you informed checked injectors today hanging off side to check spray pattern 2 back ones are doing nothing swapped round and it looks like the cold weather is causing them to seize up . obviously 2 front cyls were filling up with fuel and unable to fire caused a bit of combustion in exhaust . going to try new injectors .think it should sort it
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 9:59 am Thread Starter

gutted looks like i got enthusiastic to soon ! put injectors back on this morning hoping the night in the house may breath some life into them ,as i reckon cold was causing them to stick . all 4 are now spraying, but sadly symptoms are exactly the same. i am getting fuel and a good spark on all 4 plugs , really got me puzzled ,i removed air filter housing and air metering unit ,flap inside looks good and is moving freely. so much for my 1st theory.also compression seems ok according to even sound on turn over . will prob do a compression check for the hell of it next ,
any suggestions greatly appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in