K11lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

K11lt

I have recently been looking at R series bikes thinking of purchasing a second BMW but I keep seeing K1100LT's that appear to be in nice shape and are for sale at reasonable prices. So since I am happy with my K12LT this seems like a good second bike for me.

We have all read of the clutch issues and the final drive issues on the K12LT and I have experienced those so I was wondering what types of issues might be lurking in the K11?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 5:47 pm

Re: K11lt

They are a great bike. Mine had 95K on it when I sold it without any problems. The clutch is cable operated, so no slave. Only way clutch could get wet was by engine oil. I actually liked the seating position better on the 11 because the bars are a bit more forward. The bars are a lot narrower which is kind of weird going between the two bikes. The only thing I didn't like about it was engine heat. Some spoilers might help, but it was nice in the winter to have the heat . Also my knees would rub against the front body panel which was really weird. I'm 5'11'' but must have longer legs than normal. I think the windscrean is much better than the stock windscreen on the 12. It may be small but does a lot better.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 7:39 pm

Here's what I have been told by friends that ride K1100s. 1st, they have only one radiator and one fan. 2nd, when its hot they can overheat, even at speed.

You live in Florida. Nuf said. Go for a model with better cooling. BTW, everyone I know with a K1100 has had a FD issue.

These are not my experiences, but what friends who rode and still ride the K11 say.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:43 pm

post #5 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 2:52 am Thread Starter

Hmmmmmm kind of a mixed bag so far......... but let me thank you for taking the time to reply, let's see what other pearls of wisdom are left for us to find...

post #6 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:38 pm

.... use to own 97 K11LT. Great Sport tourer, had no problem for almost 3 years
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 9:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a '96 K1100LT. While I was mostly pleased with it, I hated the "K-Buzz" at around 3500 RPM's. On the K1100 LT, the engine is a stressed member of the frame and it would transmit a buzz through the seat and handlebars at 3500 RPM, which was about 70 MPH. I know, the answer is don't ride 70 MPH, but I hated it. This was fixed on the K1200 LT with frame isolators that took the buzz out. In addition to other issues mentioned in this post, personally I believe there are better bikes than the K1100LT as a secondary rider. Just my .02 worth.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Thumbs up Re: K11lt

I still have my 93 K1100 LT with only 34,000 miles on it. I purchased it from a salvage dealer in 94 for $5,500 US with 765 miles on it. Had the bike checked at a dealer in Boston, it passed the tests and was in basically good shape except for the fairing and one sadle bag ( owner slide around a corner at 35 mph trying to avoid a deer!!)

He was an insurance agent so they wrote the bike off!! ( marked on the insurance claim $9780.00 worth of damage). I changed the fairing, sadlebag and had some cosmetic work done and that was it!!

The bike has been "bulletproof" besides tires and oils. She has pulled a tent trailer, two up most of her life. and has never let us down!!! I recently purchased a 2005 LT so "Cleo" will have a rest in the garage till someone shows an interest, if not she will stay there for a while!!!

Best BIKE I have ever owned ( I have had BSA's, Nortons, Triumphs ( Rocket three's), Honda's and the two BMW's ( GS 80 and the K1100 LT and by far the best one so far is the K 1100).

My 2 cents worth!!!
Bowdon
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 7:25 pm

I have a 94 K1100lt & it has been the best of the bikes (9) & the best BMW (5) I've ever owned. It has 69000 miles & the only problems I have had are a weaping front brake master cyl. , & the front fork seals leaking. The rear end had to be replaced about 2k after a lay down on a freeway off ramp in San Diego. Damage was not caught during repairs & was probably caused by the tow truck & the way it was hauled away, on a hook. Only complaint I have is that the canyon red color attracts yellow jackets within a minute or so after we stop. A small price to pay.Very comfortable on long trips, with a Corbin saddle & sheepskin. Wife & I can easily do 750 miles a day for 10-12 days running & I have done 1100 in one day by myself. Enjoy.
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 2:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate your taking your time to help out!!

post #11 of 12 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Here's what I have been told by friends that ride K1100s. 1st, they have only one radiator and one fan. 2nd, when its hot they can overheat, even at speed.

You live in Florida. Nuf said. Go for a model with better cooling. BTW, everyone I know with a K1100 has had a FD issue.

These are not my experiences, but what friends who rode and still ride the K11 say.
I have both a 93 K1100LT and a 94 K1100RS.

They do generate some serious thigh heat at times - but one of the members over at the K11 owners group site came up with an insulating blanket that helps tone that down. Others have installed a thermo switch that kicks the fan in much earlier to deal with the heat in Austrlia.

I have never heard of one actually overheating. There is an issue if the seal for the radiator cap goes but that's an easy and inexpensive fix.

I have never heard of a single FD failure - you must be thinking of some other bike. Check that, I've heard of one but it was a high mile K1100RS that had been ridden hard. On occasion there can be drive shaft issues.

Aside from the heat thing, they are great bikes.

Yes, I'm obviously biased but I really do like both of my K1100s.

Last edited by Flying_Duck; Nov 16th, 2008 at 12:03 am.
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
I had a '96 K1100LT. While I was mostly pleased with it, I hated the "K-Buzz" at around 3500 RPM's. On the K1100 LT, the engine is a stressed member of the frame and it would transmit a buzz through the seat and handlebars at 3500 RPM, which was about 70 MPH. I know, the answer is don't ride 70 MPH, but I hated it. This was fixed on the K1200 LT with frame isolators that took the buzz out. In addition to other issues mentioned in this post, personally I believe there are better bikes than the K1100LT as a secondary rider. Just my .02 worth.
I've never understood the buziness complaint. I've got two and never notice any buziness. If I pay attention to it, there's maybe a little and it's not as smooth as a K75 but what is?

In fact, to stiffen up the steering on my K1100s, I added some washers under the handlebar mounting bushings to make the steering virtually solid - and I still don't have any buziness isues at the handlebars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in