K100 Gear indicator. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

K100 Gear indicator.

Well, after all the work getting it running and back together...The gear indicator isn't working right. I found the connector and took it apart and rang out the switch using the instructions here http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/trans-switch.shtml The switch rang good in all gears and did not have continuity where it shouldn't. I cleaned the contacts in the connector and still it won't work right. It reads 1st gear and neutral when it should but in 2nd it is either blank or says 0 and the green neutral light comes on. 3rd is usually blank, 4th sometimes reads right but usually says 1 and 5th flickers back and forth between 5 and 1. I found one of the pins in the connector that was being pushed out when I put it together so I pushed it back in. Sometimes when I'd fiddle with the wires I could get all of the gears to report correctly...once. Then it is back to the same old nonsense. I even replaced the connector with a DB9 connector, solidering all of the wires into the pins. When I put it back together it worked...once.
Could the problem be in the instrument cluster? Ir am I looking at a flaky switch? And, can the switch be replaced without dropping the transmission? It sure doesn't look like it can.
Hoping someone has some insight to this problem..I just can't stand it when everything isn't working right.
Oh, and the stock pump finally gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a Bosch turbine pump for a Taurus..$85 vs $350 for the stock BMW pump...made by....Bosch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: K100 Gear indicator.

Instrument cluster problems are very common on this model of k bike. Sometimes cleaning the pin connectors on the cluster helps. The ones I have worked on in the past frequently ended up with loose connections inside the cluster housing. There use to be a lot of info on these units in the IBMWR.org forum, tech support area.
I would not rule out the switch unit though. Especially on a bike that has set up for a long time.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Re: K100 Gear indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
I would not rule out the switch unit though. Especially on a bike that has set up for a long time.
Thanks. That's why I immediatly did the ring out of the switch, it worked just like it was supposed to going from 1st all the way to 5th and back down to 1st. I kinda have to call the switch good at this point (crossing fingers). I guess I'll have a peek in the cluster and see if maybe there are corroded connectors there. I did rap on the cluster while fooling with the gears and it made no difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in