K100 RT ressurection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

K100 RT ressurection

Well, it is up and road worthy now, the basket case RT I was fixing for a co worker.
To sum up, it was not running, the injectors were frozen, the pump was too. The rubber in the tank was a mass of goo, the front master cylinder was compressed and corroded in place, the clutch was stuck, the brake lines were shot (couldn't get fluid through them) the RH lower fairing was pretty broken up and to top it off it was a filthy mess.
I was able to clean out the injectors and pump and get them running again. A new (used) master cylinder and new lines from Speigler (can't say enough good things about that company), now the breaks work. Got a battery for it and new fuel hoses and filter...did a 24k mile service (all fluids, etc) Did some glass work on the fairing (good as new) and painting. Sand blasted the heat shield and painted it. Did a through clean up on the bike and it looks 1000% better. I'm really liking the look and feel of it. One thing I did find out...This bike HATES regular gas, premium only. Just need to change the tires and we're on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 6:37 pm

Re: K100 RT ressurection

Sounds like a GREAT save - and as one restorer to another:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 9:46 pm

Morley -
The "Brick" may hate regular gas, but it will be just fine with "plus".
Nice work on the resurrection. You can now see where the LT comes from.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Will be taking pictures tomorrow (gotta wax it), though it won't look quite right, he can't find the crash bar that was hit and the side panels & bags are MIA as well. Got the new rear tire this evening...got a job lined up for tomorrow...get to try my new No-Mar-Bar.

And I had no idea that fork oil for it was going to be so hard to come by, no one has 5w fork oil.
I wasn't going to chance filling it up with plus, it ran so horribly on regular (had a bad knock at 2k rpm) I wanted to put premium in it to be sure it was fuel related and not a spun bearing, or worse.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 6:30 am

Congratulations - looking forward to the pictures.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:40 am

Congratulations. My favorite past time is giving new life to old BMW's (my dealer loves my projects $$$$).
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

Well, no pictures yet. I spent my day trying to figure out the gear indicator. Going to start a new thread on it.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Morley
RE: Fork Oil - 5W should not be a problem at dealers. Just finished a fork seal job on my "brick" 2 weeks ago. Here's his URL if your still having trouble locating a supplier.
http://www.ccbmw.com/

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 1:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg
Morley
RE: Fork Oil - 5W should not be a problem at dealers. Just finished a fork seal job on my "brick" 2 weeks ago. Here's his URL if your still having trouble locating a supplier.
http://www.ccbmw.com/
Thanks. I can get the oil, they just have to special order it. While looking on line at the recommended oils one of them crossed to MIL-S-5606..a hydraulic fluid I use at work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in