BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Dirty Oil Glass indicator K100 RT 1990

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beamhead 
#1 ·
Hello all, Yes this is my first post. There's just so much other interesting stuff to read. Anyway I'm sure I read somewhere an easy way of cleaning the oil level inspection window (on the inside). Mine is a bit dull and having to wear glasses makes it very difficult to see. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thankyou.

#2 · (Edited)
Look at this.

http://www.mts-motorradtechnik.de/produkte/index.html

I tried too clean the glas sometime, but the plastic on the inside was old and it was not enaught too clean it.

But the easy way is too replace the glas, you drain all engine oil, and pull the oilseal around the glas out, and then the glas. Reinnstall a new glas whith new oilseal. You can do all work from the outside of your bike. Thats BMW ;)

But remember too clean the hole wery good, before too install the new set of oilseal and glas, and you alsow must use an sement round the new seeling too prevent oilleak. Ask your BMW dealer about the replacement.

Good luck :)

#5 ·
Thanks to previous posts and links for helping me quickly understand the physical set up.

Main thing to realise is that there is a metal plate behind the glass that makes it very hard to clean.

Some of suggestions here, like drilling and breaking the glass, or total replacement seem a bit drastic for a few microns of carbon deposit.

To get easy access you need to remove the oil filter (which you are probably doing anyway) and the oil scavenge pipe ( one hex-screw ).

Physical access to wipe the inner surface is near impossible so I tried squirting some WD40 cleaner/lube spray into the holes. It probably needs acetone or similar but I don't have that in spray format. Electrical contact clearer may help.

However, I did find that I could push the plastic straw that comes with the WD spray through the holes and get it do a loop inside. Then pumping it back and forth gets it to rub the glass. Try different holes for different directions.

A final blast of WD40 to flush it out.

Something like an old-fashioned pipe cleaner or the micro brushes for getting between teeth may do better.

This solution was sub-optimal but does clean the glass enough for me to see the oil level once again, which was after all the aim.

No breakage, no chasing spare parts, no cost. Oil change completed, back on the road. Near enough for my needs. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.