K&N Air Filters - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:32 am Thread Starter

K&N Air Filters

Hi all,
I'm doing spring maintenance which includes changing the air filter. Thinking of going with the K&M instead of the OEM. Worth it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 8:32 am

Re: K&N Air Filters

The PO installed a K&N on mine. I've not inspected it since.

There was a thread a little while ago discussing K&N air filters. There was some concern over the "high air flow" they will pass causing a "sandblasting" effect on your engine internals

Others swore they were fine for over 100K.

My only concern is over the "supposed" requirement to oil them. If I have to dig in that far to access the filter, I'm probably going to replace it.

Search a little for some threads and make up your mind.

You'll either swear at or swear by them

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 6:43 am

I saw a thread in another section of the forum about K&N filters where a member was asking about using a cone filter over the intake and if that would work. A search for "K&N cone filter" should take you to that thread. HTH

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I saw a thread in another section of the forum about K&N filters where a member was asking about using a cone filter over the intake and if that would work. A search for "K&N cone filter" should take you to that thread. HTH

I do place a fine mesh over my intake and clean it off every time I wash the bike. I have not had any ill effects as of yet with a K&N filter, which I oil one a year.
Have not seen a lot of debris in the tray where the filter sits.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to go ahead and get the K&N and put a screen in front of it just for initial protection. I'm not used to paying $50 for a air filter. Hey, guess what? It's going to be 50 degrees tomorrow here in Wisconsin. Man, I HAVE to move to North Carolina!
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:15 am

Frankly, the K&N filters rely on what amounts to 30 year old technology and heavy marketing. All of the systems on our bikes and cars have improved yet we reach for this inferior product based on this marketing and the impression that this is all that's available. These filters are based on a porous cotton gauze which, by itself, filters almost nothing and can cause serious dust ingestion (damage) to your engine. Then they recommend that a customer applies this nasty cleaner/oil ( Disodium Metasilicate) to the filter before and during use. Why do you suppose they require this oil? The fact is, once the particulates begin to stick to this oil, the restriction level and flow decrease is very dramatic. So much so that it normally performs worse than the original filter. Either leave the existing filter in the car and replace it regularly or buy a new technology, high performance filter like the Amsoil or the even better flowing and filtering R2C Performance unit. These are a little more money but they are cleaned with low pressure, compressed air and NEVER need DM oil. By the way, read the warning label for the process before you start applying this stuff. Remember, a filter should be a filter first and when designed properly, not subject a user to the compromises we face with existing cotton/oil products. Happy motoring.

Last edited by Dragpack; Jun 18th, 2008 at 1:44 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 10:36 am

K&N is very good - at marketing.

BMW OEM filters are better. And you don't need to change them out every 12k - 40 or 50k is more like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in