BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

K100 tell me about the good, bad and ugly about this bike

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  83elite 
#1 ·
A friend is looking at a K100 (1985?) with 30k on the clocks. $1500 or less. Good things, bad things, or just turn and run the opposite direction
Thanks
Jim

#2 ·
Having owned a 1985 K100 and a 1992 K1100 my suggestion would be to look for a K1100. The K1100 is slightly larger but has better front forks and has the paralever final drive. These bikes are getting quite old and all the rubber parts, brake lines, fuel hoses, might be in poor condition. They have dry clutches like cars and if have been slipped a lot on starting from a stop the motor rear main could be seeping or leaking damaging the clutch. The oil filter is inside the motor and access is gained removing a small plate on the bottom of the pan. On the plus side they are both easy to work on.

Gary

Reactions: sailor
#3 ·
Hi , the K100 requires more mantance that the later bikes .. like pulling the transmition and lubing the input / clutch splines & the drive shaft / final drive splines .

As said all the rubber parts may have not held up over the years.. But other that that they are good bikes:wave

#5 ·
I put 75K on an '85 K100, probably the most dependable bike I ever owned. If it's been stored/maintained properly, It should be fine with the low mileage.

I would take the other folk's advice though and go ahead and replace a lot of the rubber stuff, particularly brake lines. The bike will also feel a bit "dated" compared to newer bikes, but they are rock solid dependable. The '85's also had more power than some of the later models. It really just depends on what they want to do with the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.