BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1990 k100 LT

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  maxmillion 
#1 ·
Howdy. Thanks for allowing me in the forum. I am a newbie to the K bike. I have an airhead currently and a k1600. I picked up the K from a gentleman that let it go into disrepair. I have had some keys made and am getting it to crank, but no pop. Was told it has a new fuel pump. Was wondering if the seat switch has to be pushed in( I was trying to start it with the seat up because I had just installed a new battery)? Also wondering about the keys. The ignition keys don't seem to fit the radio box cover or other right side "glove box". Could these just need lubed up or were they typically different keys? Open to input and thanks again.

#2 ·
Max, Welcome, sorry, you got lost in a seldom frequented area.

No, The seat does not have to be down. You may be seeing an seat alarm button. I would think that the alarm would not allow cranking w/o it being turned off, but it does crank (and not start) if the side stand is deployed, so i may be wrong as none of mine has ever had an alarm.

You should hear the fuel pump cycle at key on.

Not too sure about the keys, the '85 has different keys for the bags but the '91 are all the same. Would expect the '90 LT to be all the same.

Have you checked out Motobrick.com? Great old k bike forum. Reading there will get your bike started, just have to go through the repair tree.

Reactions: ljjohns
#3 ·
Actually, found out that the alarm went out when I pushed down that seat button so I taped it for now. Also found that the fuel pump was shot and I had to replace it-along with some fuel supply lines that were not gas impervious. Cleaned up the plugs and it popped off and ran. Will work on those fairing box keys to get them freed up. Thanks for the reply, alabrew. Guess not much traffic on here for the k75 and k100. As for Motobrick, I tried for the last 2 weeks to get on there-no reply. I am going to try again today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.