Oil residue found in airbox - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Oil residue found in airbox

I am Dave from Basildon in Essex/UK and I am a new member with a great BMW 1200rs, however it has just noticeably started to blow smelly blue smoke from the exhaust.

Bike history - I recently bought a 1999 K1200rs and absolutely love it however the bike started to blow blueish smoke a couple of days ago. The oil in the bike was a couple of years old and had only covered a few hundred miles.
I have changed the oil to 10w40 Mobil 1 and replaced the oil filter with an oem part, but the smoke is still there and thick enough to see, and smelly.
I have taken the air filter out which was definitely due a change, I have seen worse but still it was rather dark and slightly oily on the throttle body side and dusty-dirty on the air intake side. I have a new oem one to go back in.
There is oily residue in the rubber boots and the worse is no.4 cylinder, the others were just a mist whereby no.4 was a thin film.
The old spark plugs were an excellent example of good running condition (tanned and clean) but number 4 had some oily residue on the electrodes, however a lot of this wiped away leaving blackened electrodes that were not baked or looked as though they had been burning oil between the electrodes for some time - there was no crust! This indicates to me that this oil issue is recent.

That is as far as I have got with this and I am reluctant to dress it all up without at least knowing the true cause of why this oil is getting in to the air box and why it fouled the spark plug....
Oil level is showing three-fifths high in the site glass on the center stand, and the bike was running on the center stand when it was smoking, I let it get up to temperature and revved it a bit which increased the smoke a little.

Any help would be appreciated - thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 3:49 pm

Re: Oil residue found in airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeemer View Post
I am Dave from Basildon in Essex/UK and I am a new member with a great BMW 1200rs, however it has just noticeably started to blow smelly blue smoke from the exhaust.

Bike history - I recently bought a 1999 K1200rs and absolutely love it however the bike started to blow blueish smoke a couple of days ago. The oil in the bike was a couple of years old and had only covered a few hundred miles.
I have changed the oil to 10w40 Mobil 1 and replaced the oil filter with an oem part, but the smoke is still there and thick enough to see, and smelly.
I have taken the air filter out which was definitely due a change, I have seen worse but still it was rather dark and slightly oily on the throttle body side and dusty-dirty on the air intake side. I have a new oem one to go back in.
There is oily residue in the rubber boots and the worse is no.4 cylinder, the others were just a mist whereby no.4 was a thin film.
The old spark plugs were an excellent example of good running condition (tanned and clean) but number 4 had some oily residue on the electrodes, however a lot of this wiped away leaving blackened electrodes that were not baked or looked as though they had been burning oil between the electrodes for some time - there was no crust! This indicates to me that this oil issue is recent.

That is as far as I have got with this and I am reluctant to dress it all up without at least knowing the true cause of why this oil is getting in to the air box and why it fouled the spark plug....
Oil level is showing three-fifths high in the site glass on the center stand, and the bike was running on the center stand when it was smoking, I let it get up to temperature and revved it a bit which increased the smoke a little.

Any help would be appreciated - thank you.
Welcome Dave. from across the pond in Sugar Hill Georgia.

If you have the capability of doing a compression test, you might try that and see if there is any appreciable difference in any of the cylinders. Make sure you keep the battery charged up while cranking so not to risk fusing the starter relay if yours still has the old style non low voltage cut out relay.

If your compression is good then you are looking at possibly worn oil rings or old hard valve oil seals. I know they do smoke some on start up like my 01 LT especially if you leave it on the side stand but you mentioned it being on center. I take it you haven't had it long enough to see an oil usage pattern yet or the need to top it off after so many kilometers. Oil in the air box seems to be somewhat normal, at least in my experience as there is a vent that feeds into the throttle body from the crank case. The oil vapor seems to condense in there causing an oily residue.

If #4 was slightly fouled, that is where I would start. You might be looking at a valve seal job but without opening it up to have a look see, tough to diagnose from such a distance. If you have low compression on #4 or any of the cylinders, pull the head and check the nikasil coating. If it is damaged, then you are looking at a new/used motor. If it is good then I would swap the valve seals out and see how that goes.

Gordon

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Thank you Gordon for the advice and to be honest I want to carry out a compression test as I have never done this before....what can go wrong!
I have heard the mention of oil levels being an issue and was wondering if these bikes are sensitive to oil levels and specific mixes of oil, or maybe not?

Either way I will come back to this thread with some readings and hopefully get a better idea of what the problem is, as having several bike in the past I know the amount of blueish smoke that is coming from the bike is not normal.

Once again thank you and the name of your county sounds great! - better than 'Basildon' anyhow.

post #4 of 6 Old May 7th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Hello Dave,
As often as possible positioning the motorcycle K1200RS on the center stand down so that the oil well in the oil pan and does not remain in the camshaft cover.
Because oil seeps through the valves because of the inclined position of your K1200 in the side stand, when you go to start the engine you'll see a lot of smoke in the exhaust.
The engine does not like oil levels too high in crankcase.

Paulo

K1200RS - 1997
K1200LT - 1999
K1200GT - 2008

Ride With Pride
Blue Knights France - Chapter V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old May 8th, 2016, 10:12 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeemer View Post

Hi Dave.
Better level of community support for the K1200RS/GT model will be on either
K-bikes.com or I-BMW where there are a lot more riders of that model.
Some of the guys here hang out on all the forums, but those ones have much more specific focus and you'll get a wider (and very good) response.
Enjoy!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 6 Old May 9th, 2016, 3:47 pm

All good advice above. But I would suggest since the bike is new to you that a good hard run for a few days won't hurt. There may be some carbon build up in the rings of that cylinder. The RS is known for having carbon problems if not run reasonably hard. Your bike is "old". I would start on long term maintenance if it has not been done. After you sort out your smoke problem, get new brake lines, look over your ignition cables for indications of high voltage leakage. That sort of thing. And flush the brake system. If the previous owner used non synthetic oil you might want to go back to that. One good thing, finding oil in your air box rather than dripping down the engine block on the right side means your breather hoses are okay for now.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in