Noob K1200RS question : What is this pipe/cable? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Noob K1200RS question : What is this pipe/cable?

Hi there

Yesterday I purchased a 1997 K1200RS, today I am looking it over for problems etc.

The bike has a replacement engine in it (one from a 2001 K1200RS the previous owner told me)

Whilst draining the petrol out to fix a petrol leak I found the following unconnected cable housing/pipe and I would like to know what it's for.

Any ideas?

Any help gratefully accepted!

Thanks, David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Re: Noob K1200RS question : What is this pipe/cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justvisiting View Post
...and I would like to know what it's for.
I think that is the bleeder for your clutch slave cylinder. It's supposed to be zip tied up out of the way. Looks weird, though. Most came with a filler fitting with a grub screw rather than the bleeder. Maybe was installed by a PO?

Kevin Sawatsky, Kingston, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'01 BMW K1200LT (early version) - Sold
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 5:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For what it's worth, I installed a Speedbleeder in place of the grub screw on my LT to simplify bleeding the clutch. I would suggest that one should be cleaned up real well and have a dust cap on it, before tying it off again under the tupperware.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for that info, I am somewhat relieved it's not something essential that hasn't been plugged back in!

Another quick question, today I noticed that the bike only has one throttle cable (the one to open the throttle) the one to close it seems to be missing.

It seems like the PO may have been riding it around all the time like this, so I am wondering what (if any) benefit there is to fitting the second cable back on there.

Anyone know if it makes a big difference?

Many thanks

David
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justvisiting View Post
Thanks for that info, I am somewhat relieved it's not something essential that hasn't been plugged back in!

Another quick question, today I noticed that the bike only has one throttle cable (the one to open the throttle) the one to close it seems to be missing.

It seems like the PO may have been riding it around all the time like this, so I am wondering what (if any) benefit there is to fitting the second cable back on there.

Anyone know if it makes a big difference?

Many thanks

David
The 2nd throttle cable is a reverse direction cable to force Throttle-bodies (TB) close. IT IS ONLY INSTALLED on later K1200RS equipped with factory optional cruise-control. In fact, at the Throttle-bodies assy (TB), the cable bracket is such that you cannot connect the 2nd cable on a model without cruise-control (see Yellow square for 2nd cable attachment in 1st photo).

In 2001 (only 2002 for USA) BMW redesigned the K1200RS with a different nose-fairing, added Integral-ABS (brake with servo motors) and also offered the Electronic cruise-control similar to what was already available on K1200LT.

On early models like yours (1997-2000 for Europe , 1998-2001 for USA), there is an apparent space for a another cable at the handlebar, however the 2nd cable is not installed. On these, it is assumed the TB return springs will always return throttle at idle-stop when twist-grip is released - unfortunately this is not always true with age as the cable wears and dirt find its way under throttle twist-grip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_Throttle_bodies_1to4_from_FRONT1 (95-34-441).JPG
Views:	304
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	82050   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_1998_Throttle_bodies_from_FRONT (95-38-401 with IDLE-SCREWS).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	82058  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:30 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 5:30 am Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for that comprehensive response, happy to know that the throttle cable is not a bodge job!
All the best
David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in