K1100LT Upgrades - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 3:27 am Thread Starter

Smile K1100LT Upgrades

Hello all,

First of all thank you for having me here and hopefully there are still people who ride the K1100LT and can help me with some things.

I bought my first K bike last year , it is an K1100LT 1996 ABS version . From what it looked like the owner retrofired it with and stock Clarion radio which was not mounted on brackets so it moved in the front side box and eventually it shorted out. I have it at the shop right now , hopefully someone will fix a 96ish radio(the reason I did this is because fitting it with a newer radio will make the handlebar commands useless,if that won't work I will go with the newer version get an handlebar command converter or get a marine remote , this is the most expensive part )

Nevertheless I searched for various solutions on the web and I rather stick to the old radio as much as possible but the problem is with the speakers . From what I saw the best bang for buck are the Polk Audio db401 speakers which are made in the USA and nor Amazon or the product site ship to Romania, and buying them on ebay just cost to much for a pair of speakers.

If you have any ideas on the radio part of the k1100lt , let me know.

The bike is also doing some major restoration since i had a little incident and it was a good time to repaint it and give it some good old elbow grease .

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make some proper crash bars for it as the old ones just ripped off the rubber mounts and I cannot fine any to replace them so I wanted to make a study crash cage the only problem is that the engine is a structural part of the bike and I am having doubts on how to fabricate something that would not destroy the engine in the event of an small accident (hopefully not the case but still).

Also I found that the engine eats about 200-250ml of oil / 2300km which after extensive research on the internet seems to be fine.

Also once in heavy traffic the gas pump turned on and I was wondering why , to my surprise it seems that the gas tank heated up so much and the pump was just trowing away excess gas vapor and I got worried a bit.(I am not sure if it's a common problem but during all the rides it never did that until I was stuck in traffic with max load and a passenger )
My fix is this hopefully is not a major engine problem is to install a button to keep the vent on at all times on the radiator when stuck in traffic and cover the side, front and gas tank with a thermal isolation.

I know it's a lot of info , but a friend of mine who owns a k1200lt told me this was the place to go and I really like the bike.

I rather turn it into furniture than give it away

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Fluffymaster; Apr 23rd, 2015 at 3:41 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 7:53 am

Re: K1100LT Upgrades

You might want to raise these issues on motobrick.com

Larry Johnson
El Paso Tx
post #3 of 5 Old May 27th, 2015, 7:55 am

I'm a little late to the thread, but I'd like to also recommend that you visit the K11 owners group at K11og.org

Nothing you cited about your bike seems out of the ordinary. Your fuel pump probably kicks on all the time, but you just don't hear it at speed. The tank will get hot. Can't help you on the radio, as I pulled mine long ago to recover the space, and used portable music and helmet speakers/earphones. I might still have that radio around here somewhere. The speakers were trash. As far as the crash bars go, I believe you're stuck. The rubberized mounts are intentionally weak, as you wouldn't want to have something really sturdy transferring an impact directly to the engine.

Hope that's some help. Welcome to the K world.
Don

post #4 of 5 Old May 29th, 2015, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Cool K1100LT Upgrades

Hello,

Thanks for all the info, I am proud to say that I am in the final stages of putting the bike back on the road . So far I have electrostatic painted the frame wheels and a few other metal parts , as far as the plastics go ...from what I understood they are all painted...mat black . The radio is fixed and as good as new with a pair of new speakers ...the cassette works like it's 1996 .

As for the crash cage, I will try to find a way to either fix the old crash bars and make some rubber mounts and bolts as It is really hard to find new ones...or see what I will do about that.

I will post pictures with motorbike with all the stages of the "get it back on track" process.

Have a good one !

post #5 of 5 Old Jun 11th, 2015, 2:43 am

Hi there, unless I see the type and style of rubber mountings this idea may be of no use. However, could you find an automotive exhaust metalastic mount? There are so many to choose from. This would give you the shock absorption of an impact plus could let go before any serious damage could occur. Just a thought.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in