rear brake problems? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Mar 19th, 2015, 6:32 am Thread Starter

rear brake problems?

Hi guys,

Over the past few years on my k1200lt 2004 I've had problems with the rear brake (well I think it's the rear brake anyway) what happens is that it seems to come on on its own (with the yellow brake warning light on the dash flashing) enough to slow the bike to a standstill and enough not to be able to set off again unless I switch off at the ignition and switch back on. It tends to happen after using the brake and start to accelerate again.

Has anyone else had this trouble before?

I had it in at the garage a year or so ago with an ex dealership mechanic and he checked it over including abs system and stripped the caliper down etc and it seemed to rectify it for a while before coming back again

Could it be just lack of use? As I've not really been able to put many miles on her over the past few years but it doesn't happen on the front, it's definitely from the rear that slows her down.

Also I'm thinking of taking it off myself and inspecting the caliper. Now with it having the abs unit on, will it leak brake fluid when I disconnect the hose from the caliper?

I ask cos I know it's not just a simple bleed of fluid with going thru the abs unit first, or does it with it having its own fluid reserve for the back brake.

Apologies if this is a bit long winded but I'm trying to think of everything I want to ask

cheers Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eevie2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	76266  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in