North Hwy 49 .... What a Mess !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2012, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

North Hwy 49 .... What a Mess !!

Did a 300 mile loop Monday from Placerville to Nevada city and NORTH UP HWY 49 around Lake Tahoe back home.

** MAJOR hi-way construction starting in Downyville going toward Sierra city taking us near 1 hour 20 min to go the 12 miles !!
Roadway is being ground up and removed then laid back down as road base to then be black topped. Where not ground up is Loose gravel and sand for miles !!

Road crew stating they are up there for the summer 4-5 months repaving the hwy all summer. What a nice BLACKTOP surface they are doing, but no way to enjoy it this year

Just an FYI to those Nor Cal guys who may want to do the trip at some point this summer.

Regards,
Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; May 22nd, 2012 at 2:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2012, 1:34 pm

Garage
Re: North Hwy 49 .... What a Mess !!

Yes, I was thinking I would return to Downieville this summer. Looping around Lake Tahoe and including Placerville, Nevada City, and other points.
But that sounds like maybe next summer would be the better idea there, UNLESS next summer they have some other part of the area all tore up.
And, am I going to still be alive next year?
Where else could I ride? Should I wait til next year? I have got to start rethinking my ideas.
dc
post #3 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2012, 4:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up Scott.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

post #4 of 7 Old May 30th, 2012, 11:48 am
BMW Guru

Had a great ride Monday From Nevada City to Verdi Nevada on Henness Pass Rd and other dirt roads.

Returned on 89 and 49 and quite enjoyed the gravel section of Hwy 49....of course I was on my GS

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 7 Old May 30th, 2012, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Had a great ride Monday From Nevada City to Verdi Nevada on Henness Pass Rd and other dirt roads.

Returned on 89 and 49 and quite enjoyed the gravel section of Hwy 49....of course I was on my GS
Smart ass in every crowd ... good for you Ted having that GS and knobbies !!

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 7 Old May 30th, 2012, 4:27 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Smart ass in every crowd ... good for you Ted having that GS and knobbies !!

Don't need knobbies for all that :-)

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 7 Old May 30th, 2012, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Don't need knobbies for all that :-)
Obviously I said it wrong .... knobby balls then like a guy who does Baja trips on a GS

Here ya on the gravel, not a problem on the LT either, just not very much fun being that tense while riding two up with wife on the back

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in