ride recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

ride recommendations

Cali folks,

If you had one day to ride, starting in Redding and ending up in Redding, what loop would you do?

I was thinking 36 down to the coast, then maybe coming back on 299. Looks good in Google Maps at least.

We'll be two-up; so I'd like something scenic and nice, but we won't be trying to make like Checa, and want to be able to have a nice leisurely lunch. I.e., the priority is to make it a nice day for the boss, rather than the kind of day I'd spend 1-up with the guys.

While I'm at it...lunch recommendations would be fabulous, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 8:07 pm
Super Moderator

Re: ride recommendations

36 is an awesome ride, one of the best in the country. That plus 299 wouldn't be bad, just expect more traffic on 299. ALso, very little fuel is available on 36. Another option would be a loop through the Trinity Alps - 299 to 3 and up towards Weaverville and Etna (stop in Etna at the old soda fountain, fun stuff), then on to Yreka, pick up 96 and head towards Happy Camp and down to Willow Creek, then back onto 299 to Redding.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 1:47 am

36 is an awesome ride, but it takes an awful lot of time to do it all the way to 101. It's only a hundred- thirty some-odd miles, but it takes better than half a day to do it. Then to turn around and head back "home"... Making a loop out of 36, 3, 299 is the same as 36's one-way distance and, well, it's a loop. Can't go wrong with any of those numbers, just don't get beat up by what doesn't show on a map... Time.

Don in Lodi
Token Yamaha Rider

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiDon
36 is an awesome ride, but it takes an awful lot of time to do it all the way to 101. It's only a hundred- thirty some-odd miles, but it takes better than half a day to do it. Then to turn around and head back "home"... Making a loop out of 36, 3, 299 is the same as 36's one-way distance and, well, it's a loop. Can't go wrong with any of those numbers, just don't get beat up by what doesn't show on a map... Time.
Doesn't take me half a day. I do bend a few traffic laws, though.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, guys...I had picked up on the time factor and had already started playing around with some alternatives to looping back to Redding. Was going to play with it a little then run it up the flagpole for comments. Instead, I'll just think out loud here...

I'm thinking get an early start, ride 36, then head south on 101. It turns out we don't have to be back in Redding that night, but in Sacramento by lunchtime the next day. So now I'm looking at maybe getting down to Calistoga by the end of the day. Haven't had time to look at that in depth, but at first glance looked reasonable as long as we just do a "get there" kinda ride after the 36 stretch. Thought a nice relaxing dinner and breakfast in Calistoga and a real easy next morning might be a nice break...we're covering quite a few miles on the trip and have a long day in the works for the day after the Sacramento thing.

The Boss doesn't really dig doing the twisties at any kind of speed, so I'll need to be very conservative with the scheduling for that part of the ride.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Doesn't take me half a day. I do bend a few traffic laws, though.
I remember that blur on northbound 1 that they told me was you David. I think "bend" is a kind way of putting it.

Don in Lodi
Token Yamaha Rider
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 8:19 pm

36 to Fortuna then the Lost Coast Highway

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you're going to Calistoga from Sacramento, check out Highway 128. You can pick it up in Winters. It will add 30/40 minutes to the most commonly used approach to the Napa Valley, I-80 to 12 west, then, 29 to 128 north. From Sac to up valley it's about a 2 & 1/2 hr ride for me, but I just putt along.

(It pains me to write this now that I know I'm being tracked)

Last edited by seahabit; Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:38 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in