RTW Visitor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up RTW Visitor

While at Scottydawg's last night I recieved a call from a guy who got my number off the ADVrider "Tent Space List" and was looking for a place to camp.
He is a German in his 3rd year of a Round the World trip and was in Ripon after visiting Yosemite NP..
I offered our spare bedroom which he gladly accepted.
When he arrived he discovered his pannier lid had fallen off and since I was not home yet, Janet loaded him in her Yukon and headed for Ripon backtracking in hope of finding the lost lid and stuff attached to it. Returning from Ripon she spotted it near Collegeville on Jacktone Rd and had to awaken him to fetch it, Needless to say he was thrilled.
They rearrived just as I got home and we talked till 3 AM.
He left today at noon for San Francisco, then on to Deadhorse, Alaska.
He is a proffessional photographer and I thought you might enjoy his Website and photos. www.panomoto.com

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 1:58 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Re: RTW Visitor

Picked up another stray...

Good for you and Janet for helping him out. His website is really interesting and he documents his trip and equipment in great detail.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #3 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 9:34 am

Someone visits Doug that has been to MORE places than him. Very cool website too like what Hal said. Plus Janet found his stuff while he was sleeping. He hit the jackpot running into you two.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:34 am
Old Dawg

Love his website, the panoramas are just plain cool. Roger, where were you this week??? We missed ya!

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
Love his website, the panoramas are just plain cool. Roger, where were you this week??? We missed ya!
Yeah I wanted to go but just couldn't get motor vated. I had a long day from Santa Clara to Folsom. Usually I know before time if my Wed. is busy but got hit with a suprise stop late in the day. I haven't had my Focker house fix in a while and I still haven't discussed Doug's trip either and want to do that too.

Next week, Roger goes to dinner. He likes dinner. Roger likes people most of the time.

Also, I found a one bedroom apartment just at the end of my street on Manzanita, a mile from work. I move in at the end of the month. Colby is moving to midtown with some friends.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Old Dawg

I have a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo available by Sac State available if you know someone that is look for a place FYI.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2011, 2:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
I have a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo available by Sac State available if you know someone that is look for a place FYI.
Wow, that closed escrow quick! Congrats!

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
Picked up another stray...
Good for you and Janet for helping him out..

RTW traveler Bjorn Holland ( www.panomoto.com ) returned from San Francisco Sunday afternoon so he could change his chain and sprockets in the shop and visit for another evening so I could help him with another problem.

On 6/15 he was cited by a Yosemite Park Ranger for "passing over the double yellow".
He had done so when after following a lone car for many miles the driver slowed in a short straightaway as if inviting him around. There being no other vehicle behind or oncomming so he passed. 7 miles later after he had passed thru the exit/entrance booth leaving the north entrance he noticed a Ranger behind him which followed him for several minutes and then pulled him over. Noticing his UK license plate the officer made small talk then cited him for "Unsafer Operation" 36 CFR 4.22(b)(1) due to "zero tollerance" policy regarding infractions.

Bjorn explained the driver failed to use any of the available turnouts and then slowed to give him the oppertunity to pass and since he had a clear line of site he passed, never even exceeding the 35 mph speedlimit going around him and felt he had done nothing :Unsafe", infact he had been traveling the World for many years without an accident or ticket and had no interest in taking risks so far from home. Officer wrote him a $275.00 ticket and warned him to pay or there'd be a warrant issued for his arrested. Nice way to welcome a foreign visitor ???????

I advised him no harm in trying to get the ticket dismissed or reduced so lets make some calls.

Bjorn had previously tried to call the 800 number on the ticket at Central Violation Bureau in San Antonio, Tx but only got a recorded loop.

I went online and found the number for the Yosemite Chief of Ranges, called and he answered. He naturally defended his officer saying they did not profit from giving citations but did give me the number for the District Attorney who would be responsible for the case. Bjorn called yesterday and got an assistant DA and explained the facts, that he felt he had done nothing "Unsafe", that the ticket was unjust and on his $1000 per month budget this was an extreem hardship. Bjorn explained how in Europe and most other countries "common sence" is the "Law" of the road and he was used to looking out for himself and felt he was a very safe rider.

The Assistant DA seemed sympathetic and will review the matter with the "Boss" and call him today.

Bjorn has a 10 year USA visa and wants to return so he will pay if that is the only resolution as doing the court thing is not an option.

Bjorn advises he has never seen a country with so many 4-way stops and excess signage.

He left yesterday at 10:00am headed for Crater Lake then on to Seattle for a few days before heading for Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay.

It was fun to meet him and get the scoop on traveling the world.
He had no issues in South America, Central America or Mexico durring his 1 1/2 years it took to get thru them. Suggested I take it in stages leaving the bike and returning later to continue. He liked the DR650 I built (he took it for a spin) as he is considering one for Africa since his BMW f650 will have 80K when done with North America.

His advise is to "JUST GO" !!!!!!

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
RTW traveler Bjorn Holland ( www.panomoto.com ) returned from San Francisco Sunday afternoon so he could change his chain and sprockets in the shop and visit for another evening so I could help him with another problem.

His advise is to "JUST GO" !!!!!!
Yea, like you really need a reason to take a bike trip!

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2011, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: RTW Visitor

Here is link to Bjorn,s latest updated pictures of the USA for you enjoyment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6430830...27906976/show/
Click on the pictures for discriptions and date taken.
Check www.panomoto.com for pictures of the rest of his 50 countries visited in the last 3 years.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

Ride safely my friends

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650

BMW MOA 109760
HDDC POSSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in