My 2006 business van was stolen this morning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

My 2006 business van was stolen this morning

I got up and looked out front and no van. Had to report it stolen. If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. I'll just have to use my wagon for the time being. Business has been so slow that I can get by with it for a while.

Inside the van was my bicycle, gps, sat. rad., digital camera, handtruck, coats and hats, plus some business inventory in a small box.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Old Dawg

Re: My 2006 business van was stolen this morning

Damn Roger, that really sucks. Do you have a self distruct button you can press and blow the bastards up?

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Blow the bastards up? I wish Scotty.

Update: About an hour ago I got a call from the state police. He said that they found the van and arrested somebody. He also said that unfortunately the front end was damaged. The perp crashed into a pole at a parking structure at Walnut Ave. Apartments when he was caught.

I just got back from where it was towed at College Oak Towing on Winters Ave. The front is demolished along with the windshield (pictures to follow). Thousands in damage for sure. Inside was most of my stuff still plus a nitestand that I've never seen before. Also he left his cell phone and an unopened Russian cd that said English to Russian.

Even with all the damage, it started right up. Plus the airbag didn't go off. You'll wonder why when you see the picks.

Later

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Here are some pictures. I've had the van for 62 months, have 110k miles and it had never been in an accident.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #5 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 4:53 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Aw Roger, that really sucks! When he gets sent to prison find out where he is and we will get our LEO/CO folks to spread the word he's a child molester... That'll fix him...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #6 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Angry Re: My 2006 business van was stolen this morning

Prison, HA!
He's probably gonna sleep in his bed at home tonight (if he's not already out ripping someone else off).
Be sure to publish the police report when you get it.
There is Justice eventually, sometimes SHE needs alittle help.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #7 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 7:38 pm
BMW Guru

Oh that shit will BUFF right out!

J/K Roger. Hope you come out OK with an insurance fix or a check. I have a digital camera I'm not using anymore if you didn't get yours back.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Oh that shit will BUFF right out!

J/K Roger. Hope you come out OK with an insurance fix or a check. I have a digital camera I'm not using anymore if you didn't get yours back.
I have $1k deductable. It will be $3-5k probably.

Funny you should offer your camera. The first digital camera I owned I bought from you in early '06. I had it for my trip back to ME where I was using it in my left hand while riding my LT and it dropped on the road. I went up the road a little bit to find a place to turn around and go back and get it when a dually pickup passed me and ended up crushing it. Then I bought my current one for my new Russian friend to use.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #9 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 8:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That sucks but at least you got it back.

My ex-brother-in-law had his car stolen in Detroit (I know what are the chances of that happening!) some years ago and a few weeks later saw a couple of guys driving it on the freeway. They later got arrested for breaking and entering and were using the car for their escapades. My ex-brother-in-law had to go to court and say that he had not 'loaned' his car to these guys.
The car was trashed but by then the insurance company had paid off on it so it didn't matter. Still it had been a really nice clean Camaro. Sad.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy11
That sucks but at least you got it back.

My ex-brother-in-law had his car stolen in Detroit (I know what are the chances of that happening!) some years ago and a few weeks later saw a couple of guys driving it on the freeway. They later got arrested for breaking and entering and were using the car for their escapades. My ex-brother-in-law had to go to court and say that he had not 'loaned' his car to these guys.
The car was trashed but by then the insurance company had paid off on it so it didn't matter. Still it had been a really nice clean Camaro. Sad.
This was not the first time I had a car stolen. The first time was in high school. I had a Mercury 4-door that my dad required me to have as a first car. Lots of metal. Well, during school one day, someone stole it. I got a call a few days later and it was found stuck in the middle of a field. Not damaged much just dirty. Seems they wanted my car to tow a brand new stolen Camaro from a local dealer.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #11 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Roger glad you have it back..How did they in...fire it up??

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2011, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Roger glad you have it back..How did they in...fire it up??
I was hoping no one would ask me. I left the key inside. I got home late and had groceries. I went out to the van twice. The second time I had both hands full with plastic handles and just closed the sliding door with my shoulder. I had every intention to lock the door from the front kitchen window but I turned on tv first. It was 8:02 and I was missing House. I put all the groceries away and then just sat down in front of the tv.

Then next time I thought about securing the van and locking the doors remotely was at 8:30 in the morning when I looked out front and didn't see the van sitting there. In the next few seconds, I knew immediatly what I had done. A cold shiver went up my spine as I thought of how easy I had made it for someone.

I know, I know.....don't do that.

Dam House.

I'm my own worst enemy sometimes

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #13 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 10:28 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
It was 8:02 and I was missing House. I put all the groceries away and then just sat down in front of the tv.

Dam House.
Now there is a strong case for owning a DVR

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:00 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
Now there is a strong case for owning a DVR
DVR has changed my life

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #15 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
DVR has changed my life
My family hasn't watched live TV in years. All 4 TVs have a DVR on them. One question: What's these things called "commercials" I keep hearing about?

- Joe
post #16 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
My family hasn't watched live TV in years. All 4 TVs have a DVR on them. One question: What's these things called "commercials" I keep hearing about?

"Commercials"
Definition;
Those blurred images between all the programs I should not be watching.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #17 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Hearing? Keyword, dat. You'll know, without looking, when a commercial blares up on the TV. That 'feature' wears out a remote's volume button faster'n you can say 'buy one, get two'!!!
post #18 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I was hoping no one would ask me. I left the key inside.
Careful there... The perp may get away with stealing your car with just a joyride charge...
Also be sure to document your loss (deductible, missing items, etc...) as you can claim them as a write-off on your 2011 tax return.
Glad you got your van back though...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #19 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Gilles, will do. I can actually use the write-off more than you know.

As for the rest of you tv aficionado's, I have rabbit ears with 13 channels. Mostly all HD for free on our 57 inch screen. With Netflix ($8 a month) and sometimes Red Box, I'm not suffering too bad. But I do miss having DVR.

The last places I've lived, I had the hundreds of channels with premiums and select sports packages too. I really only watched about 20 channels anyway and recorded just a few things. I remember those days of not watching commercials. I liked that the most.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #20 of 20 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Update:

I just got a call from the arresting officer. He just wanted to follow up with me and confirm a couple things. I called it in at 8:30 and later got a call from his office at about 12:00. I told him that I was impressed with the quick recovery. Then he proceeded to tell me that he actally got the guy 39 minutes after I reported it. He thinks it might be a record. He seemed pretty pleased with himself as he should be. He told me the guy tried to get away after he hit his lights. He had to get up close to the van to see if the numbers matched first. Then the guy panicked and hit a pole in an apartment complex. The car thief was on probation. That's why he tried to run. The officer said that he had so much on this guy that he'll be in jail for a long time now. The officer got a nice arrest and I thanked him for the "ultra" quick recovery.

I went back to the van today to get a better look and get the rest of my stuff. It appears just cosmetic. The bumper and grill did a great job protecting the radiator. Like I said yesterday, it started right up and sounded normal.

I also told the officer that the felon left his phone, a nitestand, a garden hose and a Russian dvd. The officer thought that was funny cause the guy wasn't Russian.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in