LT with a ComSystem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 10:15 am Thread Starter

LT with a ComSystem

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem getting my cell phone to work with the ComSystem that was manufactured by J&M and sold by BMW for LTs from about 2002-2005. There is a 2.5mm jack on the face of the unit just for this purpose.

To make a long story short, I need to find someone who has a working system so I can plug in my helmet and phone to compare performance. This will take about 10 minutes at the most. I'll ride to wherever you are OR we could meet at this week's HDDC at a venue TBD.

Is there anyone on the forum that still has a working system and uses their cell phone with it?

TIA

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:23 am

Re: LT with a ComSystem

I did... in the past... It was a Motorola V551 cell... worked like a charm... HOWEVER... that does not mean all cell phones will work with this COMM system. Since my V551, I have not be able to get any other data type device to work. Raz'r... nope. Motorola Windows based data phone? Naw... not even a whimper. I currently run a Galaxy S and there is no chance in hell it will work...

Unless you have a no frills phone, and I mean a real no frills older version cell phone (and for awhile I switched my SIM card from my main phone to the V551), do not expect it to function with the COMM system on the LT. iPhone? Don't even try.

just my $.02...

and...

just sayin...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #3 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:43 am

i have had several phones working with the system , i t is pretty full proof but i currently have a problem with cable input on the comm system. i have not fixed that but have gone to a blue tooth headset. you may want to confirm that the cable and the input on the comm system are ok.

PAUL HERMAN
TROPHY CLUB TX
WORK 817-491-2800
CELL 817-403-3648

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

So here's the deal, I'm trying to troubleshoot my ComSystem cell phone connection. It's worked in the past but it's been a couple of years since I've used it. Today it actually works BUTT I have to yell into the mic for the person on the other end to hear me. I need to determine if the cause is the cord connecting the phone to the ComSystem or if it's the ComSystem. I've eliminated the mic since people can hear me very well over GMRS and rider to passenger.

Unless someone has a better idea I think the easiest way to verify if it's the ComSystem is to plug the my cord into someone elses working ComSystem. If I still have to yell then it's the cord. If I can be heard without yelling then it's my ComSystem.

Isn't there anyone in NorCal with a working ComSystem?

BTW: My droid works (except for the yelling) and J&M makes a cord for the iPhone so I know that smart phones can work. Getting all of the functionality (voice commands, having the phone ring in the headset, etc.) has always been problematic for me but I'm not expecting that to work.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:49 pm

I have a comsystem in 2003 LT. I have had two phones that work with it. One was a Razor, and my current phone is a LG. Never had a problem with either, except the phone never rings, since I set it to Auto Answer. Radio just cuts out, and incoming call is there. I'm not sure that you want to drive here to try mine out, since I live in Illinois. You may have to wait until all this ugly snow melts.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
So here's the deal, I'm trying to troubleshoot my ComSystem cell phone connection. It's worked in the past but it's been a couple of years since I've used it. Today it actually works BUTT I have to yell into the mic for the person on the other end to hear me. I need to determine if the cause is the cord connecting the phone to the ComSystem or if it's the ComSystem. I've eliminated the mic since people can hear me very well over GMRS and rider to passenger.

Unless someone has a better idea I think the easiest way to verify if it's the ComSystem is to plug the my cord into someone elses working ComSystem. If I still have to yell then it's the cord. If I can be heard without yelling then it's my ComSystem.

Isn't there anyone in NorCal with a working ComSystem?

BTW: My droid works (except for the yelling) and J&M makes a cord for the iPhone so I know that smart phones can work. Getting all of the functionality (voice commands, having the phone ring in the headset, etc.) has always been problematic for me but I'm not expecting that to work.

Cheers!
I have the J&M BC3 in my 02. I believe it's what you're looking for if you haven't cracked the code yet. 05s and later went to the VOICE II.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2011, 12:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks for reaching out Bob. I'll PM you later with questions and logistics.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in