Redmond Rally - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Question Redmond Rally

Anyone form this group going to Redmond other then Dan Nathan and I ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:45 am

Re: Redmond Rally

I've got about 40 of us from the RCB going with at least 25 of them camping and I know several of them are bmwlt members. Look for our RCB banner in the campground. See you there Bob.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Leaving tomorrow.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred
I've got about 40 of us from the RCB going with at least 25 of them camping and I know several of them are bmwlt members. Look for our RCB banner in the campground. See you there Bob.
That large of a group? What will the neighbors think....

I assume breaking into Fast, spirited, leisurely and slow groups right?

See you Wednesday AM!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 3:43 pm

The ride I am "leading" on Wednesday is a go at your own pace ride, no pre-planned stops or waiting up for slower riders. Since there are only two turnoffs to negotiate (97 off I-5 and airport road off 97) It's difficult to lose your way. I don't think it's going to be a big group leaving with us Wednesday any way.

Fred Jewell
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

post #6 of 19 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Anyone form this group going to Redmond other then Dan Nathan and I ?
I'm trying to put some camping gear together. I have a sleeping bag and chair. Just need a small tent and air mattress (old bones). I'm going to check REI for tent rentals.

Are you guys leaving on Wed. or Thurs.?

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #7 of 19 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I'm trying to put some camping gear together. I have a sleeping bag and chair. Just need a small tent and air mattress (old bones). I'm going to check REI for tent rentals.

Are you guys leaving on Wed. or Thurs.?
Wdnesday....8AM 49'er truck stop...Although I think I'll be leaving earlier say 6-7 am

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Look who left for Redmond today.
Copied off Advrider
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...41699&page=424
Scroll down to post #6357
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, 06:51 AM #6357
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer
Oddometer: 2,537

Rolling for MOA rally in Oregon this morning. Anyone else going?

ORDER THE NEW BOOK HERE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 19 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Redmond Rally

Made it, no incidents.....grin.
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Made it, no incidents.....grin.
How about a report a few pics?
Was it worth the trip.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #11 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Redmond Rally

It was worth the trip Doug, made some cash for doing Clearwater installs, and got a new tent, and rode 36

[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...id=28190&stc=1[/img]

home which made for a 700 mile trip home.....grin. Had a great dinner with some of the northwet guys and gals, my chocolate melted from the Bend candy store, stuck the mess in the fridge and will cut it up later ;-}. Met some new guys from Alamo and Danville at the Hotel, had plenty of beers and Pizza with Ray Hazel and Andy from BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum).

Even had some EXR folks show up at the Clearwater install area and said HI...grin. (Missed you guys at the dinner at Bend Brewery)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA_36 sign.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	28190  

Last edited by brasters; Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:35 am.
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 4:35 pm

I just got home at noon today. I left the rally at about 10am Sunday and went to breakfast in Bend at the Black Bear Restaurant. Then went south a few miles on 97 to 31 and on to 395 and Susanville for the night. It was hot and I was tired so got a room at 5pm and slept from 6pm to 6am. Got up today and went south to 70/49/89/80 and home. No 36 for me.

I had a great time camping with Nathan and Dan. We were close to the grandstand and heard two bands each night right up 'till midnight. I also got to see Bob at the Clearwater installation booth too. There were many vendors and lots of ways to spend money. I hung around all day Saturday and went siteseeing and picture taking. Then at 6pm, went to the closing ceremonies. Here are some of the stats that I remember:

Total attendees...6106, Percentage of non BMW's at event...14%, Highest percentage of club attendees was the Expresso Riders....74%, Total money given to a local charity...$12,000....New BMW 800 given to woman from Bend...Notoriety and prizes went to man who hit 1.5million miles on BMW's....I'll try to think of some more stats with some pictures.

It was the biggest event I have attended. The venue was terrific at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds & Expo Center in Redmond. People were very mellow and friendly. Lots of smiles on faces. I met people from all over the US and beyond. Especially at the beer garden.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #13 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:24 am

Talking Re: Redmond Rally

Yep, we were there too! Got to enjoy a few beers (more than ten!) with Bob at the Bend Brewery! Tks for the contrribution to the beer fund Bob! Must be all that money you're making from the Clearwater folks! Or you're just a great guy! Either way, us Nor Westers appreciate the hospitality from a stand up Nor Cal guy! You made a few more friends up in this corner of the country buddy!

Roger, sorry we did not see you as well! I gues it had to do with the 6000 plus other attendees!

John!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:34 pm

Quote:
I just got home at noon today. I left the rally at about 10am Sunday and went to breakfast in Bend at the Black Bear Restaurant. Then went south a few miles on 97 to 31 and on to 395 and Susanville for the night.
Nate and I went home the same way, but cause we left around 1:30 Saturday we ended up rooming in Alturas for the night. After Alturas on Sunday we went down to Reno and over with a lunch stop in Truckee.

I got a ticket from the CHP in Sacramento 10 miles from home for a bonehead maneuver, passing on the shoulder on the Ea 80 to So 5 transition road. The left lane was blocked by emergency vehicles and the right lane was stopped, so I went around on the right. OOPS!

Quote:
I had a great time camping with Nathan and Dan. We were close to the grandstand and heard two bands each night right up 'till midnight. I also got to see Bob at the Clearwater installation booth too. There were many vendors and lots of ways to spend money.
I had a lot of fun too. Nice to see you and many of the RCB guys there. It was funny that you parked 10 feet from us before you knew we were there and then went looking for us.

There are a few pics from our trip and a couple from the rally at my blog. DANzGarage.net

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:41 am

Here are some pics of my experience in and around the Redmond rally......the last picture is of my packed bike being one of the last leaving tent city on Sunday morning.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 2:04 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Great pics Roger! Love that old truck photo.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #17 of 19 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 3:58 pm

During the closing ceremonies they were pulling tickets for the Edelweiss Package. The guy pulling the ticket asked who lives in Roseville, CA at zip 95678? Well, Jeanie and I do so they really had us sitting up in our chairs. Turned out to be, I believe, "Rand Johnson" who was not present so they went on to the next ticket. It's amazing how frequently the riders are not present and they pull another ticket. I think the Edelweiss trip got up to six tickets before hitting the winner. A guy from Alaska took home the prize!

Ten Beers: Got your text about the Bend Brewing but didn't know it was you. Only the number came across. I was getting texts from all sorts of folks up there especially those that attended our rally last May. We had an EXR "reunion" dinner planned that night so it just wasn't in the cards. It was great seeing you and experiencing your farkle passion first hand!

Actually about 85% of the EXR were on site for the rally but we didn't get all our MOA numbers in on time. I was a panel speaker for the MOA Chartered Club Leadership Summit on Wednesday. Met lots of nice folks and numerous club presidents in the process.

The rally was a great experience but also something of a hot madhouse at times. They say the rally in PA next year will probably be more than 10K riders. I thought 6K was plenty!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
During the closing ceremonies they were pulling tickets for the Edelweiss Package. The guy pulling the ticket asked who lives in Roseville, CA at zip 95678? Well, Jeanie and I do so they really had us sitting up in our chairs. Turned out to be, I believe, "Rand Johnson" who was not present so they went on to the next ticket. It's amazing how frequently the riders are not present and they pull another ticket. I think the Edelweiss trip got up to six tickets before hitting the winner. A guy from Alaska took home the prize!
Actually it was RCB member Rand Olson who was at his sister's house in Prineville, OR at the time of the drawing, and he told me, "I guess that was a pretty expensive dinner I had with her, but I'm no worse off than I was yesterday". I really dislike the practice of "must be present to win" policy, but I heard it was dictated by the donor, so I guess you can't complain about some one who donates such a valuable prize. Rand would have just whined about paying the taxes on the prize anyway.
Congratulations Bob and the EXR on your award for highest % of members attending. The RCB had around 70 total there, not quite enough for an award for most attending, but close. RCB director emeritus Rick Blake did win the award for the oldest rider there at 90, (my hero, he camped out with us) but they did misspell his name as Rick Black.
All in all I thought it was a good rally, save for the lack of showers, and I'm sorry I missed seeing some of you there.

Fred Jewell
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

post #19 of 19 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Nice pics Roger!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in