Moving, riding back to Norcal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old May 5th, 2010, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Moving, riding back to Norcal

My exhile in Maine is coming to an end. The Maine experiment is over. I miss CA too much as it has my son, business and friends (you) there. Not to mention the year round riding.

I'll be giving up this apartment here in a few weeks. I will store my stuff in the basement of the old family farmhouse. Mostly old collections, pictures, some furniture that I don't need out west. I can buy what I need when I get there. I'll be living with my son in his duplex where my bedroom is still set up with my queen bed. Then later look for a bigger house to rent.

I'll be riding my bike back to Sac taking about 5-7 days to get there. Maybe take a different route than boring 80. Then later I'll fly back out here to get my car and drive it to Sac.

I can't quite yet decide on any motorcycle trips for this summer starting in Sac. I know about the Red River Roundup, Doug's Alaska trip, CCR, etc. I really can't commit to anything right now. My office manager in my Carmichael business is pushing me to go to Alaska with Doug. I already feel like I live in a mini Alaska.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old May 5th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Thumbs up Re: Moving, riding back to Norcal

We look forward to seeing you back out West.
Listen to your office manager, you are welcome to tag along to Alaska.
Ride Safe

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #3 of 28 Old May 5th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Re: Moving, riding back to Norcal

Welcome back Roger! When you arrive you get to pick the HDDC dinner location. After all, you are the keeper of the list!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #4 of 28 Old May 5th, 2010, 4:58 pm

You know the days we'll be in Red River.
If those days just happen to be the days you're riding thru,, well then...

Congrats on getting to go "home"...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 28 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:25 pm
BMW Guru

Welcome back Roger!!! NorCal hasn't been the same without you

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 28 Old May 5th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Talking Re: Moving, riding back to Norcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Welcome back Roger!!! NorCal hasn't been the same without you
Nor Cal? Hell, the West Coast hasn't been the same without you Roger! Looking forward to another HDDC with you down the road!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #7 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 9:45 am

Welcome Back Roger

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #8 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the return welcome guys. Some have asked for a couple pics of recent Maine riding. I have put 2300 miles on my new RT in the last month around here. Trying to figure it out and to learn how to ride long days again. Here are a few:

I saw this creature the other day near Jackman

It turned my way and started coming closer

I was getting a little worried that it was confusing me with a mate so I left quickly with all my parts

An earlier stop along the Kennebec River

A couple more stops. Here's one with all my hard bags.

Camden

Left leaning in Belfast

The weather around here is hit or miss daily. Today it will rain with thunderstorms. Tomorrow nice. Next day rain. Next day rain. Next day nice. How is a person supposed to ride all the time with all this rain? Last summer here, it rained all June AND July. Wasn't 'till August that it cleared up. I can't wait to live where there is almost no rain.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #9 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 10:58 am

Roger, welcome back to civilization (where lane splitting is legal)!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Roger, welcome back to civilization (where lane splitting is legal)!!!
I have missed that a lot. I might even look for traffic when I get back there just so I can do that. I guess I won't have to look too far though huh?

Where I live now, there are only two stoplights in all of Piscataquis county. Both are a 1/4 of a mile away. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to skip to the front of the line. If I did that here, I'd be looked upon as a crazy person and reported to the local authorities probably.

Here's one of the lights:

http://www.centertheatre.org/dovercam/webcam.htm

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #11 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:23 pm

You are gonna hate the double cross-country trip. Not the first trip. The second trip is gonna make you forget about the first. Why don’t you just tow your bike back (one trip) and use the time you would have taken for the second trip for a local tour?

That way…when the FD goes out you’ll be much closer to home.

What!?
post #12 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:48 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
You are gonna hate the double cross-country trip. Not the first trip. The second trip is gonna make you forget about the first. Why don’t you just tow your bike back (one trip) and use the time you would have taken for the second trip for a local tour?

That way…when the FD goes out you’ll be much closer to home.

What!?
You're right...Long distance riding sucks, especially on an RT

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Roger: If you fly me there I'll ride it back for you.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #14 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 4:11 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred
Roger: If you fly me there I'll ride it back for you.
And I'll fly back and drive the VW with ya

ROAD TRIP!!!

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #15 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
And I'll fly back and drive the VW with ya

ROAD TRIP!!!
I'm not too sure when I'll come back to get the car to bring back my tv, tools, other can't live without stuff. I am sending back two large boxes with clothes, gear and personal effects. I have a work van I can use if I need a cage. Having someone fly out with me and drive back would be great. Fred and Ted, thanks for the offer.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #16 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Roger,
Welcome back, looking forward to seeing you again on one of these West Coast gatherings.

Dan

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #17 of 28 Old May 19th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Welcome back Roger. Look forward to seeing you again!

Mark C.
Lodi, CA
'01 R1100RT

"Not all who wander are lost"
post #18 of 28 Old May 20th, 2010, 12:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg209
Welcome back Roger. Look forward to seeing you again!
Hey Mark, if you ever get off of night shift come out to dinner with us!

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #19 of 28 Old May 20th, 2010, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I have missed that a lot. I might even look for traffic when I get back there just so I can do that. I guess I won't have to look too far though huh?

Where I live now, there are only two stoplights in all of Piscataquis county. Both are a 1/4 of a mile away. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to skip to the front of the line. If I did that here, I'd be looked upon as a crazy person and reported to the local authorities probably.

Here's one of the lights:

http://www.centertheatre.org/dovercam/webcam.htm
Looked at the Pic

so my question is:
Skip to the front of WHO! looks like sunday morning in west Texas where they have Blue laws. Nothing!, Nada ,Nobody home - na wait Everybodys Home!

Welcome Home .
post #20 of 28 Old May 24th, 2010, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

I have been packing up my apartment for weeks now plus storing and planning my trip back there. I will be leaving on Thursday. Should be back there by the 2nd or 3rd.

I'm not too sure of my route yet. I may go a more northern route than 80. Maybe fill in some of the states up north.* I'm definately going through Vermont. I plan on doing 400-550 mile days. Less if my ass tells me different. I can take my time and go with the flow this time. Last time I left Maine, I made a b-line to a 120 degree Phoenix and then on to Sac.

I have lots to tell you all about living in Maine. Especially my family. I think living here the last 1+1/2 years has put about 5 years on my life. I'll save for hddc fodder.

I put 3500 miles on the RT since April 1st just to get used to it (last bmw was june '07). I have been riding a couple times with my brother who bought my old vintage '78 goldwing. He loves it. Perfect fit for these parts. I see dozens of bikes a day go by my downtown window. Hundreds on the weekends. It seems everyone my age or older has a bike. I think it's mandatory. Others ride too of course. It's just a little bizaro world here sometimes. Probably 70% cruisers and the rest a mix. There was a hippie festival in Harmony last weekend that drew a few. I stayed home with a yard sale and more packing.

See you all in early June. Then I'll plan my next few months of riding when there. Plus I still have to come back here to get my car. My bro is letting me keep it in his garage. I have been thinking that I could fly back here the end of august to get it and rent a bike for a few days to go to and from Killington and then drive home then. Just a thought. I think I would just rent a cruiser locally. It's only 300 miles and under 6 hours from my house here.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #21 of 28 Old May 24th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Quote:
I have been packing up my apartment for weeks now plus storing and planning my trip back there. I will be leaving on Thursday. Should be back there by the 2nd or 3rd.

I'm not too sure of my route yet. I may go a more northern route than 80. Maybe fill in some of the states up north.* I'm definately going through Vermont. I plan on doing 400-550 mile days. Less if my ass tells me different. I can take my time and go with the flow this time. Last time I left Maine, I made a b-line to a 120 degree Phoenix and then on to Sac.

I have lots to tell you all about living in Maine. Especially my family. I think living here the last 1+1/2 years has put about 5 years on my life. I'll save for hddc fodder.

I put 3500 miles on the RT since April 1st just to get used to it (last bmw was june '07). I have been riding a couple times with my brother who bought my old vintage '78 goldwing. He loves it. Perfect fit for these parts. I see dozens of bikes a day go by my downtown window. Hundreds on the weekends. It seems everyone my age or older has a bike. I think it's mandatory. Others ride too of course. It's just a little bizaro world here sometimes. Probably 70% cruisers and the rest a mix. There was a hippie festival in Harmony last weekend that drew a few. I stayed home with a yard sale and more packing.

See you all in early June. Then I'll plan my next few months of riding when there. Plus I still have to come back here to get my car. My bro is letting me keep it in his garage. I have been thinking that I could fly back here the end of august to get it and rent a bike for a few days to go to and from Killington and then drive home then. Just a thought. I think I would just rent a cruiser locally. It's only 300 miles and under 6 hours from my house here.
HMM with a little map work you could cover all the N. states you havent been in Got a Passport? Through Ontario to MI to UP to WI up to MN and just a Jog and you have covered the others back into CO and home .

OR save them for a real trip But the UP and MI are not real destinations anyway ( Lived there most of my life.)

Ride safe dont have milage limits just ride till you'r tired Most that would cost is an extra Day or two.
post #22 of 28 Old May 24th, 2010, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
HMM with a little map work you could cover all the N. states you havent been in Got a Passport? Through Ontario to MI to UP to WI up to MN and just a Jog and you have covered the others back into CO and home .

OR save them for a real trip But the UP and MI are not real destinations anyway ( Lived there most of my life.)

Ride safe dont have milage limits just ride till you'r tired Most that would cost is an extra Day or two.
I do have a passport card. Good for Canada and Mexico. Cheaper than a passport.

I thought about your more northern route but I'm scared of Canadians.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #23 of 28 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Quote:
I do have a passport card. Good for Canada and Mexico. Cheaper than a passport.

I thought about your more northern route but I'm scared of Canadians.
Aw come on Canadians are easy Just remember to end each sentence with EH? OR EH!

and say something good about how Canada beat the US in Hockey.
post #24 of 28 Old May 31st, 2010, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Just a quick trip update...

I left Maine last Thursday. I went to Burlington, VT the first night. Then Erie, PA for Friday night. On Saturday night, I made it to Joliet, IL. The weather front was going to be right on I80 for Sunday so I went up north to La Cross, WI. Tonight I made it to Mitchell, SD.

I'm only 1500 miles from Sac now. Not sure what route I'll take. Depends on the weather a little. I've diverted enough to only hit about 15 minutes of rain total now. So I've been a little lucky there.

I made it to four of the states I hadn't been to yet. See the dots on my map.

See you all later.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #25 of 28 Old May 31st, 2010, 11:09 pm

Cool Roger Good to see you are on your way!

Ride Safe

Chuck
post #26 of 28 Old May 31st, 2010, 11:30 pm

Way to go Roger! Be safe!

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #27 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:45 am Thread Starter

My final trip report

A quick recap....Thursday night Burlington, VT (310mi)...Friday night Erie, PA (536mi)...Saturday night Joliet, IL (475mi)...Sunday night La Crosse, WI (315mi)...Monday night Mitchell, SD (365mi)...Tuesday night Keystone, SD (Mt. Rushmore) (310mi)...Wednesday night Rawlins, WY (380mi)...Thursday night Elko, NV (518mi)...Only 411 miles left...Total=3620 miles.

A direct I80 route would have been 3250 miles. I had to go north to I90 to divert around a couple days of rain. But ended up with super cells, wind and slow going for a few days. The last two days were in high winds. A steady 30-40 mph with gusts.

I'll be back late this afternoon. Tired of motel rooms. Can't wait to sleep in my own bed. The bike ran great. Did quite well on gas with over 45-47 mpg. But it did a few miles per gallon less in the high winds and higher highway speeds.

I saw hundreds if not a thousand elk in WY. Plus a herd of Buffalo. A couple deer ran across the highways during the daylight hours a couple times. There were at least two dozen dead deer on the sides of the road. I saw more motorcycles on Memerial Day Weekend than I've ever seen. My arm is tired of waving across the highways.

I think of all the 3600 miles I've been, there were only about 500 miles of fun roads. I can't wait to live and ride back in the norcal area. We are very lucky to live so close to the ocean and mountains.

See some of you next Wednesday night.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #28 of 28 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Have a safe final day riding in Roger, stay south there is rain to the North. Looking forward to having a brew with Ya.
Welcome back home!

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in