Patriot Guard Riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Patriot Guard Riders

On Monday 11-2, I took the opportunity to attend the military services for Kyle Coumis, an Army soldier from Lockeford, recently killed in Afghanistan. I went with PGR.

Although I have not followed them, it is my understanding that there have been discussions from time to time on this forum regarding PGR. The discussions have likely been mixed as to pro/con so I thought relate my experience.

The PGR provides flag corps and “security” against a-hole demonstrators at military funerals and homecomings. The PGR is very well organized and professional. They have a litany of rules and procedures, the most important of which is that the security function must be totally lawful and non-violent. The group participates only at the specific request of and in the fashion requested by the family. You don’t have to ride a specific type of bike, ride or even own a bike. Currently there are just over 180,000 PGR members nationwide. You need not be a Veteran or even a member to attend/participate in a "mission". The Road Captain provided a detailed briefing at the rally point.

The service (we did not go inside but rather stood outside with the flag line) was very emotional with a bag piper, gun salute and much formal military tradition. Lodi PD and CHP were there with multiple officers and motor officers all in dress blues.

All in all I feel it was a worthwhile expenditure of my time and plan to participate again in the unfortunate happening of another fallen soldier.

If you have interest, I encourage you to go to patriotguard.org. The schedule for missions throughout the country are displayed. The website is well organized and it is very easy to register.

Jim

Woodbridge, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 2:47 pm

Re: Patriot Guard Riders

Nice picture on front page of todays Lodi News Sentinel Jim.
Thanks for making the effort to honor a "Fallen Hero".
How many Guard members attended ?
Just saw the noon news and Hwy 88 thru Lockeford was lined with folks paying respects as procession passed thru.
IED's Suck.
RIP

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Actually I regret that my mug showed up in the paper from the standpoint that it is absolutely not why I attended. Conversely it is good that the media provides coverage of such happenings.

There were a total of nine riders. The weekday events tend to be light because of work related obligations although two riders from Sac specifically took time off work to attend.

I hope that this thread will generate more attendees. I really believe it is positive effort with little risk of wrong things happening.

Jim

Woodbridge, CA

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:32 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Here's a link to the local papers article. Scroll half way down and watch the slide show, Jim's mug will show up with the same photo as on the front page of the paper. Well done Jim!

http://www.lodinews.com/articles/200...mas_091103.txt

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #5 of 7 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:16 pm

I have been doing this now, unfortunately, for over 6 years. +++1 on the experience and it being a very worthwhile activity. I concur totally with your assessment of this group. I am usually the only bmw that shows up but I am always welcomed. It's the least we can do to show support for our troops and families. It is not political in any way. Just respectful.

Ultra LT
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:19 am

Congratulations to you two and all who have and will ride with the Patriot Guard Riders.

I am not sure I agree with your statement that its not political. But I think that above else is the "American" thing to do. In many ways, it reaches back to the founding principles of our nation. Patriot Guard Riders an organization that I really wish was not needed, but am very glad it is around and I hope that I will have a chance to be the "only BMW rider" some day, but work so far thinks otherwise.

Its a great thing you are doing. I am proud to see you on the forum, and glad you brought this up.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 9:09 pm

I, too, have been riding with the Patriot Guard Riders for the past 2 years here in Iowa. As a military retiree, I stand proudly holding the flag of our United States for all of our military heroes. I feel it is a great show of respect. I get plenty of ribbing about riding a BMW, but it is all in good fun, at least from most. Some hardcore thumper heads will knock anything that's not a Harley, but that's OK.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in