trip planning 101 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 5:56 am Thread Starter

trip planning 101

I am just getting into doing some touring and longer rides
(for me any way) and I am wondering how you went about selecting your routes and finding the roads and the points of interest along the way? How do you plan your time to see everything on your list and finish about on time?
As I start to plan for longer and longer rides I am finding that the planning process seems to be an art in and of its self.
I have been reading the ride reports here for several months and I am amazed at what can be packed into a two week trip.

How is this done???

thank you

Jadm
San Jose CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 8:11 am

Re: trip planning 101

Karen and I start by planning a route on 2-lanes
Then figure about 300 miles/day stopping in a place that sounds good.
Then look at 1/2 way through that day and find another place that's interesting for a lunch break.
OR................................
On our 11,000 mile ride this summer, we made up the next days route every evening.......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:15 am

Garage

I'd actually suggest getting with a group ride to see how/what occurs. leave the routing up to the group leader to get a sense of what is needed, what you like. barring that the above post is pretty acurate. don't plan on too much too soon, just enjoy the ride and time with the SO or others.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:49 am

I like Starfighter's approach of planning as you go. I don't want to be pressured into following a rigid schedule, and I find it hard to predict things like how I'll feel on a given day, how the weather will be, if I'll find interesting back roads to explore, if I'll be on a great road and feel like sailing right on by the town I'd planned to stop in and keep on riding, and so on.

There are so many variables that come into play that trying to control everything takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. Leaving things to unfold as they will, to the extent I can, makes for a lot more fun.. for me. YMMV. <g>

Think about what your goal is. It might be that you really want to see each of a list of places, or it might be that your goal can best be defined as "I want my wife and I to have a nice time riding." Probably it will be somewhere in between. I guess I'm suggesting that you plan your trip more with the nice ride in mind than the list of places you "have" to be.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:08 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADM
I am just getting into doing some touring and longer rides
(for me any way) and I am wondering how you went about selecting your routes and finding the roads and the points of interest along the way? How do you plan your time to see everything on your list and finish about on time?
As I start to plan for longer and longer rides I am finding that the planning process seems to be an art in and of its self.
I have been reading the ride reports here for several months and I am amazed at what can be packed into a two week trip.

How is this done???

thank you

Jadm
San Jose CA
Asking folks on this list is a great way to start. There is a huge wealth of knowledge around roads and rides for the entire country on this site. There are also a number of websites that can help as well. www.pashnit.com, for example, is famous for documenting pretty much every great motorcycling road in California; I still use this all the time. There are similar sites in a lot of other states as well, a couple of simple Google searches can turn these up. There are also website for Scenic Byways - http://www.byways.org/ - that can help as well.

Of course, there's always just getting out there and exploring. Point the bike in a direction and when you see a road that looks interesting, turn and ride down it. Even if it's not what you expected you saw something you've never seen before.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in