Travelin' on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 1:42 am Thread Starter

Travelin' on

Hello everyone, made Vancouver Island today. Heading up the island tomorrow.

Pics

More pics

SPOT Tracker

I have more pics. It's late, maybe post tomorrow.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Re: Travelin' on

Dan,
It was geat to run into you at the rally. Crazy weather wasn't it. Vancouver island is fantastic you'll enjoy it. Make sure to ride the north end of the island and of course the west side. Enjoy the ride and see at the next rally. Oh yeah, Nice pics!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Looks like you're near Telegraph Cove, was going to suggest you stop there (go all the way in and check out the vacation homes).

Good diner in Port Hardy ( do not remember the name), turn right as you come into town just before the Port Hardy Inn (can not miss it, a 3 story Hotel) and follow street downhill into town to a stop sign at the main drag. Diner is on your right across the intersection.

Might want to try and go to the "END" of the road in Holberg. Decent gravel road thru beautiful woods. They were installing culverts at about 10 miles in when I was there in May and they said I could go thru but then I would be trapped for 8 hours after they dug a ditch across the road so I turned around.

Be sure to visit Tofino, after you get thru all the developed town crap it's really a nice ride (both ways), seemed to be a combination of Sonora Pass and Big Sir (it is the Pacific Coast).

Here is the ferry schedule to cross from Victoria to Port Angles, if that is the way you are headed home. http://cohoferry.com/main/?Fares

Thanks for the pics.
Have a safe trip.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Dan, that spot tracker is pretty cool - your wife knows where to find you! Got any chores you need Doug to do for you while you're gone?

Ride safe, and have fun.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Dan,
It was geat to run into you at the rally. Crazy weather wasn't it. Vancouver island is fantastic you'll enjoy it. Make sure to ride the north end of the island and of course the west side. Enjoy the ride and see at the next rally. Oh yeah, Nice pics!
It was a surprise to be sure. That rally wasn't all that, oh well. Maybe see you again next year in Cambria.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Hello Everyone who is following the trip.

I was camped at the Alder Bay Resort for two nights. No WIFI so no posts.

I left there this AM. I arrived in Victoria a while ago and it is 98 again. After two days camping and a 7 hour ride I opted for A/C and a bed, credit card camping at it's best.

The ride (Monday) from Nanaimo up to Alder Bay, which is near Telegraph Cove, and maybe 60 klicks south of Port Hardy was pretty warm also. I stopped in Courtney for breakfast. I don't think they know what over medium is:

After a 4-5 hour ride I turned down the road to the resort and found a cool breeze and a great view. Here is my Campsite:

I met some local guys along the road and they rode along with me for a while up 19. Really nice people. One was on this vintage Vincent, one I have never seen before, a thumper:

And Ron:

They told me about a spectacular 100 mile plus dirt road that goes from Woos to Gold River, and I was tempted to take it on the way back. But common sense (fear) overruled and I didn't want to end up lost, or bear bait. Chitown would have done it, he is fearless.

I finally got to do some camping where it wasn't scorching hot, and it finally did not rain on the tent.

I met Gordon and Mary Anne from Comox camping neighbors. They shared some freshly caught halibut with me so I was rescued from dehydrated camp food once again.

Then a spectacular sunset, and to bed. The next day included a ride to Port Hardy and a whale watching trip. I will make another post as soon as I sort out the pics.

The F800GS continues to perform admirably.

Here are the rest of the pics from this batch.

My SPOT tracker, see the route.

Cross posted on the F800 Forum

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Dan,
Do not come south if you do not have to. It is 104 degrees here in Seattle today and traffic jams everywhere.Stay near the coast my friend.....

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Dan,
Do not come south if you do not have to. It is 104 degrees here in Seattle today and traffic jams everywhere.Stay near the coast my friend.....
It is no better in Victoria.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Port Grumpy and Orcas

Port Hardy is the northern most town on Vancouver Island. Seeing as I was nearly there I had to visit it, just to say I went. I got up early on Tuesday and decided to visit as I had the whale watching tour booked for later.

Here is how the bay looked early in the morning:

I have found Canadians universally friendly, except at Port Hardy, where they were not. For that reason, I have nicknamed it Port Grumpy. I understand there is no work there and it is a tough life.

Breakfast was good though. Captain Grumpy's is where you will hear about what happened in town yesterday.

On the way back I went to Telegraph Cove, a very quaint little resort just down the road from where I was camping.

And then to see the whales, Orcas. I am told they live there, they are not migratory. We went on Sea Smoke whale watching, a sailboat with fewer people, so not as commercial as the bigger tours. They baked fresh muffins and scones and served them with strong coffee and tea.

Ship's Captain:

We saw numerous whales. Here are a few pics and below is a link to the gallery. I shot high speed drive mode so there are numerous seemingly duplicates, and I have not deleted them yet so link over and check them out. There are some eagles too.

See more pics of whales.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 1:00 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Nice trip report, Dan!

If you're in Port Townsend at dinner time, I recommend The Public House at 1038 Water St.
http://www.thepublichouse.com/

and for a traditional breakfast Bayview Restaurant, 1539 Water St.

If you just want pastry and coffee or tea, or even the best french toast in the world, visit Sweet Laurette Cafe at 1029 Lawrence St.

And for really good ice cream visit Elevated Ice Cream at 631 Water St,

If you're interested, the local county airport has a pretty cool airplane museum that you will pass by on the way out of town, on the right.

Have fun!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #11 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 2:08 am

Excellent pics Dan. Brings back loads of good memories. I used to take the boat up that way every year before I found motorcycles again. The area north of port hardy is spectacular for sea life. If your southbound take the ferry to Port Townsend and the head west out to the coast. hwy 101 down will be much cooler.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks Brian and Hal.

I am heading out tomorrow AM, taking the ferry to Port Angeles, then southbound along the coast.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:52 am

Dan

Really great pics ! I loved it up there I went on a week long Kayak trip to see the wales right out of Port Hardy we used a large boat to take us down channal about 10-15 miles before we set out .

Only saw one pod of wales ( kayaks are slow) but it was kind of spooky the large male came over to investigate and I could have touched him as he swam under my boat.

They look really big when your only 2 feet out of the water and in a 19 foot piece of plastic sausage.

Great trip report thanks for sharing.

Chuck
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Dan

Really great pics ! I loved it up there I went on a week long Kayak trip to see the wales right out of Port Hardy we used a large boat to take us down channal about 10-15 miles before we set out .

Only saw one pod of wales ( kayaks are slow) but it was kind of spooky the large male came over to investigate and I could have touched him as he swam under my boat.

They look really big when your only 2 feet out of the water and in a 19 foot piece of plastic sausage.

Great trip report thanks for sharing.

Chuck
That sounds great! I would have liked to try that. I hope they can tell a kayak from a seal or you'd end up as dinner.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 6:02 pm

SWEET!

2009 R1200GSA
2002 K1200 LT
1978 Shovelhead Chop
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

If you've ever gone horseback riding on an old stable horse you might remember that the horse is slow going out but when you point it back towards the barn, look out. I'll get to that, but first few pictures. I messed up and forgot to take pics in Victoria, so here are some from the Ferry on the way out. I had to take the 6:10 AM and had to be there an hour early [!] for immigration. Customs is at Port Angeles and they waved me through after a few cursory questions.

Bike strapped down (brought my own straps)

Well this old stable horse is pretty much the same. It wasn't too bad when I got off the Ferry at Port Angeles, I did go out to Neah Bay and Cape Flattery.

Cape Flattery is the north western most point in the continental US. You have to hike down a trail to get to the end. It isn't the hiking down so much, as the hiking back UP.

Neah Bay

So I finally get back on 101 South heading for Aberdeen WA and they are chip sealing the road in many places, so I am stuck in long que's waiting. Some guy stopped behind me told me about a way around the last stretch and I end up at Ocean Beaches in WA at this cheapo camp grounds. No Wifi, No cell service, no store, but at least a place to camp for cheap.

I wake up the next AM to a heavy mist, light drizzle, OK RAIN GO*AMMIT... [lol] I put up the tent wet and hit the road.

I was supposed to head to Portland and this is where the old stable horse sets in. I am making terrible time as it is 95 in Portland, Saturday, and I think the whole State has headed for the coast, so I bag it, tell my friends, I gotta go home and continue on my way south. One small town and slow speed zone and traffic jam after another, very frustrating. I think I was lucky to get 200 miles in over 7 hours.

Tillamook OR

By the end of the day I am exhausted, and there are no campground vacancies. Finally I found a campsite on a nice inlet (at Walport I Think). I think I am getting smarter, (if not younger) cause I bought some food to cook for when ever I finally got a place to land. Again no wifi, but some friendly neighbors.

THis guy Don was born in 1928 and used to ride Vincent Motorcycles. He told some good stories.

This morning I broke camp and was on the road by 8:30. By now I am passing photo ops, I have made the decision to go home, and was determined to push some distance. I did stop for this herd of Elk but they were too low in the bush for a good shot (camera not rifle [}]).

I crossed the state line into California, and I was happy! 4 lanes, 70 MPH. Oregon, I love you, you are beautiful, but it is too slow if you are trying to get somewhere.

So I am in Eureka CA, at the Travelodge, the shower was great, and I have 300 miles to go. I expect to get home tommorow. [:P]

The bike has been nearly perfect. It felt a little weird yesterday so I stopped at a tire store and found my pressure had dropped a couple of lbs. Aired up and good to go. The front TKC is nearly shot and I never needed it anyway, I could have run a street tire.

When I lost my tool bag and chain lube I bought Castrol chain lube at Walmart. It is crap. It flies off everywhere even if I put it on the night before. I had it seeping down onto the exhaust and I smelled burning oil. At one point I thought the seal around the front sprocket was going, but eventually it stopped. I must have used too much, but I've never had the problem with PJ-1 Blue.

So that's it for now. I am southbound and down ([uhoh]) first thing in the morning.

More Pics Here.

SPOT TRACK

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:13 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Nice ride report, welcome back Dan

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #18 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
Nice ride report, welcome back Dan
Thanks! I should be able to make Wed's dinner.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

I'm home. Rolled in at 2:29 PM, started today at 7:20 AM, 295.6 miles.

Total trip miles 3,173.3 over 14 days.

I've seen a lot of interesting places, met a lot of interesting people, rode the crap out of my bike, and had a great time.

The F800GS is a fine touring/adventure bike.

It feels good to be home.

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in