Seeking 3/4 July Route advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Seeking 3/4 July Route advice

I'm looking for the best route from Ventura to Carmel on 3 July; we'll be leaving early in the morning on 3 July. I'd like the twisty stuff and my wife is more inclined to get to Carmel a little quicker to enjoy the town. I know, it will be race weekend at Laguna, but I'm not sure that will be on the agenda. Given that we are prepared to leave early, maybe 0700 or earlier from Ventura, what is the best route/combination of roads to reach Carmel, that would include great views/twisty roads and reaching Carmel in relatively good time? I'm not sure what the traffic will be like, other than heavy as the day progresses. On 4 July, we'll be leaving Carmel for Mill Valley, where we'll use that as a base for a week, before making our way back to Manhattan. Any tips/advice for the Ventura-Carmel and Carmel-Mill Valley route would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Re: Seeking 3/4 July Route advice

If I was riding that route, I'd take CA 33 north out of Ventura to CA 166, turn left on 166 over to 101. 166 is a great road that follows the river up to Santa Maria.

I'd then head north on 101 to Greenfield where I'd turn west up Carmel Valley Rd into Carmel.

Hwy 33 and Carmel Valley Rd are both great roads with lots of twisties. 166 is a fast road with wide curves like most roads that follow rivers.

I show that route as 5 hours and 306 miles (no stops figured in).

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 28th, 2009, 8:44 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Thanks for the advice. Would it be best to avoid Highway 1? I thought that would be the twisty route? I'll check out the route recommended on the map. It's hot and humid here today in Manhattan, we're really looking forward to no humidity and hopefully cool weather, at least during the morning hours.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 8:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

It was 110 in Sacramento yesterday, and will be 106 today. The entire inland valley will prolly be scorchin over the 4th, so the coast is KING!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG
Thanks for the advice. Would it be best to avoid Highway 1? I thought that would be the twisty route? I'll check out the route recommended on the map. It's hot and humid here today in Manhattan, we're really looking forward to no humidity and hopefully cool weather, at least during the morning hours.
Scott
It wouldn't necessarily be best to avoid Hwy 1, these are just, in my opinion, better M/C roads with more interesting terrain. Hwy 1 is a great road, but it's all ocean coastline and you'll see plenty of that outside of Mill Valley.

By the way, while in Mill Valley, you need to ride Hwy 116 down the Russian River stopping at Cape Fear Cafe in Duncans Mills for brunch. It's fantastic. Hwy 116 comes out at the coast near Jenner and is a great ride in either direction, north or south.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Don't avoid Highway 1! You will miss a great ride. I've done the race weekend trip up there every year. Plenty of riders but not bad at all. From Ventura I would say you're there in about 4 hours with breaks included. Stop in Cambria for the BBQ right next to the Shell gas station off HWY1. Mmmm.....
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
Don't avoid Highway 1! You will miss a great ride. I've done the race weekend trip up there every year. Plenty of riders but not bad at all. From Ventura I would say you're there in about 4 hours with breaks included. Stop in Cambria for the BBQ right next to the Shell gas station off HWY1. Mmmm.....
And if you go that way, and have the time, a tour of Hearst Castle is interesting if you've never been.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 4:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapod2t
It wouldn't necessarily be best to avoid Hwy 1, these are just, in my opinion, better M/C roads with more interesting terrain. Hwy 1 is a great road, but it's all ocean coastline and you'll see plenty of that outside of Mill Valley.

By the way, while in Mill Valley, you need to ride Hwy 116 down the Russian River stopping at Cape Fear Cafe in Duncans Mills for brunch. It's fantastic. Hwy 116 comes out at the coast near Jenner and is a great ride in either direction, north or south.
No argument there. But if it's hot, the coast is cooler!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:16 pm Thread Starter
SEG

If it's just 4 hours or so from Ventura to Carmel via Hwy 1, we'll take that route. Living in Manhattan, we' surrounded by water, but we don't see it that often and it's nothing like the west coast coastline. I don't think we'd ever tire of seeing that scenery. And what we hope will be cool weather will be a big plus. It's hot and muggy here. If the traffic is not likely to be too choked up early in the morning, maybe getting out of Ventura a little before 0700, we'll take that Hwy 1 route. I'll check out the 116 route once we using Mill Valley as a base for touring. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in