An Old Rumble In The Force - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:23 am Thread Starter

An Old Rumble In The Force

A 1978 Goldwing GL1000 w/fairing and hard bags....just paid $1200. for it.....a motorcycle mechanic friend had owned it for years and sold it to a guy near 70yo that can't ride any more who is now selling it to me. It has 62k miles and looks pretty good. I'll pick it up Friday after it gets all checked out. It has a big old honking cassette deck just under the shield but at least I can hook up my satrad or ipod easily now with the cassette adapter. I bought a new jacket and extra helmet yesterday and my motorcycle mechanic friend can order me a heated jacket liner for cost. What a guy.

I'll take pics later. I've already bought a ME/NH/VT motorycle tour map. I plan on staying a little close to central Maine for awhile untill I get comfortable with it. I see many bikes out now as the roads are clear and the sun has melted most of the snow. It's been in the forties many days lately. Although we can still get much more snow, the main roads get dry pretty quickly as the sun stays out longer.

I'm still working on getting a business started here. A cabin and a garage/workspace with rental unit above. Planning on renting atv's, sleds and maybe motorcycles later. I've talked to a rep at the Harley dealer and he may be looking for a satellite location for rentals where all paperwork is done on the internet and I would just hand out keys and check in bikes when they are returned. My mechanic friend of the family wants to set up a satellite shop himself and take care of all my rental servicing. He's an expert atv, sled and motorcycle mechanic. I originally thought of just having rentals for guests only but he thinks we can rent to anyone that CAN rent and could have 40-60 different things in our fleet sooner than I would want. Insurance and liability is a big concern but I've found out a lot talking to the Harley rep.

I already know lot's of atv'ing trails around here. But as I put 1400 miles on my sled in about 6 weeks, I've learned that the available trails are about 10 times that of atv'ing. Now with the bike, I can now think about touring the state and coming up with a route to go to a couple Canadian provinces, NH, VT and perhaps MA, CT and RI too, all in a couple days route.

I had always thought of making cabins that are motorcycle friendly but not until I came here for a winter did I realize that snowmobiling is really huge here in central ME. Along with atving there is fall colors, hunting season and the holidays. There just isn't enough cabin rentals around the Dover/Dexter area. Everyone thinks the business plan is sound.

Anyways, I'M BACK BABY. I'm still looking for another bike too but not as old.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:51 am
BMW Guru

Re: An Old Rumble In The Force

We need pics

Congrats Rog, I new you couldn't stay off two wheels.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #3 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Awesome! Congrats on the bike, and welcome back to the dark side!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 1:06 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Welcome back Roger, well done!!!

Now you have no excuse for attending an HDDC dinner...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #5 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Roger............
That's really a good score.............so, what was the question again.........?

Just put your pututy in the saddle and ride it like ya' stole it..................
post #6 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

OK, keep in mind it's not cleaned up yet. After looking it over, I couldn't find any places that looked damaged due to dropping it. The seat looks recently done and is in excellent shape. Tires are good too. Guess it's been cared for and ridden. We'll see. Don't care. I can still use it as decor on my lawn. Better than a pink flamingo.

Look at all the lights.Guess he liked to be seen and not heard. I might have to do something about this airport look.

Some '78 crome too. I can't wait to clean it up. A 31 year old Vintage Wing. Whooda thought.

I'm happy with the cassette and radio w/ 2 speakers.

And there she is, in all it's dusty garaged beauty.

I will probably take off the hard bags, trunk and fairing at some point as I like the naked look too. I've been reading much the last couple days on the Honda forums about the early GL1000's. Lot's about this bike. And old reviews too.

I'll take more pictures this weekend. I have a luncheon planned near Calais on Saturday.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #7 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Oh yeah. I noticed several Goldwing rides this spring and summer around New England. Will they let me in with this bike? Do I need a stuffed animal? Am I too old for this group?

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #8 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
You may want to throw a Reflector or two on the rear of that thing
Just what I was thinking. What was the point? To scare people into thinking it's a low flying ufo maybe?:

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #9 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Nice Bike Roger

Now that Doug will have someone to ride with out there I would expect him .

Chuck
post #10 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Wink Re: An Old Rumble In The Force

Great deal Roger! And some of us can remember those famous Vetter bags and fairing. Had them on my Yamaha XS-1100 way back when. Welcome back to the land of two wheels!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
... Do I need a stuffed animal? ...
I think it's stuffed animal OR satin jacket. You might want to check.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #12 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Nice Bike Roger

Now that Doug will have someone to ride with out there I would expect him .

Chuck
Exactly what I was thinking. I have specific routes in mind for the likes of Doug. He'd better get his iron derriere out here by at least the start of the next decade.

AF...Vetter bags? Cool. I'm very retro you know. And it's been 21 months since my last motorcycle departure. I'm thinking it might be fun again. As long as I, you know, PAY ATTENTION. It's about damn time I rode again, if I say so myself.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #13 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
I think it's stuffed animal OR satin jacket. You might want to check.
Satin jacket.

Speaking of satin jacket, I stoped in the Yamaha dealer where all their new motorcycle gear was out. Then I went to the clearance rack and found one 2xl Power-Trip transition jacket which was half off the original $314.95. They went to First Gear I think and gave up on this line. It is part leather with armor and lined with zip off waterproofing and mesh underneath. A 3 in 1 jacket for $157. thankyouverymuch.

I already brought some gear with me on my November trip. Two pair of cycle boots, helmet and gloves. I have a wardrobe box filled with jackets and riding pants left at my business in Carmichael. Never can have too many jackets though. Am I right?

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

Last edited by RMoore007; Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:10 pm.
post #14 of 29 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Satin jacket.
Never can have to many jackets though. Am I right?
Yep, just like having too much money or sex...

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #15 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 9:01 am

Quote:
Just what I was thinking. What was the point? To scare people into thinking it's a low flying ufo maybe?:
Roger - Ya can't have too much reflection! Take it from one who knows...

Congrats on the new ride. You're never too old.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #16 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
Roger - Ya can't have too much reflection! Take it from one who knows...

Congrats on the new ride. You're never too old.

Cheers!
Point taken. I know. Maybe they'll work just fine.

And just like Doug, I don't see any New England in red yet in your map below.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #17 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:39 am

Smile Re: An Old Rumble In The Force

Congratulations Roger, I knew you couldn't stay away for long, hope to see you up there...grin.
post #18 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Quote:
I will probably take off the hard bags, trunk and fairing at some point as I like the naked look too. I've been reading much the last couple days on the Honda forums about the early GL1000's. Lot's about this bike. And old reviews too.
When the fairing goes on, the original headlight bucket needs to come off. Its not the same bucket as is used on the fairing. Also, sometimes the headlight mounting ears get taken off, as well as the turn signals. These pieces are not needed, and get in the way of the fairing.

Was it in running condition? I have one that I don't ride any more, and would like to clean out space in the garage. Have a couple of extra fairings, additional hard bags and a few of the battery and tank panels. Any suggestion on where I might sell it?

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #19 of 29 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Congrats Roger.

I knew you would be back.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #20 of 29 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

I've finally had the GL1000 out the last couple of days. It's been fun getting back on two wheels. I've taken the three Vetter storage boxes off and soon the front fairing. Plus I have to take off the framing for the rear boxes also. Just too old and rickety and outdated for my tastes. I really like the look of the naked Goldwing. I just ordered a new windscreen and my friend has a new headlight that will work. Here's a couple pics.

The seat is very comfortable. I don't know who made it. Here's a picture of the rear with a patch.

It rides quite ok for an old bike. The seating position is perfect for me. I rarely get it out of third around here. Maybe fourth gear once or twice over 55mph. I'm in first and second most of the time. The roads around here right now are a work of art. Sometimes like riding off road, on the road. So staying on the main roads is the best for now.

I should be able to keep up with the cruiser's out here. I ccould NEVER keep up with the LT crowd.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #21 of 29 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 4:05 pm

I'm not sure but that might be an old Corbin Gunfighter seat.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #22 of 29 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 4:17 pm

John, you beat me to it, that is a Corbin Gunfighter. That was my favorite seat, except I liked the solo style.

Way to go Roger! My buddy in London has a 1976 stripped down, there is a big following on the early Wings over there.

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #23 of 29 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Brings back memories, I had a 77 Wing that I aquired in 84 and rode till 91.
Bates bags and Vetter fairing also.
Never let me down and you gotta love that 8 track tape player.
Take it easy and enjoy.
Looking forward to riding with you on a route that will let me fill in the last states on my map.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #24 of 29 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Brings back memories, I had a 77 Wing that I aquired in 84 and rode till 91.
Bates bags and Vetter fairing also.
Never let me down and you gotta love that 8 track tape player.
Take it easy and enjoy.
Looking forward to riding with you on a route that will let me fill in the last states on my map.
I will have another bike by then. This will be fine for now. Just exploring roads around Maine. That 77 Wing you had was WAY out of date. My 78 has a cassette. We'll get to all the states around here and a couple provinces too, if you're willing and able.

Thanks HalJohn, I found the Corbin Gunfighter series of saddles and their specifications. Cool. No wonder I like it.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #25 of 29 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Roger

That Wing looks Much better now that you dusted it off and put some miles on it.

Nice Bike

Chuck
post #26 of 29 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Roger

That Wing looks Much better now that you dusted it off and put some miles on it.

Nice Bike

Chuck
Tomorrow is a tech session to get the front fairing off and clean it up with a new windscreen, front headlamp and more . I Rode my first 130 mile day today on the GL1000. Testing it out before I work on it tomorrow. Found a few things to work on. Had a fun day. Here are some pics of my neighborhood.

Started the day here.

A spot on the side of the road. I stop at all new spots.

On the way back from Milo, I ran out of gas here. Arrow pointing downward, my reserve was on. I won't let let happen again. Maybe.

Sangerville, next to Dover.

Lots of bikes out today.

I rode over to Newport Motorsports motorcycle dealership today. Looking at bikes. Bought a throttle rocker. Sat on a few. They were out of the new 650R Ninja with the new upright seating position. Going ton Oakland tomorrow to see one. Lord help me.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #27 of 29 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

I've been enjoying the more naked Goldwing since I took off the front fairing and added a decent windscreen. The whole front fairing must weigh 30+ lbs. Much nicer ride now. No bags either. It has a small exhaust leak and doesn't get very good mileage but that's about all I can complain about now. Guess that's not too bad. I've put about 1100 miles on it this past month in the central area and the coast around Bah Habah.

Heres some of my ride yesterday near Bingham and Moscow.

Coastal area on Sunday.

Checking out the pit last weekend.

Bonfire Saturday night.

And the 43rd Annual Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race last Saturday morning.

This is only about 20% of what I take. Sorry so much. It's Doug's fault. He said to keep 'em coming.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

Last edited by RMoore007; Apr 21st, 2009 at 5:46 pm.
post #28 of 29 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 7:13 pm

Thanks Roger;

We all enjoy seeing what you are up to and looking at. Scenery is beautiful.

When I saw the pics of canoes and then the rapids I could see there was going to be some wet, cold folks. Looks like a good time had by all.

Great pics and the weather looks tolerable, thought there would still be more snow.

When is the best time to visit the area (for motorcycleing)? I need to set a date and then decide wether to ride/ride/ride or fly/ride/fly.

Might as well do Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (should that be 2 words?) while I'm there getting those last states to fill in my U.S. map.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #29 of 29 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
When I saw the pics of canoes and then the rapids I could see there was going to be some wet, cold folks. Looks like a good time had by all.
The race is over 10 miles of flatwater and 6.5 miles of whitewater. There were 951 people in 510 boats. The water temp was 34 degrees. The Six Mile Bridge area was where most of the people congregate. Where you see many people go over, and the ones that don't get a big applause.

Quote:
Great pics and the weather looks tolerable, thought there would still be more snow.
No snow here in the Dover area. Last year there was snow 'till May. Never know.

Quote:
When is the best time to visit the area (for motorcycleing)? I need to set a date and then decide wether to ride/ride/ride or fly/ride/fly.
Any time from June through October is nice. I would suggest fly/ride/fly as that will leave you more time to explore the northeast.

Quote:
Might as well do Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (should that be 2 words?) while I'm there getting those last states to fill in my U.S. map.
Newfy might be a little far but Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec would all be possible for someone like you who knows no bounderies. Quebec is only 113 miles or about 2.5 to 3 hours from here going northwest. NB at Houlton is 120 miles or just over 2 hours going east. NS is another 200 miles or 3.5 hours from there.

NH is 140 miles from here going southwest and then another 45-50 miles to Vermont.

All the other states south would have to be on an overnighter or two. You could easily fill in your map and be one of THOSE........ You know, overachievers. I don't know too many with full USA maps (all 50) plus Mexico and several Canadian Provinces.

My map is ok but I really need a ride down south from here.Then maybe a northern USA and Canadian run.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

Last edited by RMoore007; Apr 21st, 2009 at 11:18 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in