Coastal tour - Port Reyes to Fort Bragg - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Question Coastal tour - Port Reyes to Fort Bragg

After spending the winter in Arizona and Mexico, I need to head back home to BC, hopefully just in time for riding season to start up there. I have time for one little diversion en route and decided that highway #1 from Pt. Reyes up to Fort Bragg would be just the ticket. Any suggestions from you Bay Area guys on must sees, places to enjoy seafood, lodging, etc. would be great.

Also, if you have any route suggestions to get around the Bay area congestion would be great. I am likely coming up I-5 or 99 from Bakersfield. My SO is following in the SUV with the dog and the kitchen sink so this will be a low performance trip with emphasis on scenery and relaxation.

Cheers

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:52 am

Re: Coastal tour - Port Reyes to Fort Bragg

The coast highway is enough of an attraction, so you picked a good one there. If you're going that way on Friday, Saturday or Sunday stop at Ton'y s Seafood in Marshall (8 miles north of Point Reyes Station) for the best BBQ'd oysters on the planet. I would also recommend staying the night in Fort Bragg and having dinner and a couple of beers at the North Coast Brewery Tap Room. Great food and they make some damn fine beer.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Yiet,
Take hwy 1 north out of Fort Bragg. It is a spectacular stretch of road.It is one of the best motorcycle roads anywhere. If your wife is driving a big motorhome you may want her to take hwy 20 on the south side of Fort Bragg out to hwy 101 and meet you up at Legitt. She may not like the twisties on that section of hwy 1 as much as you.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 1:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A big +1 on what David said (mmmmmmm, the oysters are to die for). If the trip is truely for relaxation and scenery, you might think about taking a ride on the Skunk Train out of Ft. Bragg. Mendocino is a nice little ol hippie town that's now full of art studios and fine dining. It's just south of Ft. Bragg with some awesome ocean views where multiple currents converge.

Enjoy,
Jer (used to live in Cupertino, CA)

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Coastal tour - Port Reyes to Fort Bragg

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be sure to check those suggestions out. I'll probably also do a little diversion through the Lost Coast area. It looks very promising. I think the Usal Road will take me through to Ferndale. I expect it will be mostly dirt so I can make my GS work for its keep.

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in