CA. MC Insurance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Cool CA. MC Insurance

Anyone have any good MC insurance Co. Ideas, My Geico insurance just went up by 230 dollars, a 33% increase, supposedly for a ticket I had in 2006, but they raised my rate in 07 for same ticket, doesn't make sense, and they can not explain it, nor will they forward to anyone that can do anything about it. Sooooo, back in the market for MC insurance. Any suggestions appreciated.

Just Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 1:50 pm

Re: CA. MC Insurance

It's not just Geico, I just added the LT and Nationwide told me they just had an across the board increase. Both bikes will reup in May and I will check again then but its about a 25% increase for now. I've been checking around and every company I have found is higher.
Good Luck

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: CA. MC Insurance

I guess everyone is jumping on the economic downturn issue to raise rates, even when there is no correlation between peoples circumstances and the rise in fees. Credit interest being raised on folks with great credit, insurance rates going up when folks have had no change to their driving records, cable and satelite services with no change in service, water filtration equipment rental for the same old service and equipment, etc.

Oh well, hope we can remember what these companies have done when things get better!

Just Bob

post #4 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 2:51 pm

I carry my LT insurance threw CYCLE INSURE off Sunrise Blvd in Sacramento.
It is underwritten by FOREMOST.

I pay it yearly and just did the year in @ December, rate had been unchanged.
So maybe I dodged a bullet until 2010

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #5 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 3:28 pm

My rates have remained constant and resonable with State Farm. Another option is to get your bike insurance where you have your home and/or auto insurance. The multi-polict discounts tend to do a good job of knocking te costs down.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 4:22 pm
BMW Guru

Hey Bob,

Please call my friend Jeff Young, he owns Coastal One Insurance in Sacramento. I send all of my friends and customers to him and he always does them right. (he is a broker and can write with Foremost)

916 473 9564
[email protected]

2321 P St
Sacto Ca 95816

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:00 pm

I am also with Foremost. My rates had gone down for three years in a row and have leveled off the last two. Just paid my 2009 which was within $5 of 2008. $287 as I recall. 100/300, very comprehensive. No tickets or accidents, though.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #8 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 7:13 pm

I don't know if they do business in Ca. But I have Progressive and the rates are good. I pay about $175 a year.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #9 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have Progressive also. Service is good. Rates seem reasonable. They offer road side assistance with policies.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #10 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 7:55 pm

I have Foremst; just re-upped for this year, and rates had actually gone down by $8.00. Full coverage with Comp & Collission too. Paying $238.00.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 8:01 pm

+3 for Progressive.
100/300, $1000 deductable---$193/yr for 02 LT--$106/yr for 04 GS Adv.
Will see what happens with April renewal?

They fixed up my LT when it got rear-ended by a Kern Cnty Fire Truck to the tune of $7K.

Should have tried a claim when I broke the GS in half but could not figure how to explain that I was just riding along and look what happened.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

Last edited by dougholck; Mar 3rd, 2009 at 8:07 pm.
post #12 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 8:28 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

With Foremost, so far so good no increases.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #13 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 9:12 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
I didn't mention earlier but I'm also with Foremost and I haven't had any increases. I pay about $600 a year but I fully insure 3 BMW's and I'm under 40 years old...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #14 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:51 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I'm under 40 years old...
I'm sorry...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #15 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:58 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
Same here - no increases - just renewed effective 3/1 - $279 - 100/300 w/ $200 deductible

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #16 of 32 Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:13 am

Bob, I've been using GMAC insurance for several years, and although their rates are incredibly low with the current economy, who knows how long they'll still be in business! I rec'd the great rates because I part of a group package through the "Good Sam Club".

I understand that CSAA is, now, insuring motorcycles and their rates are supposed to be quite competitive.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #17 of 32 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:10 am

Don't hold this against me guys, But I sell this stuff for a living. I work for AAA, but advocate a healthy multiple search using the same info for comparable coverages. Use apples to apples. Not so honest agents use smoke and mirrors to get the rate under their competition. There are so many variables in determining your rate that one company may do great for your demographic and bike, while another won't. so do your homework and shop. Try to choose a company that has a A.M. Best rating of A or better (basically a financial stability rating). see ambest.com or ask the agent for this rating as he has to tell you. Lastly be responsible for your insurance "points" which you can get by moving violations or at fault accidents with over $750 of damage. This means taking on line school to remove moving violations. This which can be done every 18 months. Did you know 2 points on your record within 3 years will almost double your rate?
hope this helps

John Meyer Grass Valley

Johngvca - Nor-Cal -Some of the best riding

Current rides:
12 1600GT
12 F800GS Trophy
04 R1150R
post #18 of 32 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Hey Bob,

I agree with some of the other postings - Foremost is definitely challenging Progressive for this portion of the market. After many years with P, and a happy camper with their claims processing twice, I switched.

Dunno if it applies, (you too young???) but after moving up here and finding Progressive bumped our rate for Oregon, we tried AARP's Foremost, and got the best deal we could find at $190/year (for up here - prolly higher down there) with 100/300/50, towing to nearest qualified facility, roadside assistance, yada yada.

Might want to check it out...http://www.aarpforemost.com/

John

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #19 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 9:24 am

Bob
Too bad you are not mature enough! We get Foremost through AARP at a good rate (had State Farm multi vehicle for years but they can't beat AARP deal). Maturing has some advantages.
Larry
post #20 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 9:34 am

-1 for progressive. I have only had bad eperiences with them in the past on different policies. Then I went to get a quote for the LT when I had it and they wanted 900 a year for me. Geico was 300. I let you guess which one I went with.

I now pay about 430 a year for my 05 RT. However I am 31 years old. No tickets, no accidents, home owner, garage kept, married. Geico has been raising my rates everytime I go to change bikes. I had to argue with them when I bought the RT. They raised the rates on me for the GS stating a sportier bike than the LT. I'll give them that one. Then I bought the ST1300 and they raised my rates because of the 1300 motor and catergorized as a sport classification, WTF? Then the RT was suppose to go up but they had no justification and told them to cancel my policy. All of a suddent the rate came down. I will be chacking some alternatives out.
post #21 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:15 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTST
Bob
Too bad you are not mature enough! We get Foremost through AARP at a good rate (had State Farm multi vehicle for years but they can't beat AARP deal). Maturing has some advantages.
Larry

I don't know Larry, he looks old enough to me!

J/k Bob. So what's the scoop? Have u found a lower rate?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #22 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Question Re: CA. MC Insurance

Hi All, thanks for all the feedback, I got some great rates from Ins. Co. other then Geico and Progressive, I also have had bad exp. w/ Progressive claims on past cars. Dairyland gave me a real good quote and am contacting Foremost today. The issue is that my current contract with Geico ends in March and a ticket from 06 drops off in April. I am thinking I will pay the first installment in March then cancel in April and go with someone much cheaper in April. Anyone know if they (The insurance co.) go by the ticket date or the conviction date for determining the drop off date for a ticket ?

And no Ted, I am not mature enough....but you all knew that...grin.
post #23 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 2:22 pm

The insurance company uses your DMV record. It should say/indicate when it drops if you have a recent report. We use these all the time for screening both newhire and current drivers as well. Too many points and our commercial carrier won't cover them.

You can't really compare Oregon insurance with California. There is a whole different set of guidelines and presumptions of riding season. In know in PA you can buy a half year(viable riding season) as an option. My brother's insurance runs April 1 to Sept 30. Pays less than half of my premiums.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #24 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Wink Re: CA. MC Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo
You can't really compare Oregon insurance with California. There is a whole different set of guidelines and presumptions of riding season. In know in PA you can buy a half year(viable riding season) as an option. My brother's insurance runs April 1 to Sept 30. Pays less than half of my premiums.
All of the quotes I am getting are for California, regardless of where the insurance company is. They also have to be licensed to sell in California. Considering I am telling them 10 to 15K miles per year, and using the bike to commute, I am sure they don't think I am doing this in 6 mos. grin.

Last edited by Steve_R; Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:57 pm.
post #25 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Hi All, thanks for all the feedback, I got some great rates from Ins. Co. other then Geico and Progressive, I also have had bad exp. w/ Progressive claims on past cars. Dairyland gave me a real good quote and am contacting Foremost today. The issue is that my current contract with Geico ends in March and a ticket from 06 drops off in April. I am thinking I will pay the first installment in March then cancel in April and go with someone much cheaper in April. Anyone know if they (The insurance co.) go by the ticket date or the conviction date for determining the drop off date for a ticket ?

And no Ted, I am not mature enough....but you all knew that...grin.
The points with Geico come off 3 yrs from the date you got the ticket. But you will carry the point all the way to your next renewal. Some companies go by conviction date. The bummer is they will probably charge you a "short rate" to end them early. (usually a $50 charge they will send to collections if you don't pay).

John

Johngvca - Nor-Cal -Some of the best riding

Current rides:
12 1600GT
12 F800GS Trophy
04 R1150R
post #26 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Quote:
All of the quotes I am getting are for California, regardless of where the insurance company is. They also have to be licensed to sell in California. Considering I am telling them 10 to 15K miles per year, and using the bike to commute, I am sure they don't think I am doing this in 6 mos. grin.
With Geico I told them I ride about 2500 miles a year. The price goes down alot if you do that. Besides, they dont know the mileage on your bike. The Geico lady told me that if you were to ever ride more miles and need a claim they would just charge you the premium difference for more miles. The price of my insurance would be alot mre if I told them 10-15k miles per year. Just going to 5k miles made a difference.
post #27 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Tallyho, I know there's a BIG difference between Ore and Cal, but just wanted to offer up an additional possibility to Bob, that's all!

Yeah, I guess one of the reasons why it's cheaper up here is that the riding 'season' is MUCH shorter, but another reason is that the drivers here aren't nearly as wacko as what ya'll have to put up with.

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #28 of 32 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Exclamation Re: CA. MC Insurance

Guys Guys Guys!

Of all these posts only one mentioned the amount of coverage. I ride and I represent riders when stupid people do stupid things that cause the riders to be injured.

I can not stress enough how important it is to have as much coverage as you can afford. I just had to tell a client who has 200,000 plus in medical bills and may never be able to use his dominant hand again that the idiot girl that decided to make a u-turn from the curb only has 15,000 liability coverage. But guess what - that is all he had as well. If he had been prudent enough (I know he could afford it) to get at the very least a 100,000 policy then he would have been able to at least get another 85,000 over the girl's policy.

It does not take very much to rack up thousands of dollars in hospital, ambulance, radiology, and doctor bills.

Remember to get UM (uninsured motorist) coverage. Most people think that because Calif. re requires everyone to have insurance then they don't need um. In Calif. UM is the same is Underinsured Motorist Coverage. So with the guy above, she only had 15K. If he had anything above that then at least he would have gotten a little more. I have over a million tied into my umbrella coverage and with lots of Medical Payments coverage as well. Again, most people think, well I have Kaiser or Blue Shield/Cross - won't matter when someone does something stupid and your insurance company will only cover 6 physical therapy sessions.

We spend thousands on our bikes over the years, yet we cheap out with insurance.

Please take it from someone who sees a lot of injured riders. I wish I had a dime for every blank stare I get after explaining this to some poor guy or gal who was doing nothing wrong but enjoying a nice ride.

I know times are tough - but trust me - you don't want to get caught without enough insurance.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #29 of 32 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 1:34 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopaca
Guys Guys Guys !Of all these posts only one mentioned the amount of coverage.
Doesn't make sense to quote a rate without stating what your paying for! And, now you have me really thinking I don't have enough coverage.

Last weekend was riding the PCH with my wife. Speed was 55 - 60. We were in the left lane this guy in the right lane just decided to stop to enter the parking lot of a restaurant. This caused the car directly behind him to swerve. Luckily he saw us in the left lane and stayed somewhat in the right lane as best he could.

This happened so fast that IF he had come all the way into the left lane he would have taken us out - there was literally no time to react and avoid.

What was a non-issue due to the attentiveness of this driver could have been disaster for my wife and me.

I'll be increasing my coverage Monday morning - thanks for taking the time to relate your experiences.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Last edited by Steve_R; Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:59 pm.
post #30 of 32 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
With Geico I told them I ride about 2500 miles a year. The price goes down alot if you do that. Besides, they dont know the mileage on your bike. The Geico lady told me that if you were to ever ride more miles and need a claim they would just charge you the premium difference for more miles. The price of my insurance would be alot mre if I told them 10-15k miles per year. Just going to 5k miles made a difference.
OH dont be misled First the the Geico lady did not put that in writing did she.

Insurance co.'s have batteries of lawyers whose sole job is to word policies so that they do not have to pay.

They will not "just ad in the difference" If they find out that you got hurt at mile 2501 They will drop you like that hot rock.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

Never Lie to your insurance agent or your Lawyer.

Dont believe Me? WE have a 3 Mil umbrella Policy for the CO. One of our students Accused ! another student of assault . and claimed since this took place during school WE were also sued.

OUR insurance co. said we don't insure you for assault so we wont defend.

WE were ONly ACCUSED!!! no police involved no witness to support ( Our side had 17 Witness) NO MATTER they would not defend.

So I asked what if I was in a Barn and Two people who I did not know got into a fight The commotion frightened the horse I was working On at the other end of the barn causing injury .
"will you defend "

NO there was a crime. The assault . no matter we were not the people doing the assaulting They had wiggle words saying they had no requirement to defend or pay if there was a crime involved.
NO scenario I proposed could get them to do what I had payed THOUSANDS for them to do .

And remember it only took an allegation of a crime. Lying on your paper work gives them cause. They know how many miles you ride based on Fuel, service work done How many miles you had how many miles you have..... They will pay a bean counter to save them thousands. And all they have to do Is Deny you then YOU have to sue Them to prove otherwise.

AND now all they have to do Is Google search this site.

Insurance is a nessity I hope you never need it . There are good co.'s But you need to do your homework .

WE had Markell May they rot...

Chuck
post #31 of 32 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Presnail
Insurance co.'s have batteries of lawyers whose sole job is to word policies so that they do not have to pay.
And be especially careful with Geico. They have a clause that they don't have to pay a dime if you ride over 500 miles in 24 hours. Now that may not be every rider here or even every day, but I know some of y'all like to pile on the miles.

It would really suck to be riding home from CCR and have an altercation with a deer, only to find out that you have no coverage at all because you happened to ride 8 or 9 hours that day.

Always read the fine print.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #32 of 32 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:33 am

Quote:
Anyone have any good MC insurance Co. Ideas, My Geico insurance just went up by 230 dollars, a 33% increase, supposedly for a ticket I had in 2006, but they raised my rate in 07 for same ticket, doesn't make sense, and they can not explain it, nor will they forward to anyone that can do anything about it. Sooooo, back in the market for MC insurance. Any suggestions appreciated.

Just Bob.
Give Allstate a try, I just switched auto & bikes and saved a bunch including a 1M umbrella. Must have decent record for 3 years.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in