insulation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

insulation

I spent the past two days insulating the garage attic. I had to move stuff to one side to insulate then move it agin to the insulated side to insulate the other. Of course there was going up and down the attic staircase at least 40 times.

It's 97% done. Just have to cut some small pieces to insulatea small area around the window.

It should be much cooler in the summer and less cold in the winter.

I am beat and have pains in muscles I didn't know I had.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Re: insulation

I know what you mean Raffy!

My current body killing job came about when I tested for Radon in my home. Found a pretty high level, and have been researching the mitigation methods for a while now. It would be easy if I had a nice bed of gravel under the basement slab. Of course I don't! Drilled a couple test holes and found that the slab is pretty much poured on top of clay.

The mitigation method of choice is "Sub Slab Depressurization" If it had been on gravel, one pipe through the slab and out to a radon fan, exhausted above the roof would work. Unfortunately, I have to have multiple penetrations.

On top of that, I discovered that the slab is 7-8" thick!!!! Questioned the builder (lived here until he built a new home just down the street) and found that he was not happy with the contractor who poured the slab, and had him pour another one on top of it.

So far, I have core drilled four 5" dia. holes through with a hammer drill, dug out 5 gallons of clay from under each of them, still have to drill and dig one more. Bending over those holes and hand digging out the clay has just about killed my back!

Then I have to run 3" pipe up from each one and connect them all together with horizontal pipes in the basement ceiling and out the wall to the radon fan. That is going to be a bit of a nightmare in itself.

Radon was not much of an issue in CA, but here in TN it is a common problem.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Wow! That would have killed my lower back.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Hey Raffy, I did the same a few years ago. I put in an attic ladder and insulated the attic before laying down some flooring. Its a significant difference. You can go one step further and insulate the garage door. Its where the majority of your heat will be lost now that you insulated. I wouldnt call it warm in the winter or cool in the summer but it has got alot better than it was. I know your pain on the insulation. It sucked putting it in.
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 9:53 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Yup the garage door. It is a sectional. looks like 1.5" deep by 4' in length. I think I'll use Styrofoam pieces. Regular insulation will make it heavy for the youngest kid and grandpa.

Raffy
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 9:14 am

Raffy,

You could also use the spray type insulating foam on that door...

Easy, AND Cheesy.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:13 am

Look into a radiant barrier for the door. Its basically a silver mylar backing that reflects the heat. It won't add much mass or thickness to your door.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:06 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks guys for the recommendations. It's one of this weekend's projects.

Raffy
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Raffy,

You could also use the spray type insulating foam on that door...

Easy, AND Cheesy.

John
Don't do this. Don't ask me how I know.

The white panels of beadboard (expanded polystyrene) are the best way to go. Light and relatively inexpensive and good "R" value per inch.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Insulation? Isn't there where I put you and Doug between me and Grif at CCR?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Look into a radiant barrier for the door. Its basically a silver mylar backing that reflects the heat. It won't add much mass or thickness to your door.
Yeah, pretty easy to do if you buy the silver radiant insulation. YOu can also buy it from McMaster carr as well as at Lowes. Use the 3-M High Strength 90 spray adhesive. I have done alot of research into this as this was a project of mine at work. Preferably look into the double bubble insulation and look at the R-rating. On a side note the R-rating will vary depending on the surface and application so wehn comparing R-rating, look to see what application. This is the stuff they use for wrapping houses in the modwest or lining metal outdoor buildings.

The foams can work better. Look for the silver lined versions and look at the R-ratings. The foams can be more of a problem when they get wet or stuff on it and you need to be very carefull about the thickness and distance form the edges to leave clearance while the door rolls up. The lined foam sheets will be better at that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in