A Maine Disturbance In The Force - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:35 am Thread Starter

A Maine Disturbance In The Force

I will be staying in ME throughout the winter and spring now. The Kawasaki Mule utility vehicle is in storage until the snow melts so I had nothing to use for exploring. Since we live in the center of a state that has over 13,000 miles of trails and is a $300 million dollar industry, I decided to go looking for a SLED. I did the deal at a Yamaha dealership in Newport just last Thursday and by 4pm was ready to ride it home on the ITS trail to my house in Dover, 24 miles away. I got home about 5:30 and the temperature was at -8 degrees already. By morning, it was -32. What was I thinking. The only thing that was NOT cold on my body was my toes and ears. I bought all my gear at the dealership too which included a Yamaha jacket and bibs, gloves, boots and an HJC electric double visor helmet.

My sled is a 2009 Yamaha Venture Lite, a 2 cylinder, 3 valve 4 stroke that gets 20mpg and will go about 85mph. It has 500cc's and is over 80hp. It's a two-up touring sled that has a storage rack in the rear behind the passenger backrest. It has heated grips and heated thumb warmer. Also heated grips for the passenger.

The clubs around here are very active and do lots of stuff. I should be able to meet several local enthusiasts and even start an HDDC maybe. I haven't been out on it too much yet but there is a local route I did that takes you to town, over the covered bridge and into some twisites which I will take some pictures soon an post. About 10 miles of views, wide open spaces to test top end speeds, tight trails, twisties and several river and street crossings to mix it up. That is just one of dozens of routes that I can discover this winter. I plan on going up to Greenville to Moosehead lake from here and other points north.

I continue to explore the building of cabins on our property here. Everyone I talk to thinks it's a good idea. My plan is to have 3 log cabin/homes with a large oversized garage for all the toys with seperate quarters above the garage. The lot on our property here that I want to use for the cabins is right on route 7 and the Interstate Trail System for sledding and atving. Our property alone has a 40 acre wetlands and stream running through it, a 20 acre gravel/sand pit along with my brothers and cousins adjoining 55 acres. We have lots of trails in our own back yard. There are hundreds of tracks all over our pit from snowmobilers. Some of the tracks are scary to follow. These enthusiasts are nuts.

Anyways, I'll take pictures this week and post here. Now, I need to get all my gear on and take a spin. It's going to snow for a couple days and the trails should be perfect. One brother is now looking for a sled and should have one soon. I'm a bad influence.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 11:50 am

Re: A Maine Disturbance In The Force

Very cool, Roger. Have fun.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin - but making great time.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Cool Roger! Cold even!

Pictures man pictures.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Old Dawg

Good stuff riding a sled for sure! Brad and I used to take all the trails in Tahoe and it was a blast. Good thing you got gear because everything you wear will smell like exhaust in no time so at least you won't ruin any other clothing.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 7:12 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
Good stuff riding a sled for sure! Brad and I used to take all the trails in Tahoe and it was a blast. Good thing you got gear because everything you wear will smell like exhaust in no time so at least you won't ruin any other clothing.
Not if he bought a 4-stroke

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Congrats, Roger, that looks like fun! i[ve always wanted to try smowmobiling.

And look the married couple are back from their cruise! How was the honeymoon, boys?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 3:14 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Nice Roger, let us know when your ready for some visitors!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2009, 9:51 am

Good score Roger. remember to drink fluids ( the non alcohol kind) and it's good if you can count to 20 when you get home. no fractions!

I lived in the UP for years and snow machines were a way of life there one place I lived you either skied in or used a sled ( I was a student then and could only afford skies and a toboggan to move fire wood and food.

Have fun

Chuck

OH and pics please !
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 10:51 am Thread Starter

Sorry no pictures yet, I'm on the wrong computer right now but I'll get some posted later today if I can.

I plan on going up to Moosehead Lake today. I'm waiting for my brother to get some chores done first. It's only going to get up to about 5-10 above today but the sun is out bright. It's amazing that it is as comfortable as it is even withoutt heated gear. Layering and filling all the cracks in the neck are the key. And the heated shield is great. The perfect snowmobiling day for me is the 10's and 20's with sun.

I find that this sport is a little related to dual sport motorcycling as many of the same things are involved. Like putting on all the gear, meeting and greeting at gas stations for breaks, taking on straight-a-ways, twisties, hills and moguls plus waving. Although the waving part is a little more serious than the bike wave. You can't see around corners and have to be prepared for coming traffic so they have a one or more finger gesture or the solid fist. One means one more snowmobile coming in my group, two fingers means two more or the last person will give the fist to indicate he's the last of that party. Kind of neat but I get them mixed up sometime.

I can't believe how many groomed trails there are here. There are hundreds of miles of trails just in my neighborhood. And I can get anywhere from here. They take it seriously. And I'm right on the intersection of the Covered Bridge run and the state ITS trail system. We see hundreds of sleds go by each day, especially on the weekends. Most people are faster than me and I will let them go by if I can. I'm just not that fast and like to take it a little slower. Most of the sleds you see will go over a hundred and the over 700cc classes will go well over that, even to 150 and more. Pretty scarey to me.

Scott mentioned that my clothes would smell like exhaust and I can see why. My brothers is a two stroke like most of them and I try to keep my distance as it can get quite smelly right behind him. I don't think there is any smell behind mine like what Ted said.

I'll post later with some pictures.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #10 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Here are some pictures that I promised.

I started out yesterday for a ride up to Moosehead lake forty miles away and the trail was just groomed all for me...

Here is my GPS sitting in a windshield bag along with Guantlet covers for my hands...

Stopped at The Black Frog in Greenville for a beer and sandwich...

An overlook...

Different trail looks...

The Bridge...

Twisties right in my back yard...

The Covered Bridge run is 12.8 miles from our house and includes all terrain...

And I ran into a few sleds at The Bears Den one day...

My brother bought an older sled with only 1850 miles on it...mine already has 518 miles...

These guys passed me like I was stopped...oh wait, I was...

I was getting gas in Monson and got to take this picture from the rear of the house...it's kind of tipping in places...

And another shot along the trail somewhere...

I have spent almost every day on the new sled with over 500 miles and still haven't even touched all the trails in and around the area. The snowmobile clubs along the trails are open on weekends and serve coffee, etc. along with a place to stop and plan your trails for the day. They encourage memberships so there will be funds to keep up the groomed trails.

I don't consider any weather too extreme for me yet. I've been out in below freezing temps and am comfortable enough. It is almost perfect riding weather if it's sunny and in or above the teens. I can see where riding in the thirties with sun can get you warm in the space suits.

More pictures if you want later.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #11 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Great pics Roger. Looks like a blast. Are the sleds all lined up in front of the local watering hole?

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:34 am

Cool sled Roger !

when I first saw it I thought it looked like a winter GS ! looks like a lot of fun. and with that rear rack you can go shopping. Or heaven forbid Snow camping.

Chuck
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2009, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Great pics Roger. Looks like a blast. Are the sleds all lined up in front of the local watering hole?
Yes, the place is called The Bears Den and is a restaurant and bar with cabins. It's only about 4 miles from home. It's usually packed during the weekends and evenings. Bands regularly. I can get to many stores and gas stations along the trail. Signs will direct you to different establishments as they are behooved to make trails for customers.

I plan on several overnighter's. No camping. I should be able to do 200-300 mile days quite comfortably. I can't believe how many trails there are locally. With over 13,000 miles of trails and a $300 million dollar industry, I should find plenty to do.

It's snowing right now and should drop about a foot before it's over. This weekend will be perfect for snowmobiling. In a couple weeks, there is a yearly festival in Dexter about 10 miles from here on Lake Wassokeag where over 1 thousand sleds will show up for the three day event.

Tomorrow morning, I will need to get my 500 mile service done at the dealer which is 25 miles away. I have an 11:00 appointment so will leave around 9:30-9:45.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #14 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Reminds of the 6+ yrs I spent in Western NY.

Roger:

Start a bed and breakfast with snowmobile rental. You'll do well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Reminds of the 6+ yrs I spent in Western NY.

Roger:

Start a bed and breakfast with snowmobile rental. You'll do well.
I have an acre in mind where I would like to put a few cabins with garage for toys. Good idea on the sled rentals too. I had no idea how popular a sport it is until my recent purchase of my Yamaha and exposure to what is out there.

Along with the winter sports, I can see where the summer and fall would have their advantages too. Cabins would also be motorcycle and all terrain vehicle friendly.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in